121102 - Billiard Blast

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bandkbrooks

121102 - Billiard Blast

Post by bandkbrooks »

#2 of 4 new ones.

This one was fun and I am hoping the closest I've come to a straight up legit billiard. The shank has a small ring of black stained briar just before the stem. Ready to be logo stamped.

Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
Ocelot55

Re: 121102 - Billiard Blast

Post by Ocelot55 »

I'm really liking the blast and finish on this one. Good job.
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Thank you. It was a fun one to do.
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Probably the best of what you've posted recently Brandon.

In terms of orthodoxy, I'd say your shank is a bit thick for the bowl - bowl height is okay, but it presents visually as a bit thin. Might work better with a straighter bowl (less brandy), or this bowl with a thinner shank (Danish take on billiard).

The stem is better than some of the others you've posted, the button cut more cleanly. It's still thick looking, and I'm unsure how comfortable it would be compared to even a good factory-ish stem like a Ser Jac. There's a little bit of zeppelin shape to the stem too, it's bulged outward just a bit, curving ever so slightly to the button rather than being a hard straight line.

The slot looks pretty thick.... hard to tell proportions, but that looks like 3/32" and 1/16" would be better.

But lots of other little things are being done right - bowl to shank nice and tight, for example, and your symmetry is pretty good.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Probably the best of what you've posted recently Brandon.
Thank you. I have been a student of the Billiard. I really want to be able to nail this shape consistently.
In terms of orthodoxy, I'd say your shank is a bit thick for the bowl - bowl height is okay, but it presents visually as a bit thin. Might work better with a straighter bowl (less brandy), or this bowl with a thinner shank (Danish take on billiard).
Is this the change you are describing?

The stem is better than some of the others you've posted, the button cut more cleanly. It's still thick looking, and I'm unsure how comfortable it would be compared to even a good factory-ish stem like a Ser Jac. There's a little bit of zeppelin shape to the stem too, it's bulged outward just a bit, curving ever so slightly to the button rather than being a hard straight line.
The slot looks pretty thick.... hard to tell proportions, but that looks like 3/32" and 1/16" would be better.
I am having trouble keeping the slot thin. What are you using to widen the front part of the slot? I've been using the 1/16" bit and then some small saw blades to create the fishtail. Stems have been very frustrating for me lately. I've sanded through several lately and dropped on just right enough to break it. I did 3 stems for the volcano pipe trying to get it even close to being right.

But lots of other little things are being done right - bowl to shank nice and tight, for example, and your symmetry is pretty good.][/quote]
Thank you again.
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes