New Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brurobas

New Pipes

Post by brurobas »

Good afternoon,

Here are 3 pipes i finished last week.

In these pipes i tested a new staining method including the use of Shellac for the first time.

These are also the first pipes i put my Logo in. I received the stamp from Buckeye Engraving last week and it works like a charm.

The pictures didn't came out exactly as i wanted but i am going to take new ones tomorrow :-)

CHUBBY DARK POT

FREEHAND

TIGER VOLCANO

I would really appreciate your comments and critique.

Regards,

Bruno
brurobas

Re: New Pipes

Post by brurobas »

One opinion...?

Please...

:wink:
the rev

Post by the rev »

I am not qualified to offer solid critique, these are just my opinions. The volcano is not a volcano to me, it doesn't flare out enough. The profile shows a more of an abrupt turn rather than a smooth curve on the bottom. the shank stummel transition could be sharper on the volcano and the freehand.

Again, just my thoughts, I am sure my pipes don't follow my own opinions, which makes me a hypocrite or just not skilled enough to follow my own advice

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

your not a rustimicator eh? i think you should start or maybe sandblast. the shape on the last one is kinda amophorous and doesnt really do a volcano justice. i know this is odd, but check andrews site, i think hes got a volcano that you were shooting for maybe? straight edged with a rigid shank. i can kinda see where you were going but it looks like the beginings of a poker with a dropped shank. it also could do with some symmetry, since the bottom is very assymetrical. sand your bowls so theres no chatter from the bit.
the Pot is really nice. i like that one alot, but if your cutting your own acrylic then shorted up the shoulder on the saddle and it will sharpen it up. freehand is a freehand so i cant place my opinion on it. ya nooo?
also wanted to say i like your new stamp and also the shellac is makin em shineeeee 8)
-evan
Last edited by wisemanpipes on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

id also like to add that im in the same boat as rev. no critique, just my opinion on what i like and find attractive.
rijks

Post by rijks »

Three are pretty good (volcano is not a really one ;)) but my preference is for the first one ! The finish is better (for me) that the other one.

Best regards,
Patrick Rijks
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Bruno

I would like to see the first pipe with a sharper saddle bit like this http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/a ... _ID=117053

I think the shank is a little wider toward the stem and in spite of incurring the wrath of some I would prefer a black coating on the bowl (apologies to G L Pease)

The second one would be a good candidate for rustication as it appears unfinished.

No offense but my first impression of the third was a clubbed foot which is sad since I like the birds eye on it.

Still you are more skilled than me and should pursue more pipes.
Kevin
Great Plains Piper

Post by Great Plains Piper »

Not a lot of qualified opinion here but I can tell you what I see and would have done differently...

Chubby Pot - Probably my favorite of the 3. Sand the bowl, you've got stain bleeding down.

Freehand - Stain is a little dark around the front/top of your bowl, a little more time with 400 sandpaper before shellac would even that out I'd think. Also on this one I wouldn't have bent the stem so much, a little bend goes a long way.

Volcano - if this were mine I'd go back at it and make it "volcano" a bit more and work on the shank bowl transition. As is it looks more like a poker than a volcano. Also something about that one begs me to rusticate.

Overall not bad looking pipes. I'd smoke 'em. I really like the color and finish on the pot. Stamp looks good too!

EDIT I just reviewed what other people have said and it looks like I repeated some things here, oh well.
Thus o’er my pipe, in contemplation
Of such things, I can constantly
Indulge in fruitful meditation
And so, puffing contentedly,
On land, on sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

-Johann Sebastian Bach
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Remember what I said on FTT about what was going to happen if you posted here without getting the stain out of the bowl? Maybe you'll listen to papa next time. LOL Nice pipes. See you on FTT.
Wallace
brurobas

Post by brurobas »

Thank you for your words guys!

:wink:
the rev

Post by the rev »

ftt?
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

the rev wrote:ftt?
www.fairtradetobacco.com
Tobacco growing forum. We have a few pipe makers there and teach how to grow tobacco and make pipe blends from home grown, etc. Drop in, my name is Knucklehead over there.
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

My favorite is the freehand. The lines seem to flow well together, and the grain complements the shape very well.

The first one's shape and color are pretty cool, but the grain pattern in the stem is working at cross-purposes with the grain pattern in the briar. It seems like there should be some kind of band between them to ease the visual transition between stem and stummel. I'm not much practiced on pipes, but in veneer work, you usually try to avoid putting two highly-figured patterns right next to each other, unless they're totally different kinds/colors of figure.

This is all coming from a rank beginner, so take it for what it's worth.
- Steve S.