A good buffer motor?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
DanH

A good buffer motor?

Post by DanH »

Hi All,

I've finally decided to kick my crummy, el cheapo buffer to the curb.

Just ordered the Beall buffing wheel setup, which I'm pretty excited about. Now all I have to do is find a motor. Anyone got any recommendations?

I know a lot of people like Baldor, but having been searching for the past two days, I've come to realize there are quite a few things about motors that I just don't understand.

Here's what I know I need:
Spindle: 1/2 or 5/8
RPM: 1750 - 1800

Here's what I think I may know (please correct me if I'm wrong):
Phase: Single
Volts: 115
AC/DC: AC
HP: 1/3 - 1/2

Would something like this be sufficient? http://www.ebay.com/itm/300656397874?ss ... 1423.l2649

Also, the Beall site says the motor should turn counterclockwise as you're facing it. Is this something that depends on how you wire it, or do you have to buy a motor that turns that way?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
archaggelosmichail

Re: A good buffer motor?

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Nice choise on buffing wheels, and the motor will be ok, too.

Counterclockwise as you facing it means a right-turning motor, which are the most common in the market.
If you want to control left or right turning on the motor you'll have to buy an3-phase asychronus one.

Michail
Alden

Post by Alden »

Counterclockwise should just be a matter of wiring it differently.
That one posted looks fine to me. It is TEFC, make sure that is part of your search.
DanH

Post by DanH »

Thanks, fellas!

Since it seemed like the one from eBay would work fine, and I'm raring to go, I just went ahead and ordered that one.
Alden

Post by Alden »

You can find them cheaper, but I looked through the listings right now and didnt see anything much better than the one you bought. I've found them as cheap as $50 or so but you could have paid more too so dont feel bad. You will get your money out of it.