Bulldog proportions....updated with progress pics

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
UncleDraken

Re: Bulldog proportions

Post by UncleDraken »

scotties22 wrote:Gotcha.....would you cant it forward?
Tyler wrote:A general rule of thumb is never drill at 90 degrees. Always cant a straight pipe.
LatakiaLover wrote:
Abolutely. Few things look worse than a dead-square right angle bowl on a straight pipe. It's something that the human eyeball/brain assembly requires to be happy.
I would never have known that! I thought billiards, pokers etc. were always drilled straight :S
But then having a quick look to see a couple of examples of straight pipes I see this rule appears to be very much in use.

Jesse Jones' Billiard:

Tyler's Billiard:
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I would strongly advise you not to use my pipes as a good example of anything! :lol:

Especially when you juxtapose mine with Tylers! :oops: C'mon man, show some pity! :mrgreen:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Ha! I nearly didn't post that photo to my website because it looks in the photo like I cut the top of the bowl parallel with the shank. (I decided to post because I wanted to show it's relative size.) Not sure why the photo portrays it that way, but it most definitely is not shaped that way. That's brings up another thing to point out about the cant. Usually when you cant, say on a billiard or bulldog, the top of the bowl should be perpendicular to the chamber, not parallel with the shank. The top of the bowl should cant too, in other words.

In my defense: http://tylerlanepipes.com/portfolio/billiard
    e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Tyler wrote:
    scotties22 wrote:Gotcha.....would you cant it forward?

Yes. But you already drew the bowl canted forward, so you can leave that the same.

A general rule of thumb is never drill at 90 degrees. Always cant a straight pipe.
    Scottie,
    Based on your drawing, you are probably also going to need to drill at a different angle than you turn the bowl. If you don't, the bottom front of your chamber is going to be extremely thin - unless your chamber is 1/2" or something crazy. I can give you info if you need it - it's pretty simple though.
    UncleDraken

Post by UncleDraken »

Ocelot55 wrote:I would strongly advise you not to use my pipes as a good example of anything! :lol:

Especially when you juxtapose mine with Tylers! :oops: C'mon man, show some pity! :mrgreen:
    Hey - I had to do something to get you back for not winning that free Jesse Jones pipe :P

Just kidding. Take it as a compliment. I didn't mean to cause trouble with yourself and Tyler! I'm just a pipe making virgin trynna take notes from the best (or at least the very much more experienced if Jesse insists on not placing himself in that category, who am I to judge?).

I'm still trynna wrap my head around the whole "always cant a straight pipe" idea. I guess I just need a lot more time and practice to 'get my eye in' when examining shapes. I always thought billiards were straight, 90 degree angles. And that statement will be hugely embarrassing when dredged up in a few years and I'm a few dozen pipes in!
    Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
    wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

UncleDraken wrote:
    Ocelot55 wrote:I would strongly advise you not to use my pipes as a good example of anything! :lol:

Hey - I had to do something to get you back for not winning that free Jesse Jones pipe :P

Just kidding. Take it as a compliment. I didn't mean to cause trouble with yourself and Tyler! I'm just a pipe making virgin trynna take notes from the best (or at least the very much more experienced if Jesse insists on not placing himself in that category, who am I to judge?).

I'm still trynna wrap my head around the whole "always cant a straight pipe" idea. I guess I just need a lot more time and practice to 'get my eye in' when examining shapes. I always thought billiards were straight, 90 degree angles. And that statement will be hugely embarrassing when dredged up in a few years and I'm a few dozen pipes in!
    i totally agree, i had no idea. i always thought they where 90 degrees. guess THATS the reason all my pipes look like shit...
    -evan
    scotties22

Re: Bulldog proportions....updated with progress pics

Post by scotties22 »

Soooo....the stummel is done. I made the stem longer than I probably should have but I like the way it looks. Again, waiting to finish the stem up until I go see George. After I get it all squared away I'll post better pics in the gallery.

I'm gonna find another way to mask off my stamp area before I blast....this just isn't working for me.
    Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
    www.ladybriar.com
    Sasquatch

Re: Bulldog proportions....updated with progress pics

Post by Sasquatch »

That stem's 3/4" too long I reckon.
    ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!