Best sharpening method

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Ocelot55

Best sharpening method

Post by Ocelot55 »

So I really need to figure out the best way to sharpen my wood turning tools. I've been looking at the Oneway Wolverine system. It seems like I use my spindle gouge the most while turning stummels and the vari-grind accessory on the Wolverine makes it look easy.

What do you guys use?
wmolaw

Re: Best sharpening method

Post by wmolaw »

Ocelot55 wrote:So I really need to figure out the best way to sharpen my wood turning tools. I've been looking at the Oneway Wolverine system. It seems like I use my spindle gouge the most while turning stummels and the vari-grind accessory on the Wolverine makes it look easy.

What do you guys use?
Thanks for asking this question. I too need some assistance in this area, badly!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Great question, Jessie!

Info on honing would be a welcome addition to any answer. :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

ok.. i'll be the first to bite..... is it approved.. no... do most do it.. probably not... but after shaping.. etc on my tools I use my slack belt sander 320 grit to keep my tools sharp... every once in a while i'll even use red rouge on a leather wheel... but not every day.. been about 6 weeks since I did it last time...

I'm not doing 10 pipes a month.. but do sharpen my wood turning tools with sandpaper..

and it works for me... easy and quick

james
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Can't really speak for wood turning tools but for metal lathe tools I use a white alox wheel on a bench grinder to shape and then hone using a tormek with a 1000 grit japanese water stone.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

jogilli wrote:ok.. i'll be the first to bite..... is it approved.. no... do most do it.. probably not... but after shaping.. etc on my tools I use my slack belt sander 320 grit to keep my tools sharp... every once in a while i'll even use red rouge on a leather wheel... but not every day.. been about 6 weeks since I did it last time...

I'm not doing 10 pipes a month.. but do sharpen my wood turning tools with sandpaper..

and it works for me... easy and quick

james
I saw this not to long ago and was wondering if it would work. What do you think?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCMPLUS.html
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

I wouldn't buy it.. in that case you'd be better off getting a leather wheel and red rouge for final polish and using wet stones... did that for along time also.. still do in between my sandpaper method....

james
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

jogilli wrote:I wouldn't buy it.. in that case you'd be better off getting a leather wheel and red rouge for final polish and using wet stones... did that for along time also.. still do in between my sandpaper method....

james
How about this?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200199 ... g-jig.aspx

I have a 1725 rpm Grinder
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

yep.. bought it... great purchase... rough shaping.. fine shaping... and then belt sander... that's how I do it
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Gent's , There are thousands of ways to sharpen, One says there better than the other. I will be the first to say that I've seen alot of things that really work well and work a big hole in your wallet. Remember people have been makeing wooden pipes for better than a century and turners still had to have razor sharp tools. Lets take a low tech approach. I use a grinding wheel and a spindle jig ( This just holds the tool a the right angle and can be made for less than 5$) It takes about 3 seconds to put a razor edge on you gouges This works well for me and costs relatively nothing Hope this helps
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I run a sharpening belt on my 1x30 sander. Got it at Lee Valley. Works instantly, cost 5 bucks. No jig involved (for better or worse, depending on your skill I guess)
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Sasquatch wrote:I run a sharpening belt on my 1x30 sander. Got it at Lee Valley. Works instantly, cost 5 bucks. No jig involved (for better or worse, depending on your skill I guess)
And I suppose you're going to tell us that you're all skilled and stuff. :P
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I never claimed to get good results. :lol:
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

caskwith wrote:Can't really speak for wood turning tools but for metal lathe tools I use a white alox wheel on a bench grinder to shape and then hone using a tormek with a 1000 grit japanese water stone.
Do you have to do any additional sanding on your materials when you've cut them with freshly ground and hone lathe tools?

-Tyler Beard
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

UberHuberMan wrote:
caskwith wrote:Can't really speak for wood turning tools but for metal lathe tools I use a white alox wheel on a bench grinder to shape and then hone using a tormek with a 1000 grit japanese water stone.
Do you have to do any additional sanding on your materials when you've cut them with freshly ground and hone lathe tools?
Yes, but then that's because after drilling/turning there is always shaping to be done at the sanding disc anyway. I can't really think of anything that comes off the lathe and is ready to go.
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Just as an input it also depends on whether you are scrubbing or cutting with your lathe tool. When cutting properly the surface gets really good but like Chris said I don't know if the pipe gets ready on the lathe.

I use a Tormek for all my wood lathe tools, with proper jigs. Very easy to use but yeah, expensive....
http://www.tormek.com/en/jigs/svd180/index.php
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm going to post a some demo pictures with my next pipe - you can CERTAINLY get a pipe finish-ready on the lathe, or parts of it anyhow, but you have to use the right tool in the right way. I'll get some pix and just show how you can get a smooth cut on a pipe bowl and walk away from it.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

caskwith wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:
Yes, but then that's because after drilling/turning there is always shaping to be done at the sanding disc anyway. I can't really think of anything that comes off the lathe and is ready to go.
Wait, you mean you don't shape, file, and sand on the lathe all with your cutting bits? I knew I was doing something wrong! :wink:

I was getting at the finish after cutting say... a flare. Is it shiny after cutting? I'm trying to get my tools sharp just as Jessie is and am finding myself with growing pains.

I've got a nice gouge in my thumb by mistakenly thinking that using my sanding disk to hone would be a good idea. The tools were sharper after coming off the fine grinding disk than after the sanding disk. I can only conclude that the sanding disk is ruining the edge because the backing pad has some give to it.

-Tyler Beard
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Went ahead and ordered the Wolverine jig and vari cut add on. Hoping I can learn how to sharpen with some expertise.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Let us know how that works out. I just might order it myself.