More fuel for the Delrin vs. integral tenon debate

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

Re: More fuel for the Delrin vs. integral tenon debate

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ocelot55 wrote:I like delrin. Feels great, allows for very smooth removal of the stem. On some of my integral tenons I'm always worried about cracking the shank by removing the stem. If you happen to drop the pipe, delrin won't snap off like an integral tenon will either. Its very easy to use and you never have to worry about fit. Ultimately it doesn't matter what the tenon is made out of, rather than how well it's made.
Lemme try again. The pros and cons of the two tenon types have already been discussed elsewhere at great length. That isn't what I'm getting at, here.

It is the increasingly-heard matter of opinion/perception that a pipe's tenon type is an indicator of the overall quality of the rest of the pipe.

I thought it was just more OCD collector silliness until I started paying attention to what crossed my bench, and was surprised to find that there is---statistically speaking---something to it.

My speculation is that Delrin lowered the biggest technical barrier-to-entry in pipemaking, and this is the result. Maybe I'm right, and maybe I'm not. I thought you guys might want to kick the subject around a bit, because it does (apparently) have some effect on how your shop's output is perceived.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sam a

Post by sam a »

LatakiaLover wrote: My speculation is that Delrin lowered the biggest technical barrier-to-entry in pipemaking, and this is the result.
seems plausible. i know for myself, prior to getting a lathe, using delrin for tenons was the only way i was able to make hand cut stems. at that point i still had alot to learn, and my pipes showed that. since then my skill and equipment have improved and i am able to make integral tenons (although i often choose to use delrin). makes sense to me.

# of inexperienced pipemakers using delrin > # of inexperienced pipemakers making integral tenons.

no way of saying for sure, but that certainly doesn't sound crazy to me.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

LatakiaLover wrote:I thought it was just more OCD collector silliness until I started paying attention to what crossed my bench, and was surprised to find that there is---statistically speaking---something to it.
Can you be more specific? What are you seeing come across your bench? Most of the pipes on my rack using delrin are factory pipes. I own a couple of artisan pipes that incorporate delrin, and all of them are crafted superbly. You seem to be implying that you're seeing a lot of artisan pipes with bad delrin tenons. (In this instance I use the word artisan to designate one man operations rather than a word describing quality)

Come to think of it, in all my years around pipes and pipe repairs (granted much less than yourself, but I'd still say substantial) all the tenon trouble I have seen has been with integral tenons and those damn aluminum stinger tenons. The only trouble delrin has given me is when the tenon comes out of the stem. No biggie. Epoxie it back in and ream out the draft hole viola!
ajpl

Post by ajpl »

I'm new around here, but it seems like you guys could settle this really easily by finding out how Ernie makes his tenons.
Drew
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice."
the rev

Post by the rev »

ajpl wrote:I'm new around here, but it seems like you guys could settle this really easily by finding out how Ernie makes his tenons.
and then suggest people do the opposite

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
ajpl

Post by ajpl »

the rev wrote:
ajpl wrote:I'm new around here, but it seems like you guys could settle this really easily by finding out how Ernie makes his tenons.

rev
Exactly. :D
Drew
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice."
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Smart man!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

ajpl wrote:
the rev wrote:

rev
Exactly. :D
...strike that...

:)