Second-ever pipe finished

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
LatakiaLover

Second-ever pipe finished

Post by LatakiaLover »

I decided to throw on some stain and wax instead of sandblast the critter, for the time being, anyway. It's the sort of shape that would honk up pretty easy if the blasting didn't go as planned, and there's no rewind button. So, I'll just see what I think after a while about the pit being there, being able to see the grain, how it colors, and all that. I can always blast it later.

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
The Smoking Yeti

Re: Second-ever pipe finished

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

*respect*

Leave it smooth.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Well done! I think the hook has now been firmly set.
Chas.
Alden

Post by Alden »

I don't know if you want any critique from a semi-noob but just looking at the pipe and taking into account what I've learned the last two years studying pipemaking and year of making them, I think you could make some changes.
Depending on how high your airway is, if you slimmed the shank a bit by taking a little meat off the top of the shank you would have a much more sleek looking pipe. If you also slimmed down the bowl itself by a few MM around the base I think you would have a more elegant pipe and you would probably rid yourself completely of the smaller spot and make the bigger one less noticeable/mostly eliminated. I think it would add up to a better looking, though a bit less practical pipe.
You seem to be a very practical guy and it shows in the clean crisp lines and practical proportions of the pipe. I tend to be more artistic and so I have ended up with a few pipes that looked cool but smoked hot :D
Aesthetically I think the changes would do the pipe a lot of good, but at the loss of a bit of extra strength in the shank and thickness in the bowl wall.
Also, I think the foot is quite heavy looking compared to the rest of the pipe. In my eyes I can see it half the size (circumference) and looking a lot better.
All that being said, its really a shame you won't pursue this. You have an awesome talent for it !
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

oklahoma red wrote:I think the hook has now been firmly set.
Nah. Making them vs. fixing them is a wholly different feeling, and not one that I particularly care for. It's a combination of knowing that no matter how good you ever get, there will be plenty of pipes that make your best attempt look lame, plus being a "doctor" who heals other people's sick children is more satisfying (to me, anyway) than putting your own kids up for adoption.

Besides, making whole pipes is messy. :lol: My cat gave me dirty looks the entire time.

I made this one on impulse. I wanted to check "make a whole pipe" off my bucket list, and the shape was one I've had in mind for years but have never been able to find.

Now I'm thinking maybe I'll take it along to Chicago and see if I can get someone who does a lot of blasting to zap it for me.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Alden wrote: Depending on how high your airway is, if you slimmed the shank a bit by taking a little meat off the top of the shank you would have a much more sleek looking pipe. If you also slimmed down the bowl itself by a few MM around the base I think you would have a more elegant pipe and you would probably rid yourself completely of the smaller spot and make the bigger one less noticeable/mostly eliminated. I think it would add up to a better looking, though a bit less practical pipe
I agree. What you describe is exactly what I had in mind when I started out, then just surrendered to laziness and practicality. (I was also a bit worried that the pit could get truly huge if I kept going, though I don't know how to read that sort of thing.)
Also, I think the foot is quite heavy looking compared to the rest of the pipe. In my eyes I can see it half the size (circumference) and looking a lot better.
I have several clay pattern pipes with a foot that's too small to be functional, which irritates me. Function should dictate form, I think. So, I was determined that this one would allow both set-down stability and enough meat to actually grab. a.k.a. --- no dummy exhaust ports on this Buick! :twisted:

Thanks for the feedback. You have a good eye, I think.
The Drinking Yeti

Post by The Drinking Yeti »

As my brother so succinctly put it, *respect*.
I think it looks great! I really wouldn't change anything, except maybe the lighting for your pictures.

No need to make another. Just wait and see how long THAT sentiment lasts... You will be smoking a couple months from now when inspiration will strike, and no matter what you do it will bug the shit out of you :banghead: , until you make another :mrgreen: .
Rev says, "holy shit that is bitchen"
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

OK. I finally settled on not blasting the pipe, because 1) the flaw looked to be one that could get worse (open into a crater) if blasted, and it's in a structurally important place; and 2) while there's decent straight grain there is little evidence of growth rings. Meaning it would probably result in a bland blast, anyway.

That decision made, I replaced the temporary "wash" finish with a serious, permanent one; tweaked the stem's shape a little (slight, decreasing radius bends are always the hardest to get exactly right, especially when using Lucite); and polished the airway.

Fini!

Except for the flaw (duh), I'm satisfied. Nothing blew up, I didn't break any tools, I still have all my fingers, and my cat has forgiven me. The shape is sort of a weird compromise between a clay pattern, uber-delicate "swan" art pipe, and a beefy, daily smoker one. I guess that's why I could never find one on the shelf. The shape can't quite decide if its mission is looker or smoker.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention earlier that it weighs 39.1 grams, and is 7.25" long. The chamber shape is neither U nor V, but parabolic.

RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

You'd better sand the stain out of the top of the bowl before Wayne sees it! :twisted:

Rad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

RadDavis wrote:You'd better sand the stain out of the top of the bowl before Wayne sees it! :twisted:
Sounds scary. What'll happen?

I figured it would soon be hidden under a luscious layer of Kendal Kentucky cake, so wouldn't matter. Now I'm worried.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Sounds scary. What'll happen?
Multiple strokes with his favorite weapon-Ream and Clean.
Chas.
The Drinking Yeti

Post by The Drinking Yeti »

I see another block of briar in that picture. You leading us on about not making more?
Rev says, "holy shit that is bitchen"
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I see another block of briar in that picture. You leading us on about not making more?
Yeah, and we don't want to hear any BS about you only bought two and that was the back-up block in case the first one was a turd. Put a dust mask on Puss and give him some catnip to mellow him out then make more pipes. I'm going to move heaven and earth to try and be in KC in June so be prepared to catch hell. :)
Chas.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

George, you bringing that to the meeting at the end of the month (wink wink....nudge nudge)?? Hell or high water I'm gonna be there and would love to see it in person.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Yeti and Red --- The block was a gift from a club friend who is a hardcore carver (and has an amazing wood stash) who has tried for years to convince me to "stop messing with repairs and get serious." He figured having it lying around might entice me someday. That's it. I don't have the tools, the space, a wood supply, or a dust system to deal with the process. I made this one on a lark as a "self assessment test". Like stepping to the plate against major league pitching (meaning an unforgiving, technically demanding shape), to see if I could even hit the ball. Now that it's finished, I feel like I managed to hit a grounder, and my curiosity is satisfied. So, it's back to repairs for moi.

Scottie --- I'll be there, and I'll bring it. Excited to meet you is me. :D The GKCPC gathering is a week from today, btw, Thursday the 18th.
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Sigh.
I will grudgingly quit pestering you (for now). If I make it in June, well it's game on.
Scotties: you take over on your end. Bring your rolling pin.
Chas.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

oklahoma red wrote:Sigh.
If I make it in June, well it's game on.
Definitely would be cool if you made the show. If you've never been to one, get ready for a kid-in-a-candy-store experience. If you've been around and know how they work, KC's vibe is much like the Richmond show of the late 80's through mid-90's. Equal parts commerce and camaraderie, with classiness a priority. Some of the PipeWorld's bigger names showed up last year and are coming back, which speaks volumes, I think. 8)

In addition, there is TONS of first rate shopping nearby for da wiff, world class BBQ throughout the city, and the GKCPC has an iron-clad contract with Mother nature for perfect weather.

As for Scottie's rolling pin, it'll probably be unnecessary. I'm rendered completely helpless by a woman with a southern accent.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Damn you guys.....I really don't have an accent, I promise. Everyone is just gonna have to be on the next google hangout just so I can prove it.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

scotties22 wrote:Damn you guys.....I really don't have an accent, I promise. Everyone is just gonna have to be on the next google hangout just so I can prove it.
Scottie is doing accents next hangout?!?!

HAWT DAMN!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/