Scofield Cutty

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

Scofield Cutty

Post by bscofield »

Here's my latest... I need to re-take the pics tho. What do you think? :think:

sagiter

Post by sagiter »

It's a nice looking pipe for sure, to me though a Cutty should have a longer thinner shank and bowl.

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Yeah that was ultimately my lack of planning. That's my only regret with this pipe. The wall thickness is already 1/4" and the bowl 3/4". There wasn't much room to slim down after I realized that it was "oversized." This is the best I could do to fix it (i think). I still only have the one 3/4 reshaped bit of mine........ I wondered what the shank would look like smaller even tho I couldn't trim anymore off of the bowl... but i was afraid that it would whack out the balance.

Thanks for saying that tho. I was wondering if cutty's were smaller. I just don't really have anything to compare it to.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If you want a comparison of a briar cutty, I recently finished one for a client:

I've had a ton of inquiries about that shape, too. Lot of people want one.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I was this close (hold up fingers closely together) to putting a briar extension on this... Didn't want to "learn" on this one tho. That's a great looking pipe kurt.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Kurt, what was the diameter of your tobacco chamber?
marks

Post by marks »

Kurt's right about people wanting cutty's. The one I made sold within three days of me delivering it to the Pipe and Pint. Sort of makes a guy feel good when the first pipe of the first shipment to the B&M sells so quickly.

While I agree with the comments from the other guys, that still is one fine looking pipe. You are doing very well with your pipe making.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

bscofield wrote:Kurt, what was the diameter of your tobacco chamber?
3/4" on that one. I'm going to make at least one in 7/8" here real soon now.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

KurtHuhn wrote:
Do be careful how much cant you put on it. A 7/8" chamber is quite large and can generate a *lot* of heat. More than about 15 degrees and you're asking for a "hot spot" on the back of the bowl (that is the end closest to the smoker). Cuttys and Horns are dangerous that way.

Todd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

KurtHuhn wrote:
So your walls, knowing that measurement, are what? 1/4" thick? Maybe a little smaller? How tall's your bowl? I'm just asking the questions to determine how diferent our's are in size and how much is camera work. Nice pics too, btw.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ToddJohnson wrote:Do be careful how much cant you put on it. A 7/8" chamber is quite large and can generate a *lot* of heat. More than about 15 degrees and you're asking for a "hot spot" on the back of the bowl (that is the end closest to the smoker). Cuttys and Horns are dangerous that way.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. That's actually the reason why I'll be making one. I had a request for one in 7/8", but turned it down until I could determine how much the heat would affect the chamber walls.

I seem to be making a lot of "experimental" pipes these days. As a result, my pipe rack is overflowing with great smokers. Two sides to that coin - it's great that I prefer my own pipes, but I haven't had an excuse to buy anyone elses in a long time. :?
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

bscofield wrote:So your walls, knowing that measurement, are what? 1/4" thick? Maybe a little smaller? How tall's your bowl? I'm just asking the questions to determine how diferent our's are in size and how much is camera work. Nice pics too, btw.
They're about 1/4"-ish, on the small side of that. They vary in size from thinner at the top, to thicker toward the middle and bottom. I didn't really measure the walls at all, I just went with what looked right.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I just wondered what the size's were in comparison. Mine's basicaly that size. But mine has a much larger profile in it's pics...

It just sold this morning, BTW. Up on the website for about 14 hours before it sold :)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

bscofield wrote:It just sold this morning, BTW. Up on the website for about 14 hours before it sold :)
Sweet! Gotta love it when that happens.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

I just started reading the thread and ....... well......... are we still discussing pipes or are we standing around in the lockerroom???? :dunno:
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Ben,

That is a very nice pipe. I don't have enough experience to give you a worthwhile critique of your cutty design, but it's a pipe and it looks very very nice. Good job, very cool looking pipe.

Oh and congratulations on the quick sell....and the making of 'some sweet moolah'.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Brendhain wrote:I just started reading the thread and ....... well......... are we still discussing pipes or are we standing around in the lockerroom???? :dunno:
Brendhain... good one. :thumb:

I had to go back a few threads to find out what you were talking about... It's definately locker room talk and my pipe is definately bigger than Kurt's.

8O
Last edited by bscofield on Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

ROFL!

Nice looking pipe there bud! I love forward cants on pipes. They look cool, and fluid dynamiclly speaking, should produce a less turbulent smoke.