Doing the best you can with what you've got

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
zanthal

Doing the best you can with what you've got

Post by zanthal »

Hi again, hoping I can get some advice.

I'm planning on making my next pipe crafting attempt as professional and well done as I can do it. The first attempt was done with a pre-bore kit, and a dremel tool (using a few different standard attachments). To my dismay, the briar block that was used for the kit was low grade and got a nasty burn out on the first smoke. Here it is:

---

I don't have a lot of spare money. I have, though, inherited some decent tools from my father and grandfather.

I'm looking for some off the top of your head tips for briar pipe carving, under the presumption that one couldn't add any more expensive tools to their list.

I have a dual bench grinder, with a grinding wheel attachment on one end, and a wire brush wheel on the other

I have a belt sander that was mounted to a homemade wooden mount by my late grandfather. I'm guesstimating that it runs at about 200-300 RPMs

Electric drill, and a portable drill. I have both hardened bits, and wood bits, of just about every size that would be needed

Normal log saws, hacksaws, and a hardwood saw

A large vice

As mentioned, a dremel with various attachments

Hand sanders, a rectangle shape and a V-shape for floor sanding

First concerns:

Getting a perfect (or as close to perfect as one can hope for) circular or cylindrical shape design without a lathe. I found this pretty difficult on my last attempt, it was painstaking trying to get it done exactingly on my first attempt.

When drilling the chamber, should you use a straight bit, or will a wood bit work alright with briar?

What are the big no-nos, in order to avoid cracks and other defects?

As always, thanks for your time and input :D
smokindawg

Re: Doing the best you can with what you've got

Post by smokindawg »

First, getting a concentric shape by hand can be hard to do, but with practice you'll get better at it.

Second, making pipes doesn't take a warehouse full of tools and just about any tool can be used even if it has to be slighly modified. I've upgraded my tooling as time goes along but what that does is to make each part of pipe making easier for me cutting down on the time involved.

Do lots of searching and reading here on the forums and you'll learn a lot and find most of the answers that your looking for.

And lastly, Practice, Practice, Practice. Try to learn something with each pipe you make and you'll see your work get better and each pipe will get just a bit easier to make as you learn what works and what doesn't. While advice and tips can help a lot, you pretty much have to learn from experience what works best for you. Each carver has their own techniques that work and these same things may not work as well for you due to tools being used and experience levels.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
the rev

Post by the rev »

I also wouldn't count out using a few more kits. You never know what might happen with briar, even with an expensive piece you may have a flaw, even a huge crack. But the kits allow you to just focus on shaping and that is good. I made 12 or so pipes from kits and almost every one was without a pipe destroying flaw. Take another chance.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
zanthal

Post by zanthal »

Thanks fellas. :)
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

As long as this is a hobby and not a part time job you really don't need very many tools... I have a bench mounted vise, cordless drill, a dremel, set of large files, set of jewelers files, a set of drill bits, sandpaper, a 1 inch forstner bit, a fork and a spade bit I made into a ghetto spoon bit. Oh, I also built a nail tool for rustication. It'll take longer, but your pipes will be just as good as long as you have the skill and patience.

If this is a money making venture then your time is worth something so you'd want to tool up but other than that I really don't think tools are needed.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.