FNG - Foreign New Guy

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
birba

FNG - Foreign New Guy

Post by birba »

Hi everyone!
I'm glad to have found this forum, I am sure you guys will have lots of useful tips for me.
My dad and I both have been smoking pipes for a long time and I recently had the idea of making a pipe for him while he makes one for me. We will start with already pre-drilled pipe kits as we both have no experience.
I moved to the States three years ago, my father lives in Germany.
Once we get started I will post some pictures and hope you will be able to give me some feedback.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Re: FNG - Foreign New Guy

Post by jogilli »

Welcome to the Forum.. Birba .. I'm still over here... just the opposite situation from you though as I'm foreign over here :-)

James
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Welcome Birba. Keep us posted on your progress.
birba

Post by birba »

jogilli wrote:Welcome to the Forum.. Birba .. I'm still over here... just the opposite situation from you though as I'm foreign over here :-)

James
That's funny! I can tell that you are in Germany by the blinds on your window in your (awesome) shop.

I ran into my first problem today: Since the U.S. pipe market is pretty much all filterless, I can't find a pipe kit that is drilled to fit a 9mm filter.
Assuming that I can find a decent 9mm mouthpiece (shopping suggestions welcome), would it be possible to simply widen/drill the mortise that was initially designed for unfiltered tenons?

I was looking into something like this.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

ha... yep.. the blinds give it away :-) it would be hard.... as most of the preformed mouthpieces will barely support a 9mm filter... I'd shot for 6 .. the dunhill filter.. and you can fix that by just carefully using a 6mm bit to widen the mouthpiece half way.. and the block the other half.

I've told any over here that you can also use rolling paper (cigarette rolling paper) and wad it up in a ball.. put it in the base of the tobacco chamber and it does the some thing... basically...

as for preformed mouthpieces.. I'm not sure.. italy perhaps..or Janzen pfeifen.. alternatively as long as you do not use the military mount you can buy janzen's 9mm tenon and place the preformed mouthpieces tenon w/the one from him.. I've used his stuff before.. you can also make your own from Delrin, but if you do not have a lathe it it very problematic.. doable, but serverly problematic

james
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Willkommen, birba!

As far as 9mm filter stems, you used to be able to purchase the tenons from Pipe Maker's Emporium.
I don't think they have them anymore. Perhaps one of the European dealers. You'll then need to insert the tenon into whatever rod stock you plan on using for stems or find a way to insert them into premolds.
birba

Post by birba »

okay thanks

I do not have a lathe, sadly.
So, let's say I managed to build a mouthpiece with 9mm tenon, what about the briar block?
just drill the mortise to the appropriate size? I guess I could practice on a regular wood block to find the correct drill bit size