Pipe #3 - olivewood apple

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jthompson1995

Pipe #3 - olivewood apple

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Here is my latest:

Olive wood apple
5 3/4" overall, 1 1/2" dia. bowl, 7/8" dia. chamber
1 7/8" tall bowl, 1 1/2" deep chamber
Hand cut acrylic stem, unknown wood stem ring.

I blew through the top of the stem when widening the airway but was able to cut 3/4" off and remake the button. I know I could have made a new stem but this one was already fit to the shanks pretty good. Next time I'll make the stem ring narrower.

I tried to focus on tightening up the shank/ bowl junction and defining the cheeks better. Not perfect but I think it came out pretty good. The dark stain on the front of the bowl I think is from the wax that was on the block of olive when I got it. It's kind of a shame as the figure is nice on this piece. Not sure if I can try to sell it like that.

Comments & critiques appreciated.

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
Literaryworkshop

Re: Pipe #3 - olivewood apple

Post by Literaryworkshop »

That is gorgeous figure, and I think the shape worked out well. The ring wood looks a lot like purpleheart to me. If so, it will eventually fade to a dullish yellow, which will work pretty well with the olive as it darkens.
- Steve S.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I say keep it and smoke it!

I think you did a lot really well on this pipe- good job man!

One thought is the accent ring- a good rule of thumb is make them thinner than they are tall. As is, it feels a bit clunky- I almost think this particular piece would benefit from no ring- or maybe just a super thin black ring to separate stem from stummel. As is, the design feels too busy on the color scheme.

However, good work overall, keep it up!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I assume you were making up length with the ring? I too, would keep it and smoke to watch the color changes.
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Literaryworkshop wrote:The ring wood looks a lot like purpleheart to me.
It's not Purple Heart for sure. I got it in a big box of cutoffs. Really neat grain to it but I don't think pipes are the best way to show it off.

Yeti, thanks for the advice. I agree it's too busy and the ring is way too wide. I'm still trying some things out to see how they work. I guess I'm trying too much to apply designs from making pens to making pipes. Pens are smaller and so can handle the intricate patterns/textures better. They just don't translate we'll into a pipe.
pipedreamer wrote:I assume you were making up length with the ring? I too, would keep it and smoke to watch the color changes.
No, the ring was there before I had to shorten the stem. Next time I'll skip the ring, just trying some things out and get some of the engineering figured out. I just found black ebonite too stark against the olive wood but he acrylic needed something between it and he wood as well. Apparently that ring was not quite right.
-Walter Blodget
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

The Smoking Yeti wrote: One thought is the accent ring- a good rule of thumb is make them thinner than they are tall. As is, it feels a bit clunky- I almost think this particular piece would benefit from no ring- or maybe just a super thin black ring to separate stem from stummel. As is, the design feels too busy on the color scheme.
I agree with the Yeti. There's a bit too much going on for the accent.

I think you've done a good job on the shaping, and that's the heart of the issue. Are you using a metal lathe? The side profiles as seen from the front are a touch off, but if you're free-handing it, that's understandable.
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

e Markle wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote: One thought is the accent ring- a good rule of thumb is make them thinner than they are tall. As is, it feels a bit clunky- I almost think this particular piece would benefit from no ring- or maybe just a super thin black ring to separate stem from stummel. As is, the design feels too busy on the color scheme.
I agree with the Yeti. There's a bit too much going on for the accent.

I think you've done a good job on the shaping, and that's the heart of the issue. Are you using a metal lathe? The side profiles as seen from the front are a touch off, but if you're free-handing it, that's understandable.
I am drilling and turning as much as possible on my wood lathe. I put this block too deep into the chuck and could only turn the top 1/3 of the stummel without hitting the jaws. I'll remember to think about that on future pipes.
-Walter Blodget
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Very pretty.
Best regards.
Félix

Muy bonita.
Saludos.
Félix