Newest pipe reworked

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Newest pipe reworked

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I put this pipe on a diet, made a longer stem, and restained A new color, hopefully for the better. I will leave the old pictures up for comparison.
I apologize agin for crappy photos
Last edited by Joe Hinkle Pipes on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gershom

Re: Newest pipe

Post by Gershom »

I would take a little more wood off of the top of the shank/bowl junction.

Also, It seems to have a few chips at the end of the shank in picture number 3.

I like the rings. What type of wood is that?

Did you fill those pits with something? If so, what is it?

Good job.
rijks

Post by rijks »

I like the shape, the stem is maybe to short for me.
So sad the wood was not perfect ... we never know before works on it !

Best regards,
Patrick Rijks
Joe Hinkle Pipes

The ring is holly. I need to sharpen my lathe tools I assume that's where the chips came from. The pits are probably full of buffing compound. I don't know why, but I normally finish a pipe and then go back and correct the mistakes. Seems like a waste of time, but I don't really notice some of the problems untill it's finished and I'm looking at the pictures. The stem is probably too short I didn't take into account the extra tenon length the rings would need along with saddle and button adjustments I lost about half an inch of stem.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Not bad. I think the shank length is fine but the stem length is too short. It would look better if you left a bit more stem material on the stem side of the holly. The shank/bowl transition looks spot on to me. Too bad about the flaws. It doesn't look like you could have salvaged anything by taking more material off.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Thanks Wayne. I filed the saddle back to make it symmetrical and ran out of material. The crater towards the top might be removable but there would still be a big pit towards the bottom. As far as the stem length is concerned would you make it the same length as the bowl plus shank? I thought about that when I made the stem. Bowl plus shank seems too long, but stem and shank the same length doesn't seem right either.
Charl

Post by Charl »

I would say the stem should have been just a tad over 1 and 1/2 of what it is currently.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: Newest pipe reworked

Again, sorry about the picture quality.