dust collection

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
pipeguy

dust collection

Post by pipeguy »

Hi all, This is probably a silly question, but here goes. My dust collector is doing its job however I still have dust flying off
the grinderand on the floor and on me . It's a Rikon dust collector I'm looking for 100% no dust. Am I expecting too much? Is there something like a cowel or cover that anyone uses around there grinder that assists? thanks
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
dogcatcher

Re: dust collection

Post by dogcatcher »

Collecting all of the dust is like herding cats, you can try but there will always be some that gets away.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I just wear a chemical mask and let the dust fly!

Actually, I have a vacuum hooked up too, but it only gets about half of the dust.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

You need to look up the name Bill Pentz and seriously consider what he's got to say regarding the hazards associated with dust exposure and his proposed solution.

If he's wrong... then you'll have the cleanest shop around. If he's right... then you'll save yourself from some serious health problems...and have the cleanest shop around.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I have the 2hp Rikon dust collector. I have noticed if I sand on the inner part of my 5" disc it throws dust pretty bad. I have a felling it has to do with the placement of my hose and the fact that I need to get some sort of inlet to put right under my disk on the lathe. My next purchase is going to be a air filter that I can hang from the ceiling....get all the small stuff outa the garage.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

There's only 2 ways to control dust as far as I can tell - you need "at source" collection, in this case some sort of hood, drawing enough air to collect the majority of the dust. Ordinarily this means having gates closed so that the port in question is the only one taking any air in.

Aside from that, running an air cleaner will do a lot, and for pipe making, you might consider having one pretty close to wherever you are. These keep the dust from ever really building up in the air.

I don't know of a better way to do it. If you work with wood and power tools, you'll come out of it a little dusty no matter what.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

i wear a mask for every operation that creates dust, you would be surprised how much fine dust escapes even from the drill press
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

I have an 2hp dust collector setup with 125mm tubing and air gates.

I was really carefull on where to place the tube on my disc and belt sanders, and I have a 100% dust extraction at the belt and when I'm working on the left side of the wheel which is the 80% of my work.

See some of my photos here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8400
PipesByDesign

Post by PipesByDesign »

I'll say it again, and risk sounding annoying (not really worried about that since I'm fully convinced by this guy), but you need to read through Pentz's website and seriously consider what he is saying. I believe he provides compelling discussion about what the actual dangers are with dust, what is required to actually collect and contain it, and how the commercially available systems completely miss the mark. It's a simple matter of airflow and air quantity, and that is going to be directly related to how big your blower is and how big its motor is.

By themselves some of the blower setups you can buy from the various outlets will generate the required specs (not established by Pentz, just reported by him), but improper ducting immediately cuts down on the performance so that by the time you reach your tool the airflow is simply not adequate.

Of course, what we're talking about isn't keeping your shop clean looking (most collectors will do that), we're talking about keeping it healthy and safe.

Again, if Pentz is wrong then you'll have the absolute cleanest shop out there, but if he's right and you don't implement what he proposes then you are at huge risk of serious health issues.

The health issues are something Pentz has experienced himself, and are documented by other sources. Wood dust... specifically the particles you can't see... is highly hazardous to your health.

Just sayin...
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

It's a pain in the ass. I do pretty much what SAS said. I close down all but what I'm working on
Then drag an air cleaner along. On good days (no rain) I turn on some big fans open the door and let hell have it. Seems to work. When in doubt, I wear a chemical mask. I got a chest and nose infection 7 wks. ago and went Thurs. to the doctor. still have congestion. Dust doesn't help. C>O>P>D or Silicosis of the lung is a rough way to die. Be careful!!!
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Vermont Freehand wrote:here's the best I've seen;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2KBpheq ... e=youtu.be
Yeah, I want one of these setups... A good respirator also helps loads with dust issues.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:
Vermont Freehand wrote:here's the best I've seen;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2KBpheq ... e=youtu.be
Yeah, I want one of these setups... A good respirator also helps loads with dust issues.
+1 for the respirator. I wear one every time I sit down to the disk.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard