My first pipe from a Plateau cut

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
AlfaDog

My first pipe from a Plateau cut

Post by AlfaDog »

This is my first pipe using a plateau block gifted to me by a friend I gave a pipe to. Being my first plateau, I made the bowl oblong to leave as much top as possible. It's as wide as the block would allow. Copper and maple rings. Critiques requested. Name calling welcome.
Again, what's the difference between a ring and a band? Ring sandwiched, and band outside?

Last edited by AlfaDog on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WCannoy

Re: My first pipe from a Plateau cut

Post by WCannoy »

Only the first and second photo is showing up... but the second photo has me very excited to see the rest!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I want to see the other angles!! :D

I think there are some sanding marks on the back of the bowl judging by the second shot.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

I reuploaded all the pictures. I was able to see all of them before. Can you see them all now? Thanks for looking.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

I can see them all now.

This pipe looks fantastic! A couple of things I would like to see stylisticlly, a wider taper to the end of the shank and a wider stem at the button would add more balance against the large bowl. Something like this:

Also, the fit and finish look good, really good even, but not great. Work on getting the transation from the shank, through the bands, to the stem nice and smooth, and with no gaps. Maybe a sharper edge where it transitions down to the thinnes part of the stem, instead of that rounded off edge.

That said though, overall a really nice pipe! Kudos!
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Thank you for the help Walt. I still haven't developed that "pipe eye". I was going by these pictures (and missed) and kept the look of the end of the shank, but I did add the bands for "bling" and to make it my own. I'm also practicing my bands alot and sticking them on near everything. I do like the wider stem at button that you posted. I hadn't noticed until you said something but I can see just the tiniest sliver of daylight between the stem and the shank. You have a good eye. I also wish I had made the sliver at the rear of the saddle match the one at the front in thickness. What is the difference between a ring and a band?

http://www.alpascia.com/detail.asp?x=&detail=20876.0
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

AlfaDog wrote:Thank you for the help Walt. I still haven't developed that "pipe eye". I was going by these pictures and kept the look of the end of the shank, but I did add the bands for "bling" and to make it my own. I'm also practicing my bands alot and sticking them on near everything. I hadn't noticed until you said something but I can see just the tiniest sliver of daylight between the stem and the shank. You have a good eye. I also wish I had made the sliver at the rear of the saddle match the one at the front in thickness. What is the difference between a ring and a band?

http://www.alpascia.com/detail.asp?x=&detail=20876.0
I like the bands. I think they go great with your pipe!

You can see on the Jorgensen, especially the top line of the shank, that the line follows through all the way, doesn't curve back down right before the end...

Just something to watch out for, and work on in the future. It will make pipes of this style look a thousand times more fantastic!

What is the difference between a band and a ring? I dunno... semantics? When you find out, let me know! :lol:
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Walt, you're definately right about that rounded over part. I think a combination of a smaller diameter round file and using a backing block when I sand the end of that saddle would improve that look in the future. Thank you.

What program are you using to illustrate that? I've been looking for a simple 2D CAD program to draw furniture plans. Can you also design pipes on them or would that be more easily done by hand?
Wallace
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

AlfaDog wrote: What program are you using to illustrate that? I've been looking for a simple 2D CAD program to draw furniture plans. Can you also design pipes on them or would that be more easily done by hand?
Wallace
I whipped that up in photoshop. I've only ever designed pipes on the side of a briar block with a sharpie! :D
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

nice photoshop job sas...now what did you do with walt!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

We DeMaNd OnE HundRed dolLars
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

i know its a rip off but can i give you an MM pipe i have laying around
JK...
the rev

Post by the rev »

dude... that pipe f'n rocks

yeah buddy

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Sasquatch wrote:We DeMaNd OnE HundRed dolLars
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Good news Walt. I took just a C hair off the end of the tenon and the stem pulls right up the shank now with no gap. Thank you for seeing and pointing that out. I might get a wild hair now and fix that rounded over saddle. :)
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

AlfaDog wrote:Good news Walt. I took just a C hair off the end of the tenon and the stem pulls right up the shank now with no gap. Thank you for seeing and pointing that out. I might get a wild hair now and fix that rounded over saddle. :)
Glad you were able to clear that up!

I don't know that I would mess with the saddle at this point. You risk working your way too close to the bands, and/or thinning out the end of your shank too much. I just don't think there's enough material left on this one. Just keep it in mind for the next one!
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Good point. Time to make a new pipe. I got my briar order in from Vermont Freehand today. I got Sas sized blocks and plateau. Pretty stuff.
Somebody pick me out a classic style pipe to copy!
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

ive never posted a picture before so i hope this works
hope rad doesnt mind but it to me is perfectly balanced, while being nice and plain jane.
evan
the rev

Post by the rev »

Rad made if very clear that if anyone tries to copy one of his pipes he will kill them until they are dead, so you might want to do something else. I think you should do this

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

hey rev is that one of your pipes... looks a little to chunky and very awkward... :lol:
and rad cant kill me once he knows of my bargaining chip.
RAD, check your shop.... MUAHAHA :twisted: :twisted: