Best sharpening method

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
wmolaw

Re: Best sharpening method

Post by wmolaw »

Ocelot55 wrote:Let us know how that works out. I just might order it myself.
Will do. I'm hoping it will allow me to get consistency in my sharpening. Really tough to turn anything with a blunt piece of HSS!
DMI

Post by DMI »

Here how I do it, I leave the chisels sitting out at night with a glass of Whiskey and a slice of cake and in the morning they are razor sharp thanks to the leprechauns. Although the little buggers have been known to nick the odd tool now and again.

David.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Sasquatch wrote:I'm going to post a some demo pictures with my next pipe - you can CERTAINLY get a pipe finish-ready on the lathe, or parts of it anyhow, but you have to use the right tool in the right way. I'll get some pix and just show how you can get a smooth cut on a pipe bowl and walk away from it.
Will this be before, or after you operate power tools under the influence of alcohol?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

DMI wrote:Here how I do it, I leave the chisels sitting out at night with a glass of Whiskey and a slice of cake and in the morning they are razor sharp thanks to the leprechauns. Although the little buggers have been known to nick the odd tool now and again.

David.
Hmmm, that's how I make pipes! Different set of leprechauns, methinks.
maddis

Post by maddis »

I have the Wolverine jigs for grinding my wood turning tools. No complaints. Simple, easy to adjust, reliable.
taharris

Post by taharris »

maddis wrote:I have the Wolverine jigs for grinding my wood turning tools. No complaints. Simple, easy to adjust, reliable.
Agreed! I am very happy with mine. I highly recommend Wolverine jigs.

Todd
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

taharris wrote:
maddis wrote:I have the Wolverine jigs for grinding my wood turning tools. No complaints. Simple, easy to adjust, reliable.
Agreed! I am very happy with mine. I highly recommend Wolverine jigs.

Todd
Got mine as well, set them up, and they seem to work great as well! Takes a lot of the guess work out of sharpening, and it's a pleasure to have sharp tools once again! Note, be sure to by a wheel dresser as well, that really helps, at least it did for me.