Shim Shim Shim

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Gershom

Shim Shim Shim

Post by Gershom »

So, my tailstock doesn't line up exactly with my headstock. HELP!!!

Can I shim the tailstock myself? Or should I get a machine shop to do it for me??? Cost???

Thanks!
pipeguy

Re: Shim Shim Shim

Post by pipeguy »

up or down? left or right ? You can get shims but it helps to know your difference to get the right one
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

The tailstock lines up a bit to the left of center, and I have not checked the vertical axis.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Make sure it's the tailstock. What kind of lathe is it? I have an older Jet that I have to readjust frequently, but its the headstock not the tailstock (i.e. I have to readjust the tailstock often to meet up with the axis of the chuck). You can check easily by trying different lengths of drill bits in the tailstock - if they all point to the same spot then it's not the tailstock. Then switch and try different lengths of rod stock in the chuck. My guess is that there will be a difference between 1" of material outside of the chuck and 10". This is a rather superficial explanation, so let me know if I'm not being clear.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Jet BD920N.

Your explanation makes perfect sense, I just haven't thought to check the headstock. I will do that when I get out there again. Thanks for the pointers.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Have you checked to make sure your chuck isn't off? A very thorough cleaning should be done before you start taking things apart. A small metal shaving can cause much grief.

Also, is it off consistently, or does the deflection change as you rotate the chuck? Just please check a few things before you start mucking with your headstock.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

The tail stock is adjustable on the jet. It can be adjusted so that you can cut tapers. At least that's what I've been told. I was also told its not advisable to change it as getting it reset properly can be a real pain afterwards.

I just did the cam lock upgrade on my lathe so should probably check my alignment before I start drilling pipes again.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

My tailstock might be set to a degree or two of taper. I need to check the adjustment screws and make sure it is in line. After that, I'll look into the headstock. It was off on multiple chucks, but I will clean both. Thanks for the insight. I will let you know once I figure it out.