Ethnographic Survey!!!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
The Drinking Yeti

Re: Ethnographic Survey!!!

Post by The Drinking Yeti »

This could get out of hand REALLY fast... I'd love to help but I am a full
time student who tries to avoid writing in my free time. :fencing:
Rev says, "holy shit that is bitchen"
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Uber, don't worry, totally anonymous. Unless you pull an "anonymous" and put your response on this thread instead of PMing me.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Gershom wrote:Uber, don't worry, totally anonymous. Unless you pull an "anonymous" and put your response on this thread instead of PMing me.
Oh no worries. As I was first reading the OP, I was thinking of posting straight to the thread, but thought better of it. Most of these questions delve into territory that "isn't spoken of in polite company" kinda stuff. Feathers can get ruffled fast. Props to Ryan for putting his thoughts out there. :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Alden

Post by Alden »

UberHuberMan wrote:
Gershom wrote:Uber, don't worry, totally anonymous. Unless you pull an "anonymous" and put your response on this thread instead of PMing me.
Oh no worries. As I was first reading the OP, I was thinking of posting straight to the thread, but thought better of it. Most of these questions delve into territory that "isn't spoken of in polite company" kinda stuff. Feathers can get ruffled fast. Props to Ryan for putting his thoughts out there. :)

I dont care who knows what I think :D But I started thinking about it, and the questions are so open I was afraid I might sway someone elses method of answering. So's I deleted them.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Guys, all these responses have been very interesting (especially Alden's) :P

I am still checking to see if any more guys pm me, so don't feel shy. Bring what you think and let me know about it. It's not like you'll ever meet me anyway. :D

I have really enjoyed getting to know all the participants better, and I really like the deep answers, the dealing with issues in each of our worldviews, and the collage that is being put together.

So if you have not added your thoughts, and want to be part of the collage of smokers' worldviews, then get onboard.

If you have already done it and want to add more or clarify, please feel free. Also, I might be replying more once I sit down with all these responses and analyze them.

Jonathan
Alden

Post by Alden »

I'm curious if we'll see the results of your survey ?
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Well, we already saw yours Alden. :doh: :P

But yes, I will be doing some sort of conglomeration that has answers in anonymous form, except for Alden's, and possibly a report on the findings.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Gershom wrote: we already saw yours Alden. :doh: :P
Thats what she said.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Alden wrote:
Gershom wrote: we already saw yours Alden. :doh: :P
Thats what she said.

Nice.
Bryan Johnson

Post by Bryan Johnson »

What was that line in the Woody Allen movie? Something about how he cheated during a test in a philosophy course by looking into the soul of the guy sitting next to him.

Did your prof. come up with these questions for any type of behavior, and you're just supposed to plug in "smoking" for the behavior? Would another student plug in another behavior, such as "cheating on your taxes" or "having sex with goats"? If so, I would be very interested to see how those other students decide to do *their* research... "'Scuse me, sir, but could I ask you a series of ques.... WHOAH! What the *heck* are you *doing* to that chocolate cream pie?"

This probably explains why I left anthropology and became a Marine.
BATFE: It's not just a government agency, it's a shopping list!
"Will write for pipes."
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Bryan Johnson wrote:What was that line in the Woody Allen movie? Something about how he cheated during a test in a philosophy course by looking into the soul of the guy sitting next to him.

Did your prof. come up with these questions for any type of behavior, and you're just supposed to plug in "smoking" for the behavior? Would another student plug in another behavior, such as "cheating on your taxes" or "having sex with goats"? If so, I would be very interested to see how those other students decide to do *their* research... "'Scuse me, sir, but could I ask you a series of ques.... WHOAH! What the *heck* are you *doing* to that chocolate cream pie?"

This probably explains why I left anthropology and became a Marine.
No. My prof gave us guidelines for the first seven, because these are some of the essential questions asked by many about life. These are the ones they have to figure out. This ethnography is a study of smokers and their worldviews, so I added the last three questions for our own flavor.
However, B. Johnson, if you have the urge to tell me about your personal practices (with or without animals or inanimate objects) that you participate in during your free time to inspire the shapes of your pipes, then... I guess... I'm all ears... :shock:

So your a shepherd, huh? :jawdrop:

Thanks for your service for our country.

Jon
Bryan Johnson

Post by Bryan Johnson »

Hey, Jon,

Well, the standing orders at the time (this was over 30 years ago) were, "Don't ask, and please, for the love of God, don't tell..."

Naw, my only concern is that by surveying this group you're skewing (*note* the spelling, please!) the data, since members of this forum are self-selecting. The data will be much different than you'd find to visitors to a pipe shop and *those* results would be different than you'd find if you surveyed on the list of customers at, say, smokingpipes.com (they reach people who, like me, live in a rural area and rarely get to visit a pipe store in person). If you really want to blow your prof's mind, do surveys in all three populations and compare the data.

And, if you don't mind my saying, your questions are too open-ended, so your data will be nearly impossible to quantify. A 1 to 10 scale works better for stuff like this ("How much do you give a damn about how people think about your smoking? 10=I'm shamed every time I light up, 1=I smoke in elevators")

As for my service, all I did was show up. Same as lots and lots of others.

Good luck with the survey -- it should be fun. Put your paper up on line when it's fininished and provide a link so we can all see it.

Bryan
BATFE: It's not just a government agency, it's a shopping list!
"Will write for pipes."
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I smoked in an elevator this weekend. St. Charles, MO is freakin' awesome!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Bryan Johnson wrote: Naw, my only concern is that by surveying this group you're skewing (*note* the spelling, please!) the data, since members of this forum are self-selecting. The data will be much different than you'd find to visitors to a pipe shop and *those* results would be different than you'd find if you surveyed on the list of customers at, say, smokingpipes.com (they reach people who, like me, live in a rural area and rarely get to visit a pipe store in person). If you really want to blow your prof's mind, do surveys in all three populations and compare the data.
That's a great idea. I didn't even think about smokingpipes.com, but I did think about the pipe shop approach. The only issue is that the paper can only be 45 pages, so too much info would make it a bit overloaded. I'll see what I can do to better represent smokers as a whole.

You should answer the questions anyway! You know, for my sake... :thumbsup:

Just don't post any pictures of you and your... pets... :lol:
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

If your professor does'n't smpke a pipe He would not have a clue. Probably wants to extend his liberal agenda.
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Yeah dude, it's been a while... so like, did I win or what?
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I had over a dozen responses, and I am still working on the paper. Analyzing, clarifying, exercising, and a bunch of other words that sound like that. The paper is a final for the class, so it will be around late April that I finish... Sorry for the wait, something about doing it the best I can...

Jon
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Guys, this paper is coming together! Hope you like long reads, it's gonna be at least 50 pages. I'll make one without the screen names on it to preserve anonymity. That is, unless you want everyone to know what your worldview is... Alden.

I'll post the whole thing somehow to the forum.

Until then, be waiting in angst.

And SchmitN, you didn't win.

Jon
Alden

Post by Alden »

Gershom wrote:
And SchmitN, you didn't win.
Of course not, obviously I won.
You guys don't like the way I think ? Well if you outlaw world views, only outlaws will have worldviews.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

And what kind of a world would that be!? How would we protect ourselves? :takethat: