Shaping HSS Bits for Metal Lathe

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Gershom

Shaping HSS Bits for Metal Lathe

Post by Gershom »

So here are the profiles of my first three bits. Does everything look ok? Any recommendations? Are they better than Sas could do?

bottom

Let me know before I go screw up yet another piece of Briar! :)
caskwith

Re: Shaping HSS Bits for Metal Lathe

Post by caskwith »

Side and front clearance looks to be good. I would suggest a bit of top rake though for best performance and a honing to get rid of the burred edge. Also you may want to consider grinding a right hand turning tool for turning shanks and for facing rod stock.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

caskwith wrote:Side and front clearance looks to be good. I would suggest a bit of top rake though for best performance and a honing to get rid of the burred edge. Also you may want to consider grinding a right hand turning tool for turning shanks and for facing rod stock.
sigh, I know nothing about this area, absolutely nothing. I just bought a Taig and I have no fricking clue what tool to use for what.

I assure all of you, ignorance is not bliss.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

caskwith wrote:Side and front clearance looks to be good. I would suggest a bit of top rake though for best performance and a honing to get rid of the burred edge. Also you may want to consider grinding a right hand turning tool for turning shanks and for facing rod stock.

Which is the right hand turning tool? Roughing, Finishing, or Facing?

Thanks!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

wmolaw wrote:
sigh, I know nothing about this area, absolutely nothing. I just bought a Taig and I have no fricking clue what tool to use for what.

I assure all of you, ignorance is not bliss.

Get yourself a copy of how to run a lathe by south bend, it's free online and you will learn a huge amount.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Gershom wrote:

Which is the right hand turning tool? Roughing, Finishing, or Facing?

Thanks!
Roughing, but I would make it something in between the roughing and facing for versatility, of course none of these shapes are definitive and you can adapt them to suit your own needs, I for one rarely use "standard" shapes.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I use modified versions of these as well. Some are pretty close, but its pipe making so... direct translation to wood....
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

A friend of mine who bought me a grinder for Christmas sent me this and it's been immensely helpful.

How to Grind Lathe Tool Cutter Bits

Nothing beats sharp tools.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard