Unfinished, want critique first

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Gershom

Unfinished, want critique first

Post by Gershom »

Okee dokee. Send all comments my way! Thanks in advance.

:D
Literaryworkshop

Re: Unfinished, want critique first

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I like the grain orientation, and the top of the bowl is pretty cool looking.

About how long is it? To my eye, the stummel looks really thick, relative to the bowl. But if the pipe is as small as I think it is, then it's probably okay. I think my monitor may be making the pipe look a lot bigger than it really is.
- Steve S.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

More can come off the transition between bowl and shank. Keep the shank cylindrical till it hits the bowl, which is also cylindrical (until it falls away at the cheeks).
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Sas, so the bowl gives way to the shank? I've found it hard to hit this transition dead on.

This one is for a friend. He is trading me 40 bottles of home brewed beer.

Jon
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The shank appears to sort of widen out as it gets closer to the bowl, and it shouldn't do - the picture from the bottom shows this clearest, and the last picture shows that it isn't staying round as it nears the bowl, seems to be squaring up a bit. A small round rasp is really nice for taking that out, and a larger flat rasp will also quickly show you where things are running out.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Thank you, my hairy master. :notworthy:
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Gershom wrote:
This one is for a friend. He is trading me 40 bottles of home brewed beer.

Jon
40 bottles!?! Yeah, you'd better get this one looking right. :lol:
- Steve S.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

One batch costs him about 30 bucks, and I put about 30 bucks of materials into a pipe, so we called it an even trade. Of course, his yields 5 gallons of alcoholic beverage. We're both happy about it. :mrgreen:
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

If he is using 12 ounze bottles you will be getting over 50 bottles of beer. I usually get 56 bottles out of a 5 gallon batch......just sayin', your boy might be planning on keeping a case for himself to drink while he smokes his new pipe :lol:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Wow, I got a response from Scottie? Damn.

Yeah, I don't mind him keeping some, the pipe was pretty simple, and a little fat, so we're even.

Scottie, how are you feeling? I think I heard you are cookin one in the oven.

You should definitely put some pictures up when the little one comes along.

Jon
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Jon, I do try to be selective in who I harass.....this week it's gonna be you. I hope you're ready.

Yup, I do have a bun in the oven. Just right at a month left till my due date. Doing great and no bed rest or restrictions in the immediate future :D . Between now and then it's all hands on deck trying to get pipes done for the KC show.
www.ladybriar.com
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Made one for the little one coming soon? They make for some great photo shoots.

Oh, and I'm ready alright. I married a harasser, and we have already had 2 little kids too. So, bring it on. Just be prepared for my overly complementary nature. You might not be able to handle this.

Glad to hear all is well so far for your pregnancy. Are you doing hospital, midwife, birth center, or home birth? Or, are you taking the path that Sas's mom did by birthing over a live volcano? Will the Rev be there to sprinkle the little one once he/she proceedeth from thine loineths?

In all seriousness, may you be blessed with a healthy, happy, and hemorrhoid free birth.

Jonathan
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I'm actually making a pipe for me right now....guess i can let all the kids take turns getting their picture taken with it.

I'll be going to the hospital. In case something does go wrong I want to be where to doctors and the OR are. I had to have an emergency C-section with our first and if I would have been anywhere other than the hospital one of us would have died. I have a great doctor that I trust with my life and try to keep in mind that everything else is out of my control.

Oh, and it's a girl. We are going to name her Josephine and call her Jo for short.

So, we have our daughter Dillan (3), our son Shane (19 months) and Josephine on the way. Got us a houseful, for sure.

Thanks for the well wishes. And I will post some pics after she comes along (some time within the next month).
www.ladybriar.com
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Take note guys, Scottie softens up with some compliments and personal questions. :D

Wow, you ARE crazy. 3 in less than 4 years...

I have Opal, who is 2.5, and Grant, who is going on 11 months, but none on the way (that I know of) ;).

I bought both kids those little corn cob pipes and it was so cute.

My wife has done both births at a birth center with no, and I repeat, NO medicine whatsoever. She is a birthing machine.

Glad to hear you didn't die. Complications are best handled by a hospital. I am thankful we haven't had any yet.

Jonathan