Bulldog proportions....updated with progress pics

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
scotties22

Bulldog proportions....updated with progress pics

Post by scotties22 »

Any set proportions for a straight bulldog? Am I still shooting for stem lenght = stummel length...or there abouts? And how about shank length? I have one I am working on that I think looks okay and another I am going to turn tonight and want to make sure I have it right on the block before I go and screw something up.
Last edited by scotties22 on Sat May 11, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
WCannoy

Re: Bulldog proportions

Post by WCannoy »

I wish I could help you, but I tend to just "eyeball" everything, especially a proper billiard, whose proportions I think look ugly...
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

For classical proportions, check out mid-20th century examples from any of the better English makers. Comoy's Barling, Dunhill, etc.

A bulldog these days really only has to have the characteristic sharp delineation between the upper and lower parts of the bowl, with the upper portion being conical. Engraved rings aren't required, but are common. Shank shape depends on who you talk to. (Don't ask, or you'll find yourself instantly mired in the endless & unresolvable mess known as, "The differences between bulldogs and Rhodesians" :lol: )

That squat straight bulldog you brought to last week's meeting had everyone talking after you left, btw. I can't wait until you finish it.

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

That picture is exactly the look I'm going for :lol: I like the way that one looks and I think the proportions are okay...gonna start the stem again tomorrow. I totally guessed and think I came out lucky. this is the one I am going to start and I can't decide if I should add the extra 1/2"(ish) to the shank or not.

www.ladybriar.com
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

FWIW Scottie,
i think the 1/2 inch chopped off looks better. doesnt show that much taper. (i dont like stem tapers for some reason? :? )
looks like the grains gonna be killer!
best of luck on that one!
-evan
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Which of the two vertical lines at the end of the shank are you planning on using?
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

LatakiaLover wrote:Which of the two vertical lines at the end of the shank are you planning on using?
that's the question of the day. I am leaning towards the shorter of the two. That would make the stummel right at 2.75" long. The longer line would put it at 3.125 long. I just can't decide which would look better.
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

10-4.

My eyeballs say neither. That the right length is between them, about 1/3rd of the way toward the longer one from the shorter one.

Wherever you chop it, remember that the face of the shank (and the mortise) should be a right angle to the outside of the shank---meaning the centerline of visual mass---not the airway that runs through it (though they sometimes coincide). It's a bit more work (when they don't coincide, anyway), but something that immediately says "amateur" when overlooked.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I would suggest you drill at a different angle and face the shank at a different angle. I'll draw up my suggestion later this evening to show you what I mean.

The shank length is mostly immaterial. You can make either choice look good.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I will drill my mortise square with the shank, no worries there. I do plan on drilling the airway up (for lack of a better description) so I can safely take enough off the bottom of the bowl. That line is just a rough guide while I was laying it out. I will draw my real lines before I chuck it up. Normally I do that before I cut the block, but I couldn't decide on the shank length.

Thanks for the guidance....i'm gonna shoot for somewhere in the middle of the two lines.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Tyler wrote:I would suggest you drill at a different angle and face the shank at a different angle. I'll draw up my suggestion later this evening to show you what I mean.

The shank length is mostly immaterial. You can make either choice look good.

This.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

scotties22 wrote:I will drill my mortise square with the shank, no worries there. I do plan on drilling the airway up (for lack of a better description) so I can safely take enough off the bottom of the bowl. That line is just a rough guide while I was laying it out. I will draw my real lines before I chuck it up. Normally I do that before I cut the block, but I couldn't decide on the shank length.

Thanks for the guidance....i'm gonna shoot for somewhere in the middle of the two lines.
When I said drill at a different angle, I meant the chamber.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Gotcha.....would you cant it forward?
www.ladybriar.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

scotties22 wrote:Gotcha.....would you cant it forward?

Yes. But you already drew the bowl canted forward, so you can leave that the same.

A general rule of thumb is never drill at 90 degrees. Always cant a straight pipe.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Tyler wrote: A general rule of thumb is never drill at 90 degrees. Always cant a straight pipe.
Abolutely. Few things look worse than a dead-square right angle bowl on a straight pipe. It's something that the human eyeball/brain assembly requires to be happy. (A similar one is that a photo matted to a white board requires the bottom border be wider than the others, or it looks narrower than the others. Go figure.)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Also, if you have more than about 8 cups of coffee in the morning you'll have to pee real bad by about 10.

Hope this helps.

Todd.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

And I'm just going to add an addendum, or corollary as it were, to Tyler's post.

What he's really saying is that because you've drilled the pipe completely straight at 90 degrees, it's a slightly bent pipe. :thumbsup:
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

Tyler wrote:

Yes. But you already drew the bowl canted forward, so you can leave that the same.

A general rule of thumb is never drill at 90 degrees. Always cant a straight pipe.
REALLY? who knew. is there any other reason to cant other than cosmetics?
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

wisemanpipes wrote:
Tyler wrote:

REALLY? who knew. is there any other reason to cant other than cosmetics?
You aren't allowed to know that till you've made 51 pipes.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

dang... looks like its out to the garage