A Rad inspired Dublin

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
AlfaDog

A Rad inspired Dublin

Post by AlfaDog »

This is a pipe I just finished. It was a inspired by Dublin made by Rad. I did get my bowl too small at the top. Totally my fault, I left the picture in the house when I went to the shop and just winged it. I definately should have gone back to get the picture. lol. The shape was suggested to me by wisemanpipes. Thanks brother. I used my double patented triple contrast stain technique, soon to revolutionize pipe making as we know it. (Pfffftttt) Heard that one. It's supposed to show three colors using two stains. Anyway, without further ado, for your viewing pleasure, may I introduce Fred:

the rev

Re: A Rad inspired Dublin

Post by the rev »

you banging out one a day brother? crazy.

what do you think is wrong with it?

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Evan suggested I copy this pipe in the picture (A Rad Davis masterpiece). I left the picture in the house when I turned the stummel and I got the top of the bowl way too small. I probably should have reduced the size of the shank to keep it in proportion. That's just what I think but I'm definately no expert. I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks.

Uh oh. I can't copy and paste the picture. It's in this thread, the blasted Dublin.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8258&start=0
GPipe

Post by GPipe »

Nice looking pipe. Mind if I ask you what dye colors were used on this?
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Not at all. I sanded to 320 and stained with Mahogany. I sanded with 400 until the dye only remained in the soft wood. I then stained with English Tan (looks kinda orange to me). Then I water sanded with 600 until you could just see raw briar in places. Then I went through the buffing stages. I call it the triple contrast because you can see Mahogany, English Tan and golden streaks of briar.
This process also looks really cool with Dark Brown and Mahogany.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Pretty good looking!

A couple of comments:
1) Looks like you have a slight gap in your stem shank junction.
2) This composition, as you pointed out, is a little shank heavy. A thinner shank would balance things.
3) The stem looks a little wavy on the thin portion. Try to get a consistent thickness or a gentle taper toward the pipe.
4) In pic three it looks like the cheeks on the sides of the bowl aren't symmetrical.

I've seen much worse on the shelf in my B&M. The stain is lovely. You should be proud of this one.
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Ocelot55 wrote:Pretty good looking!

A couple of comments:
1) Looks like you have a slight gap in your stem shank junction.
2) This composition, as you pointed out, is a little shank heavy. A thinner shank would balance things.
3) The stem looks a little wavy on the thin portion. Try to get a consistent thickness or a gentle taper toward the pipe.
4) In pic three it looks like the cheeks on the sides of the bowl aren't symmetrical.

I've seen much worse on the shelf in my B&M. The stain is lovely. You should be proud of this one.
All true I'm afraid. Thank you for the review, you've been very helpful and I appreciate your taking the time to help me. Personally, I feel I took a step back on this pipe but I'm fired up and ready to tackle the next one. I'll do better.
Wallace
Last edited by AlfaDog on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

I almost forgot to give a shout out to Vermont Freehand. I bought the briar from him and it all looks lovely. I only hope I can do it justice. This is my first pipe using his briar.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

How is that Rad Davis inspired? That pipe doesn't look cranky or cantankerous.

I applauded your volume of work. I just start back on my first per drilled pipe from 2010.
Kevin
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

bikedoctor wrote:How is that Rad Davis inspired? That pipe doesn't look cranky or cantankerous.

I applauded your volume of work. I just start back on my first per drilled pipe from 2010.
Well, breaks over, get back to work! I think volume might have been part of the problem here. I need to get back to quality over quantity. I think. Since I learn something from every pipe, I guess quantity has it's good points too.

I'd like to see your pipe when you're finished with it.
Wallace
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

My pipe would rank behind Ollie's monstrosities from Oom Paul podcast lore but should grotesque pipe humor be need I shall submit a sample.

Again, excellent volume and I enjoy watching the progression. Not all have been so transparent. Very refreshing.
Kevin
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

hey wallace. i cant believe you banged that out in one day. kudos to you sir.
i second everything the ocelot said, but nontheless you did an outstanding job!
cant wait to see the next one. btw your stain is very lovely and the crosscut block from steve is great too.
congrats on FRED?!
-evan
the rev

Post by the rev »

I always look at my pipes and can see things I don't think are right, which I why I asked you. Part of our learning is learning to critique our own work.

I like this pipe, but the stem shank junction seems clunky.

rev

AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

wisemanpipes wrote:hey wallace. i cant believe you banged that out in one day. kudos to you sir.
i second everything the ocelot said, but nontheless you did an outstanding job!
cant wait to see the next one. btw your stain is very lovely and the crosscut block from steve is great too.
congrats on FRED?!
-evan
Thanks Evan. I missed this one a country mile. I know it, I hate it and I'm kicking myself in the keester for it. I like the stain though. I stumbled on that by accident a few pipes ago by overloading my tripoli wheel and buffing clear through to the briar in places. It looked pretty neat, with the golden briar showing through the other two colors, so I experimented to find an easier, less messy way to repeat the process. If any of you guys want to give this a try, I take Paypal or cash in an envelope. lol.
Wallace
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

the rev wrote:I always look at my pipes and can see things I don't think are right, which I why I asked you. Part of our learning is learning to critique our own work.

I like this pipe, but the stem shank junction seems clunky.

rev
I think I got really close to Rad's on the stem/shank (except the stem itself is wavy) I think the undersized bowl on mine just throws off the proportions of the whole pipe. Now, that's just my opinion, but check out the benchmark and tell me what you think:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8258&start=20
Page one, the blasted Dublin Evan posted.

How do you copy and paste here?
Wile E.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

i am no expert but what i did yesterday was find a pick on a social media site like photobucket/flicker etc... then hit the IMG button when posting a reply. copy and paste the picture link in between the 2 IMG brackets and post. give it a try. im not 100% though.

evan

ps. i think the pipe looks nice and i would smoke it. she doesnt look like rads all that much but its still nice nontheless.
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

wisemanpipes wrote:i am no expert but what i did yesterday was find a pick on a social media site like photobucket/flicker etc... then hit the IMG button when posting a reply. copy and paste the picture link in between the 2 IMG brackets and post. give it a try. im not 100% though.

evan

ps. i think the pipe looks nice and i would smoke it. she doesnt look like rads all that much but its still nice nontheless.
So you found Rad's pipe on photobucket? I can download that way. What I can't do is transfer a picture from one thread or post to another without copying it to my computer, uploading it to photobucket, then transfering it here. Is this the only way to do that if I want to reference another pipe? No shortcuts?

I'll definately smoke the pipe. My first shop pipe. I can't even in good conscience give it away. lol. Good practice though. I will try the shape again. I'm not licked yet. Thanks for all your help.
the rev

Post by the rev »

AlfaDog wrote:
wisemanpipes wrote:i am no expert but what i did yesterday was find a pick on a social media site like photobucket/flicker etc... then hit the IMG button when posting a reply. copy and paste the picture link in between the 2 IMG brackets and post. give it a try. im not 100% though.

evan

So you found Rad's pipe on photobucket? I can download that way. What I can't do is transfer a picture from one thread or post to another without copying it to my computer, uploading it to photobucket, then transfering it here. Is this the only way to do that if I want to reference another pipe? No shortcuts?

I'll definately smoke the pipe. My first shop pipe. I can't even in good conscience give it away. lol. Good practice though. I will try the shape again. I'm not licked yet. Thanks for all your help.
right click the picture, and choose copy image location, then come back to the forum. At the top of the reply form you see a button that says Img on it, click that, then put your arrow between the brackets and paste your url there. That should make it show the picture

rev

the rev

Post by the rev »

I just did it with your picture above

rev

AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Rev-
That's where I messed up, I tried to paste directly into the box without the IMG button. Thank you very much.

I would also like to thank you for copying and pasting the least offensive picture of the bunch. That shows you are a man of discression and honor. :notworthy:
Wallace