Some more pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Cantó

Some more pipes

Post by Cantó »

Since last post I did a few new pipes and my son has born in the meantime so I'm really busy (and happy) these days.

I tried to apply the advice that UberHuberMan gave me in the last post and I'm removing more wood from the juncture of bowl and shank. Anyway, i think I need to improve this part a lot.

I also bought a metal lathe, but I'm still learning how to use it. Anyway, each one of these pipes are teaching me a lot. I'm happy because I'm not satisfied with the result yet, and it's far from the results of most of the people in this forum, but I see a little improvement in every pipe. It makes me happy.

11th pipe:

12th pipe:

13th pipe (first one using the lathe):

14th pipe:

I think that an interesting next step would be to buy sandblasting equipment. Any advice on specs? I never didn't and I don't know anything about it. Don't tell me brands... I'm in Europe and I realized that most of the brands you talk about, here are very hard to find. I would like to know how big the compressor should be, etc.

Thank you!!
My pipe maker apprentice blog:

http://www.cantopipes.com
d.huber

Re: Some more pipes

Post by d.huber »

Leaps and bounds sir! These look a ton better. Your shaping has improved dramatically, you're taking some respectable risks (note the thin walls on the first pipe), your stem work is looking good, and I envy your ability with symmetry. Not sure if you've noticed, but symmetry is not my personal strong suit. Tightening up that shank/bowl junction has made a world of difference. Great work!

The buttons on the first, third, and fourth pipes look really good. You've made a ton of progress. Keep working in this direction and you'll be making some stellar pipes soon!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Bryan Johnson

Post by Bryan Johnson »

Speaking as a consumer*, the 11th and 13th are fantastic in their symmetry and the thinness of the chamber walls. Works of art, really.

No 12... what can I say? Must... not... make... offer... Too many other bills. If I had two and a half or three benjamins, that's what I'd expect it to cost.

*I can't speak as a maker, since I'm still a junior, assistant part-time sweeper. Your work -- just 10 previous pipes under your belt! -- make me want to take a pay-cut from my volunteer work polishing the briar scraps of my betters. (/humbleness)
BATFE: It's not just a government agency, it's a shopping list!
"Will write for pipes."
the rev

Post by the rev »

those pipes are really nice to my eyes. Good job brother

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Better than mine already!

....maybe I should find a new hobby! :lol:
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Bravo. These are all lovely. Congratulations on the lathe.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Looking good!
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Beautiful work! I would be proud to have that #14 in my collection (and I don't even really like straight grains--but that one is a beauty!). :thumbsup:
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
rijks

Post by rijks »

Your first using lathe (number 13) is very nice !
Patrick Rijks
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Those are scary thin walls. They all look great and the grain placement is beautiful.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
jmoss

Post by jmoss »

Very good work...I like your pipes ..I wish my next pipes looked like yours... :)
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Canto-
Congratulations on the new son. I missed that the first time. You should be making cigars now, pipes can wait.
nboaldin

Post by nboaldin »

I really, really love your pipes! They seem so elegant and sophisticated to me. Very inspiring, sir. It may be a secret, but can you comment on your finishing techniques?
Cantó

Post by Cantó »

I missed the last comments. I have been very busy with the baby and my job these days.

Thank you everybody for the nice comments. Pipes always look far better on photos than on hand and I'm a photographer so, believe me, most of your nice words are not deserved :)

Cantó

Post by Cantó »

AlfaDog wrote:Canto-
Congratulations on the new son. I missed that the first time. You should be making cigars now, pipes can wait.
Thank you! :)

Being honest, my main occupation right now is being able to keep myself awake. :? :shock:

Cantó

Post by Cantó »

nboaldin wrote:I really, really love your pipes! They seem so elegant and sophisticated to me. Very inspiring, sir. It may be a secret, but can you comment on your finishing techniques?
Being honest, I think that the secret finishing technique is just a good photo.

I just sand stain them and then polish and apply some carnauba wax with the buffer.

You know that thing about the grass looking more green at the other side of the fence? I always think that other people's pipes look more shinny than mine :D