Life span on Bulk Tobacco?

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
flea1

Life span on Bulk Tobacco?

Post by flea1 »

I am new to the whole pipe world...How long does buld Tobacco last before it goes bad? :dunno:
flea1

Post by flea1 »

sorry I meant bulk tobacco...
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

I think the shelf-life of tobacco purchased from a jar at your local tobacconist is approximately 750 years give or take a decade. If there is a nuclear holocaust it may take a day or two to come back up to its previous moisture content. It actually doesn't go bad . . . it starts out that way. :)

Todd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ToddJohnson wrote:I think the shelf-life of tobacco purchased from a jar at your local tobacconist is approximately 750 years give or take a decade. If there is a nuclear holocaust it may take a day or two to come back up to its previous moisture content. It actually doesn't go bad . . . it starts out that way. :)

Todd
:naughty: :P

Bulk tobacco is NOT that bad. Especialy for beginners who are buying trying out lots of stuff. I still buy one tobacco in bulk, Peterson's Black Kathy.

How long will bulk stuff keep? From what I gather it all depends on how well you can manage the moisture content. FYI, if I were you I wouldn't buy loads of bulk right off the bat as your tastes may mature to wanting something that just isn't available in bulk. What got me off the bulk was trying my first tin tobacco (a MacBaren)... The black Kathy seems SO tasteless anymore. I keep it around for guests who only smoke around me ;)
JMB

Post by JMB »

ToddJohnson wrote:
" It actually doesn't go bad . . . it starts out that way. Smile"

LOL, but then you have some tin tobacco that will only go with "rot gut Booze"

Everyone too there on taste "as the man said when kissed a cow" lol
flea1

Post by flea1 »

Well...that is the thing I really don't want to buy a lot of bulk tobacco cause I would like to try different blends and brands. I have been reading a lot of reviews and would like to try some of McClelland's blend, Dunhill, and Schurch. I would like to have at least one really good bulk tobacco that I could enjoy anytime....and then have a couple different tins that would be for morning, night, hunting, fishing, or taking a #2.

I had no idea that tobacco stayed good for a long time. I know with cigarettes if they sit around to long, they taste like shit.

Well thanks for filling me in... :thumb:
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

flea1 wrote:I had no idea that tobacco stayed good for a long time. I
There's guys on ASP that talk about having stored/aged their tabacco for 5+ years.
flea1

Post by flea1 »

that's pretty nuts...so what are some bulk tobacco you guys would recommend?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

flea1 wrote:that's pretty nuts...so what are some bulk tobacco you guys would recommend?
My experience is as limited in bulk tobaccos as it is in somewhere like Outback steak house. I'm the guy who will order something, love it, and order it every time I'm there for 30 years. The first bulk I really loved was Peterson's Black Kathy (if your b&m doesn't sell it, cupojoes.com does). I've also tried and liked a blend called r&r but I've never checked to see who makes it (could have been a custom blend done by the shop owner).
flea1

Post by flea1 »

What is your favorite tin blend...?
JMB

Post by JMB »

flea, you might want to look around this site.

http://www.pipes.org/discus/messages/24 ... 1108614031
flea1

Post by flea1 »

cool...i will check it out.

thanks
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

flea1 wrote:What is your favorite tin blend...?
I'm starting at MacBaren's sweet blends. I'm working through a tin of Their Uncle Louie's Whiskey and Vanilla blend. I want to try something like Navy Flake soon but that's a large jump in terms of strong tobacco.
munkey

Post by munkey »

How long a tobacco will keep depends largely on how well it is stored. The tobacco will also change with age. Here is a bunch of information on this topic:
http://agingfaq.nocturne.org/

-Scott
JMB

Post by JMB »

Hey Scott: cool site, thanks for posting.

JB
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Flea,

The problem with a list of on'es "favorite bulk blends" is that their names will be particular to a single tobacconist. For instance, Lane Ltd.'s 1Q is known by at least 1000 different names at 1000 different tobacconists all around the world. So if I told you that my three favorite bulk blends were Golden Bear, Honeydew Mist, and Goat Scrumper, and you asked your tobacconist for them, he wouldn't have any idea which bulk blends you were referencing.

Now you can get some blends in bulk that are (usually) sold by their name from the manufacturer, Dunhill 965 for instance, but more often than not, tobacconists re-name blends done by Lane, McClelland, etc. in order to make them more marketable. If you're going to smoke bulk and you want to know what you're smoking, ask your tobacconist to give you the name/number for the blend and it's manufacturer. If you go into any tobacconist in the world and order a pound of Lane's 1Q, they'll all know what you're talking about. If you ask them for Goat Scrumper, they'll probably refer you to a store in West Virginia . . . :D

Todd

P.S. FWIW, you might want to try McCrannies Red Ribbon, Escudo, or McClelland 27 or 24 as transitional blends. I've found that these tend to go down easy for folks making the transition from (bulk) aromatics to (semi) real tobacco. Hopefully these blends will eventually lead you down the dark road to Latakia and Orientals where you will find GLP Odyssey, Caravan, Dunhill Apertif, EMP, Presbyterian Mixture, C and D DaVinci, etc. Happy smoking!
flea1

Post by flea1 »

Thanks Todd...I actually went out last night to the local tobacco shop and bought a pipe and an oz. of Dunhill Early Morning Blend. Smoked some on the way home from the store...not bad! I didn't really know what to expect as I have only smoked cigarettes and cigars. I didn't want to buy an aromatic blend due to the fact the flavor bleeds into the pipe (from what people have said on this site).

The guy at Buffalo traders and a customer advised me I really need to just try different blends and go from there. They said it is like drinking coffee for the first time...you either like it or you don't.

Thanks again everybody...just got an email from PIMO and my pipe kit is in the mail.....yeah hooooooooooooooooo!

Joshua
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

flea1 wrote: They said it is like drinking coffee for the first time...you either like it or you don't.
I didn't like coffee the first time I tried it but I do now, likewise many tobaccos. Maybe its just me though.

As for bulks...McClelland's 5100 is one of my favorites, and McClelland in general is a high quality brand that is good to experiment within. You can do some sniff testing, buy what smells good, and see if you like it. The examples of the respective blend types will be high quality and good indicators.

Tyler
flea1

Post by flea1 »

Thank you for the suggestions...

I recently bought some Dunhill Early Morning Blend...which is not bad but seem to be to mild. It is definitely a nice relaxing smoke....I will probably make a trip to the tobacco shop soon to check out some other stuff.