Dedicating Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
e Markle

Dedicating Pipes

Post by e Markle »

I hereby dedicate all future pipes issued from esteemed House of Markle to the illustrious and emulation-worthy name of one Darth Vader.

Please don't be confused into thinking that I'm taking sides - I support the rebellion as much as any man. It just turns out that my perspective is broader than those of you who oppose Lord Vader. I appreciate his many merits, namely:
1. Telekinesis - I respect any many who can strangle another *without* actually laying hands on him.
2. A stunning wardrobe - as a desert dweller, I'm intensely jealous of those who can shroud themselves in black vinyl *and then* add a completely superfluous cape (also black).
3. Space travel - need I elucidate?

It's my expansive virtue of tolerance that allows me to overlook what some call "sins" that Vader has committed against innocents. These include:
1. Destroying an entire planet of peace loving people (viz. Alderaan - see Episode IV)
2. Cutting down his own Master (ibid)
3. Relentlessly pursuing a motley band of rebels across entire galaxies simply for the purpose of dominating them. (Episodes IV, V & VI)

If you wish to comment, please be sure to restrict your thoughts to Darth Vader et al. I would be mortified if anyone thought I was making reference to real world events or characters.
Sasquatch

Re: Dedicating Pipes

Post by Sasquatch »

Having sworn a blood-oath to oppose Ernie Markle, his friends, his parents, his parents' friends, and anyone he's ever done business with, I would like to offer a shield, as it were, against his seemingly innocent remarks. The insidious nature of his writings, replete with assurances of moderation, benevolence, and "broader perspective", might prey on those with weaker minds than my own; I am therefore duty-bound.

Feminist Epistemology in its coarsest form rejects the notion that there is one single describable "true" state of the universe, in opposition to what might be called traditional Western Analytic philosophy. Laying out an argument that this is incorrect naturally begs the question in the first place. Consider this as a reductio then.

In answer to Mr Garble's premises, I submit the following.

1. There is no evidence that in fact Mr Vader strangles Admiral Ozzel. Any number of equally satisfactory (and far simpler) explanations can be suggested: perhaps a stunt pre-orchestrated to ensure the enduring loyalty of the rest of the crew. Admiral Ozzel's "body" is no doubt taken care of immediately by Piet - possibly to a coffee shop where they have a good laugh.

2. Another assumption, this time blatantly incorrect. The "desert dweller" leaves the family seat, takes on a new identity, and naturally enough discards the remnants of his blighted past. There are in fact no scenes indicating that Mr Vader wears his costume in the desert, nor any proof that it is vinyl, or in fact uncomforatable in any way. The Shaykhs of the nomadic desert Bedouin frequently wear black on the open desert. Perhaps they know something we Mr Garble does not?

3. Space travel - indeed you must elucidate, Mr Garble, because there is no indication that Mr Vader invented or had any significant influence on the technology or culture of space travel.

Mr Vader's "sins" so-called are enumerated but importantly, not elaborated upon by Mr Garble. This is perhaps due to the casting of events (complete with Western Judeo-Christian slant of sin/redemption ethics), their labelling and subsquent judgment. If, for example, we were to judge Mr Vader's actions through the lens of a race whose own actions were judged based on notions of, say, honor, duty, and familial bond, we might indeed applaud Mr Vader for his selfless commitment to the extermination of those who would, if given a chance, exterminate him and his kind - those who have worked so hard to defeat what HE has built. The honorable nature of Vader's sacrifice invalidates any attempt make martyrs of those who opposed him.

Therefore we can conclude that Mr Garble's characterization of these historic events is a bigotted and polarizing one, and his own declarations of magnanimousness must be seen for what they are - a childlike acceptance of proper things, mis-cast as wrongful, and "forgiven" in a sham ceremony the design of which is to elevate Mr Garble to, in his own words, "expansive virtue of tolerance". It is no such thing. Rather, it is a straw man defeated at a single stroke.

To re-cap, Mr Garble wishes us to find praise-worthy action in Mr Vader's odyssey. He offers pseudo-evidence of Vader's supposed superiority on hand, and on the other, blows completely ordinary actions out of proportion, only in order to find himself in a position to forgive them. It is this kind of philosophical trickery that I will take a stand against. In the words of Paul Feyerabend, "...I have no objection to incompetence but I do object when incompetence is accompanied by boredom and self-righteousness".
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I'm too old but, if I remember correctly, I think Darth Vader represented the "axis of evil", right?.
Best regards.
Félix

Soy muy mayor pero, si no recuerdo mal, me parece que Darth Vader representaba al "eje del mal", ¿no?.
Saludos.
Félix
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Sasquatch wrote:Having [...] self-righteousness".
And I thought I was verbose.
maxmil wrote:I'm too old but, if I remember correctly, I think Darth Vader represented the "axis of evil", right?.
Best regards.
Félix

Soy muy mayor pero, si no recuerdo mal, me parece que Darth Vader representaba al "eje del mal", ¿no?.
Saludos.
Félix
"Good" and "Evil" are antiquated terms used by unthinking barbarians. It's arrogant to judge someone's actions as either good or evil; actions simply are. It's all a matter of perspective. If someone runs into a neighborhood with a light saber, and cuts down a perfectly innocent family. It's not accurate to call that an "evil" act. Perhaps the individual in question had high moral standards he was upholding, and those standards dictated that an innocent family should be wasted?

I think you understand where I'm coming from. I mean, 19th century ideas of utilitarianism (Bentham, Mill) or the more modern theories of moral relativism (dozens of "intelligent" philosophers) are utterly unimpeachable. Who in their right mind could call those near-axioms of moral philosophy into question?

Also, red light sabers are best.
the rev

Post by the rev »

If I had a big ass pipe I would throw it at your head Ernie

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

You're absolutely right, it will communicate to Mr. Bush. :)
Best regards.
Félix

Tienes toda la razón; habrá que comunicárselo a al señor Bush. :)
Saludos.
Félix
e Markle wrote: "Good" and "Evil" are antiquated terms used by unthinking barbarians.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

the rev wrote:If I had a big ass pipe I would throw it at your head Ernie

rev
That seems appropriate.
R.H.

Post by R.H. »

My wife wonders what do you actually put in your pipes.
What should I answer?
Greetings,

Ramón

Post by maxmil »

:D
R.H. wrote:My wife wonders what do you actually put in your pipes.
What should I answer?
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Since you are trying to dedications to movie characters, I'm excited to dedicate one of my pipes to Terry Malloy, played by Marlon Brando, in the film "On the Waterfront" by Elia Kazan.

Best regards.
Félix

Ya que se está tratando de dedicatorias a personajes de películas, me apetece mucho dedicarle una de mis pipas a Terry Malloy, interpretado por Marlon Brando, en la película "On the Waterfront" de Elia Kazan.
Saludos.
Félix
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

maxmil wrote:Since you are trying to dedications to movie characters, I'm excited to dedicate one of my pipes to Terry Malloy, played by Marlon Brando, in the film "On the Waterfront" by Elia Kazan.
Now THAT would be an honorable dedication! (And great marketing, btw.) :thumbsup:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

What should I answer?

Tobacco of course but I can only speak for myself. As for Ernie, Sas, and Maxmil, it's anyone's guess.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Obviously not need marketing; you do, what I gather after reading what you write in your page. :thumbsup:
Best regards.
Félix

Es obvio que no necesito marketing; tú sí, lo que deduzco después de leer lo que escribes en tú página web. :thumbsup:
Saludos.
Félix
wdteipen wrote:
maxmil wrote:Since you are trying to dedications to movie characters, I'm excited to dedicate one of my pipes to Terry Malloy, played by Marlon Brando, in the film "On the Waterfront" by Elia Kazan.
Now THAT would be an honorable dedication! (And great marketing, btw.) :thumbsup:
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I, like Sherlock Holmes, I give morphine, have not you noticed?. :D
Best regards.
Félix

Yo, como Sherlock Holmes, le doy a la morfina, ¿no te has dado cuenta?. :D
Saludos.
Félix

wdteipen wrote:
What should I answer?

Tobacco of course but I can only speak for myself. As for Ernie, Sas, and Maxmil, it's anyone's guess.
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

e Markle wrote:I hereby dedicate all future pipes issued from esteemed House of Markle to the illustrious and emulation-worthy name of one Darth Vader.

Please don't be confused into thinking that I'm taking sides - I support the rebellion as much as any man. It just turns out that my perspective is broader than those of you who oppose Lord Vader. I appreciate his many merits, namely:
1. Telekinesis - I respect any many who can strangle another *without* actually laying hands on him.
2. A stunning wardrobe - as a desert dweller, I'm intensely jealous of those who can shroud themselves in black vinyl *and then* add a completely superfluous cape (also black).
3. Space travel - need I elucidate?

It's my expansive virtue of tolerance that allows me to overlook what some call "sins" that Vader has committed against innocents. These include:
1. Destroying an entire planet of peace loving people (viz. Alderaan - see Episode IV)
2. Cutting down his own Master (ibid)
3. Relentlessly pursuing a motley band of rebels across entire galaxies simply for the purpose of dominating them. (Episodes IV, V & VI)

If you wish to comment, please be sure to restrict your thoughts to Darth Vader et al. I would be mortified if anyone thought I was making reference to real world events or characters.
Ernie,
Dedicating a pipe to a being from another planet, with obvious respiratory problems, is just downright mean, politically incorrect, and misguided. I do appreciate your open-mindedness, however, that you would give an asthmatic space creature such credit, as to be able to smoke a pipe, even with such pulmonary challenges. Hmm...on further thought, maybe on his planet, or Dark Star, or whatever the Hades it's called, maybe, just maybe, people can smoke because they have asthma....
Wow...trippy...you've changed my mind....
I still think Vader is pure evil, though.

P.S. when you say you dedicate all "future pipes," do you mean all of Mario Grandi's pipes?

Sasquatch,
Using the words, "Feminst Epistomology" in the same sentence, and, especially, one after the other is just downright mean, politically incorrect and misguided (especially to those of us who can't spell the word, "Feminist,"--although, technically, I spelled it right there--but I was just doing that to make a point). I do appreciate your open-mindedness, however, that you would...............
Last edited by Sorringowl on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

rev
Rev,
Instead of throwing your big ass pipe at Ernie's head, I think you should smoke it instead, and then dedicate it to Gandhi, as a gesture of non-violence...
and then throw it at Ernie's head...but, in a really non-violent way...

In the words of Walter Sobchak, "I, myself, once dabbled in pacifism...not in Nam, of course."
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
the rev

Post by the rev »

Sorringowl wrote:

rev
Rev,
Instead of throwing your big ass pipe at Ernie's head, I think you should smoke it instead, and then dedicate it to Gandhi, as a gesture of non-violence...
and then throw it at Ernie's head...but, in a really non-violent way...

In the words of Walter Sobchak, "I, myself, once dabbled in pacifism...not in Nam, of course."
I of course agree completely. I explain to all who would listen that I am a theoretical pacifist. I believe with all my heart it is the way of Jesus, but doubt my ability to practice in extreme situations. I am of a very violent nature.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
CACooper

Post by CACooper »

You fellers must have gone to a big skrool. I'm still looking thru my dikshunary to find out what your big werdz mean. Wow. That's some writin'. :notworthy:

On the issue of Darth Vader, evil is as evil does.

Other than that, it's just a movie.

CACooper
andrew

Post by andrew »

e Markle wrote:

Also, red light sabers are best.
I carve my pipes with a red light saber....

I wish I could embed the sound of a light saber in this post....
sam a

Post by sam a »

CACooper wrote: it's just a movie.
now you've done gone and crossed the line.