steel?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
longford

steel?

Post by longford »

Has anyone crafted a pipe made of all metal? I am currently making one. I was curious if anyone thinks its a good idea or bad. I'm a journeyman toolmaker and have worked with all kinds of steel for the past 15 years. I guess u could say its my preferred median. After seeing the beauty and skill required to produce a quality pipe I became very interested in learning how to produce one and decided this is the place to learn how!
A poor craftsmen blames his tools
Sasquatch

Re: steel?

Post by Sasquatch »

I won't dissuade you, but most of the traditional materials used are done so not out of some ritualistic or hyper-traditional notion, but because they work. Rubber stems feel a lot nicer in the teeth than plastic ones, and I'm guessing that a metal stem is going to be the same. I have no idea if a metal bowl would work at all or if it would just get hot and be unpleasant.... but, only one way to find out.

Welcome to the board!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I think it's a bad idea.

Hope this helps.

Rad
andrew

Post by andrew »

Just prepare this phrase in advance:

"I swear officer, it's just tobacco!"
longford

Post by longford »

andrew wrote:Just prepare this phrase in advance:
True I never thought about that! I found a local wood crafters supply store yesterday and I'm planning on making a trip down ther this weekend.I'm sure I can find plenty of supplies there to get started. Thanks for the advice.
Jos

Post by Jos »

Pipes made of metal have a great tradition in Japan - click: Kiseru - guess if it didn't work they'd have discontinued this centuries ago ...

Jens
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

longford wrote:
andrew wrote:Just prepare this phrase in advance:
True I never thought about that! I found a local wood crafters supply store yesterday and I'm planning on making a trip down ther this weekend.I'm sure I can find plenty of supplies there to get started. Thanks for the advice.
If you try metal, I recommend turning a briar bowl insert. That way you're actually smoking in a briar bowl, and the bowl is housed inside metal.

If you choose to go all briar, than this site has what you need http://pipemakers.org/

Or you could start with a pre-drilled pipe kit, pimo has a nice cheap selection here: http://www.pimopipecraft.com/prebored.html

Either way, welcome aboard!

Cheers!

Yeti

P.S. Rad is just a grumpy guy, but don't worry, he never can stay grumpy at you- mostly because he has dementia and forgets about it.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
longford

Post by longford »

Thanks. I will check out that site. Don't think I want the kit. If I'm going to make one ( sink or swim) I want to do it all.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Jos wrote:Pipes made of metal have a great tradition in Japan - click: Kiseru - guess if it didn't work they'd have discontinued this centuries ago ...

Jens
Also consider the Falcon and Kirsten pipes. Combined with what Yeti mentioned... Metal pipes with briar bowls.
longford

Post by longford »

I should have my steel pipe finished up tonight.if I figure out how to post a picture of it I will put it up.definitely going with a more traditional style on the next one.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

I thought I saw a metal pipe at ( it's all good smoke shop) or was it in the convienence store next to the crack pipes? :lol:
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
longford

Post by longford »

pipeguy wrote:I thought I saw a metal pipe at ( it's all good smoke shop) or was it in the convienence store next to the crack pipes? :lol:
I don't know about the rest of you guys but that sounds like a challenge to me! Surely a master craftsman like yourself can duplicate anything a beginner like me can make with metal in wood right? :fencing:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Won't steel rust when exposed to all that moisture during smoking?

Rad
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

RadDavis wrote:Won't steel rust when exposed to all that moisture during smoking?

Rad

thats the "cake"
longford

Post by longford »

I have been smoking it while I have been putting the finishing touches on it and i have not seen any rust. Thats definitely a good point thou!
longford

Post by longford »

Il est ici!!

WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Christ sake! Somebody send this guy a block of briar!
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

WCannoy wrote:Christ sake! Somebody send this guy a block of briar!
Allow me to elaborate:

Your steel pipe shows vision and creativity.

I wouldn't even think of smoking it, 'cause it's made of steel. The number of different materials that have been tried for making fine tobacco pipes, and the number of people who have tried those materials is far to many to count. There are reasons that briar is by far the most commonly used material for tobacco pipes. Those reasons have been stated, studied, debated... still the briar prevails...

I, for one, would like to see what you can do with briar. It has some challenges and limitations over steel. You can't heat it up and bend it, and you can't weld the shank to the bowl...
longford

Post by longford »

Thankyou for the complement. I am very inexperienced with wood but I am looking forward to the challenge!!
Charl

Post by Charl »

Cool! Waiting in anticipation for a briar!