For All You Newbies...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
e Markle

For All You Newbies...

Post by e Markle »

I just reread an article, and I thought many of you would benefit from some of the advice. The below comments from Todd Johnson are in response to a post on the TobaccoDays blog. Read the article if you like, but pay special attention to Todd's comments. I'm reposting them here (with some minor format editing). I would call your attention to numbers 3,5 and 7.

I'll briefly add that you cannot become an artisan until you are an excellent craftsman. The vast majority of the pipes I see here are attempts at artisan shapes, yet there's very little in the way of fine craftsmanship. Please don't be offended by that; it is meant to help you. BTW, I'm just restating #3. Read on.

David,

This is an interesting survey of the questions, but I don’t feel like it actually tries to answer any of them. In light of that, I will offer my unsolicited advice to all those who want to enter the industry as “professional” pipe makers.

1. Make pretty pipes that are well engineered. Until you can do this, you don’t have a viable product to offer at any price.

2. Don’t quit your day job. Doing this for a living is difficult, and there are probably less than five people in the US who do this full time, as their family’s only source of income.

3. For the love of God, don’t be “original” until you can carve consistently pretty, well-engineered pipes in accepted, conventional shapes. We’ve all heard the quote “Your work is both good and original. Unfortunately, the parts that are good are not original, and the parts that are original are not good.” Established shapes exist for a reason, and there is no shame in reproducing them. Once your skill set catches up with your inexhaustibly creative brain then, by all means, go apeshit. Until then, keep it simple, stupid.

4. Don’t chase the endorsement of would-be tastemakers, gatekeepers, blowhards, or self-important morons who want to “sponsor” you as their pipemaking boy-toy. Soon enough you will find yourself riding the bus to God know’s where wondering why you’re a passenger on your own effing bus. Beware of Greeks bearing gifts–even if those gifts look like a first class ticket to fame and fortune amongst your benefactors’ adoring klingons. Instead, the city that was once your career will be summarily raped and pillaged. Never let anyone else–not a collector, not a dealer, not another pipemaker, and no, not your Great Aunt, Pearl!

5. LISTEN TO YOUR COLLECTORS when they offer criticism. DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR COLLECTORS when they offer praise. Every mother tells her daughter she’s pretty, and yet there are lots of ugly women out there. Connect the dots. Someone’s not telling the truth.

6. Get to know your collectors’ tastes and preferences. Every successful visual artist has a “patron” or two. Cultivate patrons that will grow with you rather than trying to be the most popular kid in school. Buyers that can be swayed by trends and blog posts will not help you make a sustainable living. They are like Facebook “friends,” i. e. acquaintances. If you end your life with three real friends, then you are truly blessed. Likewise, if you end your pipemaking career with three real collectors who have grown with you and continued to support you throughout your career, you are again blessed.

7. Quit trying to make Blowfish. The last thing we need is another briar abortion in the shape of a melting lollipop.

8. Buy the very best tools you can possibly afford, but know that great tools will never turn you into a great pipemaker.

9. Listen to every single thing that Lars, Tom, Nana, Jess, Teddy, Toku, Toni, Kei, Former, Per, Ulf, Wolfgang, etc. take the time to tell you, and for God’sake don’t make excuses to them for why your pipes aren’t what they should be. Just listen, and do what you’re advised.

10. Don’t ever give pipes away. Not only does it devalue your work, but it will NEVER pay any meaningful dividends. No one will ever appreciate something they’ve received for free the way they will appreciate something they’ve spent their hard-earned money on. Glowing reviews of free pipes are about as valuable as a bag of shit minus the cost of the bag. And that, my friends–to quote both Dr. Dre and Ben Folds–is some real conversation for your ass.

TJ
Gershom

Re: For All You Newbies...

Post by Gershom »

+1

Especially #'s 3,7,9,10.

Great.
the rev

Post by the rev »

Thanks for sharing that Ernie, I will try and follow that advice as perfectly as I can. One of the issues I have been dealing with is my first pipes were "weird" and I have a lot of people wanting me to make "weird" pipes for them. I feel like this allows me to get paid to learn, which is kind of cool. But I do want to try and do a lot more work learning how to make traditional shapes. What would you advise someone like me who is getting constant commissions, and most (but not all) wanting freehand shapes, blowfish and what not? I was thinking of maybe just putting a space between each commission whether it is traditional or not to make a billiard, canadian, dublin or rodesian?

And #7 hurts my heart, it is my favorite shape

:cry:

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
andrew

Post by andrew »

I havent read this for a while. Honestly, reading it again brings a bit of relief.

This is still solid advice for those of us who are not yet artisans, but are still in the craftsman stage.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Excellent advice, to be sure.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
phmann

Post by phmann »

I like 7.

Good advice too. I think the bottom line is that because well made pipes are not always readily available to study, as in my case, it is easy to socum to the idea that this is a relatively easy craft. Having only seen dr. Grabow and pictures online, I didn't have a realistic idea of the detail and skill needed to make a good pipe. Currently I don't think that even with the best piece of briar, I am not yet capable of making pipes in the price range of a true artisan pipe. Don't get me wrong, I take much pride in my work and criticism can be tough, but I have a more realistic vision of the craft and the time and dedication it takes to satisfy the distinguishing collector's taste. Oh people will buy mine, sure, but it has to be a fair price with some expectation that there are much better pipes out there (for about 3 times as much)...

I don't agree with the idea that a free pipe does not have as much value. If it is a meaningful gift that you have tailored to be individualized for a specific person and is given as a significant gift (my father in law and best man in my wedding) it can hold even more value.
"A good pipe guides the restless mind."

-Manny

http://mriverapipes.wordpress.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

They are all great points, and some are pretty funny but I'm loving #7. No offense to anyone, but I've seen some blow fishes directly followed by a billiard or pot asking for critique that need serious help. You have to learn how to make a sexy curve on a plain pipe before you can do it on something as busy as a blowfish.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

fuchi_jeg wrote:They are all great points, and some are pretty funny but I'm loving #7. No offense to anyone, but I've seen some blow fishes directly followed by a billiard or pot asking for critique that need serious help. You have to learn how to make a sexy curve on a plain pipe before you can do it on something as busy as a blowfish.
Well, some blowfish are more equal than others, I guess.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230941396637?_t ... 97.c0.m619
Leus

Post by Leus »

But I love making smelting lollipops!
the rev

Post by the rev »

I would sincerely like an answer

rev

e Markle

Post by e Markle »

the rev wrote:What would you advise someone like me who is getting constant commissions, and most (but not all) wanting freehand shapes, blowfish and what not? I was thinking of maybe just putting a space between each commission whether it is traditional or not to make a billiard, canadian, dublin or rodesian?

And #7 hurts my heart, it is my favorite shape
I'll assume you're asking me. First off, Todd isn't saying that the blowfish isn't a nice shape; he's saying that the newbie attempts at a blowfish look terrible - which is the closest thing to a universal pipe maxim we're going to find. What other outcome could there be? It's a complex shape.

I'm not sure what I would recommend, but your idea is a good starting place. Another would be to not sell pipes until you're ready. You are building a portfolio, and (not speaking to you directly) it can hurt you if you're releasing pieces that, frankly, the world just isn't ready to see. I have seen a couple of really nice early pipes from people on this site only to be followed by some unholy desecretion of briar so awful I have to pour bleach in my eyes to remove the image. Which will I remember more? Be very conscious of what you are doing; each effect, feature, finish is making an impact, and they will show up on the estate market (think eBay).

Additionally, each pipe you make solidifies how you think about lines, proportion and flow. If you make a bunch of hideous pipes then you'll grow accustomed to seeing really bad lines/shapes/what have you. Don't get me wrong, experimentation is important, but being proud of a poorly executed, ugly pipe isn't going to help you. Instead of showing off that gem, just put it on your rack and learn from your mistake.

Another important exercise is to make the same shape over and over. Make 5 billiards (or whatever classic) in a row, and if you don't turn your brain off, it will give you insights into what your take on a billiard is, how you can make it faster, what the essential aspects of the shape are, etc.
the rev

Post by the rev »

Thanks Ernie, despite what people universally think of you, you are all right in my book

rev

MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

Great post Ernie.

I traded a pipe I made for a Calabash as I had been wanting one for years. I specifically asked for HONEST feedback on my work (glad I did not stamp the pipe :D ). I was lucky enough to get the honest feedback and am focusing on the suggested areas needing improvement. It made me excited to see how the next pipe would turn out focusing on those areas.

So, I agree, listen to constructive criticism. Don't get disappointed and try again.
Michael Labo
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Ernie, you are such a butt hole.

Hope this helps.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Ernie's only useful post on the forum and he didn't even write the goddam thing.

So sad I could puke.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Sasquatch wrote:Ernie's only useful post on the forum and he didn't even write the goddam thing.

So sad I could puke.
We're still waiting for a useful post from you. ;)
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote:Ernie, you are such a butt hole.

Hope this helps.

Rad
I'm glad you picked up on the fact that this was directed at you, but I'm sorry you're taking it so poorly.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

the rev wrote:Thanks Ernie, despite what people universally think of you, you are all right in my book

rev
Meh, you get used to it.
mredmond
Site Supporter

For All You Newbies...

Post by mredmond »

e Markle wrote:
Another important exercise is to make the same shape over and over. Make 5 billiards (or whatever classic) in a row, and if you don't turn your brain off, it will give you insights into what your take on a billiard is, how you can make it faster, what the essential aspects of the shape are, etc.
A couple months ago I finished a commissioned set of seven straight billiards with horn ferrules, and looking back it was probably the single most helpful pipe making activity for me, thus far. I had to figure out ways to work faster and more efficiently. I had to figure out methods that were repeatable and produced similar results. Am I an expert billiard maker now? Not even close, but I'm better at a quite few things than I was before. Things that apply to any pipe, not just billiards. Butthole, or not, I think Ernie's advice is good.
birba

Post by birba »

One of the most helpful things in this forum is the comments in the Gallery.
I can look at any finished pipe and read what was done "wrong" and immediately check it out in the pictures. That helps so much.