New Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Gershom

New Pipe

Post by Gershom »

Hey all. I anxiously await your critique. This is the first dremel-tool rustication job that I have done. I was told the recipient wanted something akin to Jake Hackert's Pokers... All I can say is that I tried. :) I do have one question; When you finish with Poly, you only put it on the stummel, right? Then finish the stem with Carnuba? Thanks again guys for helping me become better.

Algerian Briar, Vulcanite Stem

USMC Black, British Tan

Stummel Finish: Poly
Stem Finish: White, then Trip, then Carnuba
Massis

Re: New Pipe

Post by Massis »

In general, a very nice pipe. The overal composition is something I like.

However, did you polish/sand with the stem removed? The edges on the shank/stem transaction have pretty rounded corners. Furthermore I believe the stem is actually wider than the shank about .5" past the beginning of the stem? it kind of bulges out to the sides there....

I'm not sure how I feel about the rustication on the sides of the stummel, but I like the way it looks on the rim.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Polyurethane is a no-no on pipes. It bubbles and peels if the bowl gets too hot. A thin layer of shellac is a better option.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

With "Poly" do you mean polish?
Polish the whole pipe (stummel and stem) with tripoli, and then the same with carnauba. I know some guys also use white diamond between the 2.