Cutting curves with a metal lathe.

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Gershom

Cutting curves with a metal lathe.

Post by Gershom »

HOW?

I've been using my bits as a rest for my wood lathe tools... Seems like there would be a better way...

Jon
DMI

Re: Cutting curves with a metal lathe.

Post by DMI »

I used to do this but it means the angle of the blade is pretty screwed up, I ended up using two old tools and welded one under the other to make a rest at the correct height.

I now have a proper tool rest from a wood lathe that clamps through the bed.

Take a look on ebay.

David.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I do it etch a sketch style using the handwheels but this technique isn't for everyone. I do the same to cut tapers on shanks and stems, with practice you can cut semi circular shapes and small tapers without too much difficulty, yesterday for instance I cut a 1.5 in 100 taper on a stem.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I made one. I used two pieces of angle iron and then made two shafts drilling a hole in one so that the other slides inside it. I drilled and installed a set screw so height could be set. I the. Welded one piece of angle iron flat on one end drilled to bolt to the cross slide on my jet. On the other end I welded a piece of angle iron set like a roof and this is my rest.

It sounds more complicated than it is.

Now I just remove the tool holder/small cross slide and bolt the rest on. Makes it nice being able too adjust the tool rest using the bed and cross slide.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

This is the one advantage a wood lathe has over a metal lathe. Many pipemakers use a wood lathe style tool rest adapted to their metal lathe and use wood turning tools to cut the curves. You can cut certain curves like the radius of stem beads on a metal lathe using custom ground cutting tools using blanks.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

wdteipen wrote:This is the one advantage a wood lathe has over a metal lathe. Many pipemakers use a wood lathe style tool rest adapted to their metal lathe and use wood turning tools to cut the curves. You can cut certain curves like the radius of stem beads on a metal lathe using custom ground cutting tools using blanks.
I'm not sure it's an "advantage," necessarily, but it's certainly more of an "on label" use of the tool. My advice would be to learn how to cut curves using both wheels at the same time. Using specifically profiled tools to make plunge cuts is just going to burn the material and leave you with a lot of sanding. You do, of course, need specifically profiled tools for different purposes, you just can't use them solely on one axis. If you get a QCTP, which I would recommend, you can easily find a (wood) tool rest to fit it. You can use the boring bar as well. Good luck.

TJ
Massis

Post by Massis »

ToddJohnson wrote:
I'm not sure it's an "advantage," necessarily, but it's certainly more of an "on label" use of the tool. My advice would be to learn how to cut curves using both wheels at the same time. Using specifically profiled tools to make plunge cuts is just going to burn the material and leave you with a lot of sanding. You do, of course, need specifically profiled tools for different purposes, you just can't use them solely on one axis. If you get a QCTP, which I would recommend, you can easily find a (wood) tool rest to fit it. You can use the boring bar as well. Good luck.

TJ
any hints on where to find such a tool rest for a QTCP?
I have a myford super 7 with QTCP (best piece of tool it has! by far.), but I'm still looking for a decent tool post solution for wood turning.

I know a full size wood tool rest exist that clamps to the bed, but I'm quite sure it would get in my way too much...
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Just get a nice long bit of 1/2 steel and put it in a spare tool holder.
Growley

Post by Growley »

caskwith wrote:Just get a nice long bit of 1/2 steel and put it in a spare tool holder.
Same here. I think it's called key stock maybe??? You a find it at ACE or Lowes / Home depot near the threaded rods. Works well for me. It's under $10 too!