0113 - First Lathed Pipe and First Handcut Stem

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Cory

0113 - First Lathed Pipe and First Handcut Stem

Post by Cory »

First one of the year, and the first one I completed using a lathe. I had a problem with the shank breaking, so that is the reason for the acrylic shank extension. This is also my first handcut stem. So, a lot of new things went on in this one for me.

Stummel: briar, shank extension: tortoise acrylic, shank ring: briar, stem: cumberland.

Opinions? Suggestions? Criticisms? I would appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks,
Cory

The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
The Smoking Yeti

Re: 0113 - First Lathed Pipe and First Handcut Stem

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Well done! First handcut stem is always a bit of an adventure. I'd say the button is to chubby and the bit is to thick though. You have to trust that you won't break through the airway when you're shaping, remember the bit should be right around .14-.15" thick. Nothing bigger.

The acrylic seems like a good solution to the shank breaking conundrum though, well done!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Bryan Johnson

Post by Bryan Johnson »

Could I make a request? Could you use a light, solid background for future photos? The lines on the cloth made it difficult to see the shape of the stem as well as I wanted.

Looks danged good, though. As I edge closer to my first lathe pipe, it's getting a little nerve-wracking. Would you suggest doing sonething like a billiard for the first lathe work? Or does it matter? Any advice would be appreciated.
BATFE: It's not just a government agency, it's a shopping list!
"Will write for pipes."
Cory

Post by Cory »

Bryan Johnson wrote:Could I make a request? Could you use a light, solid background for future photos? The lines on the cloth made it difficult to see the shape of the stem as well as I wanted.

Looks danged good, though. As I edge closer to my first lathe pipe, it's getting a little nerve-wracking. Would you suggest doing sonething like a billiard for the first lathe work? Or does it matter? Any advice would be appreciated.
It doesn't really matter, I don't think. I wouldn't get crazy though. Anything symmetrical should work. A billiard or poker is a good place to start though. I would recommend using a cheaper would to turn some test pipes. Something like cherry that is smokable could work.

Sorry about the poor pictures.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis