DGE Latest Effort

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
dgerwin11

DGE Latest Effort

Post by dgerwin11 »

14 months ago I ordered 2 quarter bent kits. They were back ordered and I forgot about them. Well they showed up the other day. The first one is patiently waiting for me to fire up the wood stove. I chased a fissure almost into the bowl. On both they were drilled by someone's semi trained chimpanzee. The top of the airway meets the bottom of the chamber. I had to drill it down to work.

I had thought of selling this one on eBay as I did not want another long pipe. But discretion got the better of me. I did not have confidence in the briar or drilling, so I kept it for my self.

After polishing it, I see I need to go back to sanding. Please check out these pictures and let me know what steps I need to do to improve this.ImageImageImageImage
The Smoking Yeti

Re: DGE Latest Effort

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I think if you touch up your lines a bit, you'll have a winner- especially the cheeks, they need some definition. a Rat tail file might help that, as might some sand paper wrapper around a screwdriver, and various other primitive tricks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Cory

Post by Cory »

I agree with Yeti. Most of your pipes (the ones I have seen) lack definition and shape. You really have to focus on tucking in the cheeks and keeping a continuous contour from the bottom of the bowl to the end of the stem (button end).

Sometimes having a rough drawing can really help give your pipe definition - that way you have a goal and something you can compare your finished product to.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I agree with what's been said so far, but I would like to also say that this pipe is a huge improvement from the others. The bottom of the bowl looks much better and the bend in the stem looks nice. Keep it up and keep working towards defining the shape of your bowl and soon you'll be making some very nice $60 pipes. ;)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

Thanks for the input. I can't take credit for the bend. It came to me bent.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I agree with the above: you need to focus on defining the place where shank meets bowl. Buy a 5/32" chainsaw file (or something close), and you'll be well on your way.

At this point, you time with the briar more than anything else. Compare your pipes with a Dunhill (or whatever brand you like). I think it's great that you seem to be focused on classic shapes - that's the best/fastest way to learn.

To answer your question from another post, I don't think $60 is out of the question.
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

Ernie, I am conflicted. Sas makes you sound like evil incarnate, but you come across as pretty decent. And you both have given the same advice to stick to learning the classic shapes. My passion is nosewarmers, and some of my cob nosewarmer customers like the briar nosewarmers too. Now that this kit is done and I'm back to starting from scratch, it will more nosewarmers, but with bowls based on symmetrical shapes, not Danish style freehands.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

dgerwin11 wrote:Ernie, I am conflicted. Sas makes you sound like evil incarnate, but you come across as pretty decent. And you both have given the same advice to stick to learning the classic shapes. My passion is nosewarmers, and some of my cob nosewarmer customers like the briar nosewarmers too. Now that this kit is done and I'm back to starting from scratch, it will more nosewarmers, but with bowls based on symmetrical shapes, not Danish style freehands.
Don't let his apparent good nature fool you. Ernie's a downright scumball. :D
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

UberHuberMan wrote:
Don't let his apparent good nature fool you. Ernie's a downright scumball. :D
+1
dgerwin11 wrote:Ernie, I am conflicted. Sas makes you sound like evil incarnate, but you come across as pretty decent. And you both have given the same advice to stick to learning the classic shapes. My passion is nosewarmers, and some of my cob nosewarmer customers like the briar nosewarmers too. Now that this kit is done and I'm back to starting from scratch, it will more nosewarmers, but with bowls based on symmetrical shapes, not Danish style freehands.
Well, Sas *is* a raging lunatic, but he does know a thing or two about microsoft paint, er... making pipes. He also smokes some decent tobacco. ;)
dgerwin11

Post by dgerwin11 »

Are you sure? I have never heard him mention Carter Hall.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

He said "tobacco" not lawn clippings.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

As if you HAVEN'T TRIED lawn clippings, Sas. Pfff

I probably would too if I had to pay a 4200% tax on my tobacco.
the rev

Post by the rev »

You don't understand, Sas actually loves ernie,

remember when you were in 2nd grade, and you had a crush on a cute little girl? you didn't walk up to her and say, "excuse me miss, but would you like to drive across the country and kill people with me". You punched her in the arm, or threw erasers at her.

Well this is just like that, Sas has the mental and emotional capacity of a second grader. And Ernie is a sweet and cute as a second grade hotty.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Thank you for your assessment, Dr Lecter.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

the rev wrote: ...but would you like to drive across the country and kill people with me".
Yikes.
the rev wrote: And Ernie is a sweet and cute as a second grade hotty.
and...
Yikes?
the rev

Post by the rev »

8)

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
The Smoking Yeti