Eeeeee--vil . . .

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ToddJohnson

Eeeeee--vil . . .

Post by ToddJohnson »

So I've had a commission outstanding for 2 1/2 years that I finally finished up over the break. In 2002 I did a series of 12 LOTR pipes. One customer wanted to make a set from them and ordered several. My plan was to create Sauron as my magnum pipe opus, but I came down with a bad case of . . . er, "carver's block" until recently. I was finally able to bring the design together in my mind and this is what I came up with. I thought you folks might be interested to see what they're teaching me here in Divinity School :) I had a great time carving this thing, but I won't do anything like it for at least 5 years. BTW, I am now certain that Trever Talbert is a complete masochist. :)

Enjoy: http://www.stoabriars.com/photos/SauronGroup.JPG

Todd
JMB

Post by JMB »

Todd when I click on a pic I get the same view each time. The top pic on the list.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Um...nice?

:P

Wow.

8O

Tyler
marks

Post by marks »

Very impressive...

Now, make six more just like it for a seven day set! :D
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

marks wrote:Very impressive...

Now, make six more just like it for a seven day set! :D
No problem. Just give me 40 more years (I'm bound to screw up at least 2 right?) and I'll have 'em done.

Todd
jeff

Post by jeff »

Great pipe Trevor...oh, is that your's Todd? Or is that a 40 year old, preshaped stummel? :P

Honestly, that is a very impressive pipe in a genre that I had no clue you were interested in. I can't imagine how much time was invested. Beauty...er, very creative. :?

Jeff
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Wow Todd, that is a very nice pipe!

I can't imagine carving such a pipe. How long did it take you to complete after you got through 'carver's block'?
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

here's my question... What on earth does a pipe smoker see in such a pipe. I know, I know... opinions, eyes and beholders and what not. But come on! That's just bizarro!

My hats off to the creator, however. Regardless of why he was hired to do something that wierd the detail, time and effort are plain to see. Amazing, IMO.

A well done, detailed, intricate, ugly pipe :D :P
Last edited by bscofield on Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff

Post by jeff »

I don't know. I think this genre of pipe is great. I don't know that I'd be able to do anything like it myself. The amazing thing is that despite the admittedly scary appearance that the pipe displays that there is a fundamental elegence in its structure and framework. Now that is where the real skill is displayed, in my opinion.

JG
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

Todd,

The sandblast finish is very cool! I haven't seen too many "carved" pipes but most that I have seen are either smooth or rusticated. The blast work is very fitting for the subject.

The work that you did on the shank is particularly original and impressive. I was very impressed by your creativity in transforming the shank into a spine. It seems to be the obvious solution now that you have done it but before seeing it I wouldn't have thought to do it. (if that makes any sense?? :? )

That said the shank does look a bit fragile. I noticed that the "true" shank is quite short and the stem penetrates through the facade you created. Does this cause difficulty when putting on and pulling off the stem (due to the curve of the stem limiting the clearance when twisting)? I would have been inclined to have the "true" shank nearly as long as the facade (perhaps stopping 1/4 inch or so short so as to hide the joint). Was this impractical for you or was it purely a style decision to do it the way you did?

Regarless, that is one cool ¤ss pipe!!!
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

To the comment regarding the "weak shank" I can give you my opinion as one who has a fair amount of "weak looking" shanks on long faril looking pipes (many of them Todd's :-). Anyway, as a collector when I purchase a pipe such as described above it is bought with a very specific purpose in mind and it's not walking around and doing lawn work it's for sitting alone and among friends and is meant to be smoked with pipe in hand in a relaxed atmosphere, the way a pipe is meant to be smoked imnsho.

The very nature of the pipes construction forces the relaxed circumstance, when I'm smoking one of these "fragile" pieces in general inmeans that the world or the moment is pretty good, the act of gettig up to activity requires that the pipe be put down and smoked again when the time and circumstance permits.

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

So the shank is fragile?

Obviously, one wouldn't play a game of football with any pipe in your mouth, let alone a prized piece, but accidents so happen just the same.

I was commenting more out of curiosity, because I don't own a pipe with a shank constructed like that one. I do like meersaums despite there fragile nature but they are fragile.
Nick

Post by Nick »

WWHHHHOOAA!!

Way cool Todd! You are my hero! I love the spine, and the one eye. And who knows, Sauron might have been such a bastid that he did have a wicked grin going all day long. Way cool. You're a monster!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Brendhain wrote:Todd,

The sandblast finish is very cool! I haven't seen too many "carved" pipes but most that I have seen are either smooth or rusticated. The blast work is very fitting for the subject.

The work that you did on the shank is particularly original and impressive. I was very impressed by your creativity in transforming the shank into a spine. It seems to be the obvious solution now that you have done it but before seeing it I wouldn't have thought to do it. (if that makes any sense?? :? )

That said the shank does look a bit fragile. I noticed that the "true" shank is quite short and the stem penetrates through the facade you created. Does this cause difficulty when putting on and pulling off the stem (due to the curve of the stem limiting the clearance when twisting)? I would have been inclined to have the "true" shank nearly as long as the facade (perhaps stopping 1/4 inch or so short so as to hide the joint). Was this impractical for you or was it purely a style decision to do it the way you did?
The tenon is nylon, so there's no twisting involved when inserting the stem. Making the "true shank" as long as the spine would have made it impossible to get a draft hole into the tobacco chamber for starters, but I never even considered it since that wasn't the design I had in mind. The stem is supposed to snake through what looks like a spinal column. That was the idea. As to it being fragile, of course it's fragile, but I made him sign an agreement not to smoke it while digging ditches or washing his car. He owns an 8 knuckle Elephant's Foot for doing those sorts of things.

Todd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

what on earth is an 8 knuckle elephant's foot??
jeff

Post by jeff »

bscofield wrote:what on earth is an 8 knuckle elephant's foot??
It's an elephant's foot shape (see http://www.glpease.com/Pipes/Shapes/Elephant.html) with an 8 knuckle bamboo shank (the little nodes that appear along bamboo are called knuckles).

JG
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Gotcha... I knew both of those things individualy but did not put them together.

Elephants foot with that much bamboo... hmm. Does that sound like a strange combo to anyone else? I've always thought of elephant's as sort of heavy and bamboo as sort of delicate. Interesting combo that would be. Todd, got an pics of that?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Sounds pretty cool to me. Eltang has this reaaly cool looking long pipe on www.nicepricepipes.com, seen here: http://www.nicepricepipes.com/deu/5075.html

Tooo cool!

When I grow up, I wanna be like Tom Eltang. Or maybe Random. Not sure yet.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Nick wrote:Sounds pretty cool to me. Eltang has this reaaly cool looking long pipe on www.nicepricepipes.com, seen here: http://www.nicepricepipes.com/deu/5075.html

Tooo cool!

When I grow up, I wanna be like Tom Eltang. Or maybe Random. Not sure yet.
Yes, I believe that one was designed either for painting your living room or playing tennis. :)

Todd