My Lathe Broke

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
RadDavis

My Lathe Broke

Post by RadDavis »

So the switch on my lathe has worn out. I was in the middle of cutting a shank yesterday, and when I went to turn it on there was nothing but a buzz. It runs in reverse just fine. Only that doesn't help much.

I've ordered a new switch, and it will be here Tuesday.

Fortunately, I live only 20-25 minutes from my good friend Brian Rowley, who very kindly agreed to let me use his shop this morning to cut some stems for 5 pipes that I had drilled before the lathe crapped out. With the Vegas show coming up next weekend, Brian was a life saver.

I would just like to declare publicly that Brian is "The Man". :lol:

Now I have plenty of shaping to do while I await that fucking switch.

Rad
The Smoking Yeti

Re: My Lathe Broke

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Wow Rad, I didn't know you could say something nice or uplifting!

Hope this helps.

Yeti

P.S. Good Job!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Brain is awesome! I know he definitely enjoys his interactions with you, Rad. Hurrah for camaraderie.
the rev

Post by the rev »

Hey Rad, I will be at the Vegas show. Just wanted to let you know I am a former pro fighter, so when it comes time to smack me and say, leave me alone noob...

just let me know as I will probably be able to hit myself much harder than you could

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Nate

Post by Nate »

Well done Brian!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Good show!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Rad, that sounds like more than a switch to me.

When my table saw failed, it when "brrrt" and wouldn't go properly, and what was happening was there's a little flippy connector thing that's supposed to contact something briefly (a capacitor if I remember right) and give the motor a kick to start. That system fried, needed a new capacitor, andthe flippy thing.

Switch dies and the motor just won't start - all a switch does is close a circuit.

I could very easily be wrong here, but what you are saying reminds me of a 300 dollar repair I once had on my Baldor.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Sasquatch wrote:Rad, that sounds like more than a switch to me.

When my table saw failed, it when "brrrt" and wouldn't go properly, and what was happening was there's a little flippy connector thing that's supposed to contact something briefly (a capacitor if I remember right) and give the motor a kick to start. That system fried, needed a new capacitor, andthe flippy thing.

Switch dies and the motor just won't start - all a switch does is close a circuit.

I could very easily be wrong here, but what you are saying reminds me of a 300 dollar repair I once had on my Baldor.
I understand what you're saying, Squatchie, but the switch had been getting "stiff" for the past week or so turning on and off. The thing the tells me it's not the capacitor, is that it runs just fine in reverse. If it was the capacitor, the motor wouldn't run at all would it?

I hope it's just the switch.....

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah I'm not sure.... is this a 220V single phase?

I hope it's just the switch too, but in every instance of switch failure, from triggers to 3-phase magnetic kills (and I've seen about 1/2 a dozen different ones), when the switch died, the machine would do nothing at all. Switches are a yes/no proposition usually, and your motor should run properly or not at all if it's just the switch, unless it's somehow a more complicated apparatus than I would guess (and this is entirely possible).
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Growley

Post by Growley »

Yeah, the buzz or hum, makes me wonder if Sas is right on this one. My air conditioner did the same thing. I know, it's a different beast, but same principals probably. It woud click on and just hum or buzz. Once I changed the capacitor it worked fine.

Well, the good news I guess, is that if you're down a while, you can take your anti-claustrophobia pill and work in my "shop".
Charl

Post by Charl »

That's a bad one, Rad.
Had a motor die on me a year or so ago. It's not funny.
I think that maybe Mr Askwith are being quite clever with having 5 lathes.