Greetins!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
waznyf

Greetins!

Post by waznyf »

Hey everyone,

My name is Frank and I guess this is my formal "hello" to this online community!
I have been a pipe smoker for nearly one year now, and more recently I have been drawn to pipe crafting after being amazed by the craftsmanship that I see presented by many artisans on Facebook.
I am fairly shy but it has been made clear to me that being shy and hiding from these threads and criticism will only hurt me as a new pipe maker. I am ready to face the wrath of your advice lol

I just received a copy of PIMO's Guide To Pipe Crafting At Home and started to lurk on this forum.
To be frank, I have very little experience with any sort of woodworking. While many opportunities have been presented to me growing up it never appealed to me.
With that being said, I am still fortunate enough to have a family friend who not only happens to be a carpenter but who also is granting me full access to his shop as well as training on the lathe etc.

I have a pipe kit to get me started but I feel as if I am still a bit far from starting yet. I am certain that I have all of the power tools that are generally "required" for making pipes but I don't know if I have all the "smaller" things ie. bits, stem rods, good sand paper, stain, etc.
This is where I was hoping you guys/gals could help me figure out what else I will need other than power tools such as a lathe, drill press, band saw, etc. I know that a lot of this is purely based on opinion but I ask the question with that in mind.

Other than continually pushing myself to not give up, my other main challenge is utilizing this forum as best as possible to gain the information that I need. I understand that this craft as with many will take time and I am willing to dedicate that time... And money lol to reach my goal. Thank you all for welcoming me and I look forward to seeing you around the forum!

Regards,
Frank
"Without music, life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche
the rev

Re: Greetins!

Post by the rev »

welcome to the forum brother. First pipe I made I only had one tool, a two inch hand held belt sander that I held in my lap upside down. I do not recommend doing this :)

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
waznyf

Greetins!

Post by waznyf »

Rev,

Thanks I appreciate the warm welcome!
Other than figuring out what else I need and coming to the realization that the wood lathe available to me won't be as efficient as a metal lather, I am ready to start!
Guess I'll be happy with what I have for now and work with it :)

Regards,
Frank
the rev

Post by the rev »

if you go to a flea market you can pick up lots of files, rasps, and maybe a dremel tool those are all helpful. And unless you are making your own stems you don't really need a metal lathe.

rev

waznyf

Greetins!

Post by waznyf »

Rev,

If you don't make your own though, aren't you than subject to using already made stems?
If so, I thought that was generally avoided...?

Regards,
Frank
the rev

Post by the rev »

most of the guys here will tell you just use premolded stems for a while and work on your carving.

There are two ways that you can make your stems though without a metal lathe, the one is using a delrin tenon and there are instructions in the stem section here.

The other is to ask the person you are getting your wood from to send you a piece of rod with the tenon cut for you, this is what I have done.

Oh, and just for clarification, I don't really know anything, so don't listen to me. Don't listen to Sasquatch either, he knows a lot, but he is just mean and throws pipes at Ernie

rev

waznyf

Greetins!

Post by waznyf »

Rev,

Thanks for the information!
I don't fear fictional beings lol so no worries about Sasquatch ;)
I will read the stem section to find out more about delrin.

Regards,
Frank
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Fictional????

ouch.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

waznyf wrote:Rev,

Thanks for the information!
I don't fear fictional beings lol so no worries about Sasquatch ;)
I will read the stem section to find out more about delrin.

Regards,
Frank
He may be fictional, but even fictional creatures have feelings. :lol:

Welcome, Frank! I look forward to seeing your pipes!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard