My First Attempt

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RDPowell

My First Attempt

Post by RDPowell »

Okay, I finally got the guts up to show you my very first pipe. I Know there's a lot wrong with it starting with but, not limited to sanding better and with higher grit. I know this, yet I forgot to, too much of a hurry I reckon. Getting lines straight and planning better, also lack of knowledge as to what the hell I was doing. :banghead: That's your cue Sas, LOL!
This started as a predrilled kit that I had planed to do a very unconventional pipe with but, somewhere along the way the design and my unskilled hand failed, so this is what it became. A freehand Rhodesian of sorts. The blue was inspired by a Kappeler pipe I couldn't afford. Anyway, here's what I started with and then what I ended up with. BTW, It smokes grand. The only problem is I wish I had used a shorter stem. I might still rectify that later. So let me have it, I'm braced.

Wow, 21 views and no replies! Hey, I know it's not great but, if you all could just stop laughing long enough to give me some criticism I'd appreciate it. :wink:
Last edited by RDPowell on Tue May 28, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
rdpipes.briar.club
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Re: My First Attempt

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

not A bad first pipe. better than a lot of firsts I have seen. I love how the stem turned from red to purple when you bent it! I think the pipe would be better off with A more traditional stain choice, but it is A good first effort.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's a lot more difficult to criticize a freehand than a more "set" shape. Lots of the same ideas apply though. So, what I see here is a pipe that is full of ideas, as most early pipes are, but that doesn't bring any one of those ideas across successfully. Design-wise, it's a hodgepodge of angles, curves, and proportions.

You're right - the stem is too long. It's also too curved. You curved it nicely, that's a decent smooth bend but it arches itself right out of the aesthetics of the rest of the pipe.

The shank is too heavy for the bowl and probably, probably is "pinched" in the wrong spot - it is sort of flaring out again before it hits the bowl. This is an uncomfortable mix of straight and curved for me, with the bottom side sort of presenting a hawkbill idea and the top running basically straight.

Because of the size and shape of the shank it connects with the bowl right at the midline, and that creates a very heavy look there. The bowl is a nice enough shape, but it's more delicate and needs to really be separated and carried by delicate shank to work. I like the hint of plateau you left - it relaxes the shape and compliments some of the rest of the ideas in the pipe. Also leaves the bowl looking very light and delicate, now you just have to carry that idea to the rest of the pipe.

A good effort, and lots of effort, and starting with a block drilled like this, it's hard to do better. Cutting your own stem and drilling your own block with a more concrete idea of shape in mind would help a bunch.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

fuchi_jeg wrote:not A bad first pipe. better than a lot of firsts I have seen. I love how the stem turned from red to purple when you bent it! I think the pipe would be better off with A more traditional stain choice, but it is A good first effort.
Red to Purple? I admit I'm colorblind but, I ordered a Black Blue stem from PME and I thought that's what I got.
I understand your humor but, not the Purple part. And thank you sir.
rdpipes.briar.club
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Sasquatch wrote:It's a lot more difficult to criticize a freehand than a more "set" shape. Lots of the same ideas apply though. So, what I see here is a pipe that is full of ideas, as most early pipes are, but that doesn't bring any one of those ideas across successfully. Design-wise, it's a hodgepodge of angles, curves, and proportions.

You're right - the stem is too long. It's also too curved. You curved it nicely, that's a decent smooth bend but it arches itself right out of the aesthetics of the rest of the pipe.

The shank is too heavy for the bowl and probably, probably is "pinched" in the wrong spot - it is sort of flaring out again before it hits the bowl. This is an uncomfortable mix of straight and curved for me, with the bottom side sort of presenting a hawkbill idea and the top running basically straight.

Because of the size and shape of the shank it connects with the bowl right at the midline, and that creates a very heavy look there. The bowl is a nice enough shape, but it's more delicate and needs to really be separated and carried by delicate shank to work. I like the hint of plateau you left - it relaxes the shape and compliments some of the rest of the ideas in the pipe. Also leaves the bowl looking very light and delicate, now you just have to carry that idea to the rest of the pipe.

A good effort, and lots of effort, and starting with a block drilled like this, it's hard to do better. Cutting your own stem and drilling your own block with a more concrete idea of shape in mind would help a bunch.
Thank you for your input Sas and I can see exactly what your saying except the curve on the stem, I like it (as if that should mean anything).
But, as I get more educated as to how form and shape should be I may just change my mind. With a shorter stem I do agree the same bend would be drastically wrong for it. Thank you for your input and I will try to put it to use on my next one. Unsure if I should even try to improve on this one because I'm afraid of making it worse then it is but, I might. My next one I would like to TRY and make a large bent Bulldog, we'll see.
I'm not much for conventional shapes, billiards, pots, pokers, and the like, just seem boring so I lean towards the shapelier and unusual shapes.
Oh, and drill my own block and cut my own stem, you have more faith in me then I do sir. I think we'll stick with predrilled and preformed until I get comfortable with just carving the dang thing. :banghead:
rdpipes.briar.club
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I really like the concept. One other thing I would change (and this is a kit thing) is that I'd counter-bore the mortise for the stem so the tenon doesn't show. I think you did well using the knobby plateaux on both the top of the bowl and the stummel.

Make a few more and see what you come up with.
- Steve S.
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Literaryworkshop wrote:I really like the concept. One other thing I would change (and this is a kit thing) is that I'd counter-bore the mortise for the stem so the tenon doesn't show. I think you did well using the knobby plateaux on both the top of the bowl and the stummel.

Make a few more and see what you come up with.
Thank you sir and I to didn't really like the looks of the tenon showing and later on sanded it down even with the stem so there is no transition to see.
rdpipes.briar.club
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

Don't sweat the lack of replies. A lot of guys look but not everyone has something to say. For instance, I've only built 1 ugly pipe. A critique from me would be at best useless and at worst set you back if you tried to use it. I'm not qualified to give a meaningful critique. I'd rather have 1 meaningful reply like Sasquatch's than a dozen well intended "I like it" replies that are nice to see but not useful. If you haven't yet, visit Sasquatch's website. He makes and sells some really nice pipes. For the professionals like him to take the time to give a detailed response to new pipe makers says something pretty good about the people on this site.

Highlights on the stem look roughly this shade of purple in the picture to me too. It may just be a function of camera and computer screen and actually be a blue-black in person.

Your pipe is a lot nicer than my first pipe and possibly my second when I finish it as well.
Boring your own holes isn't as difficult as it may seem. With a couple layout lines,some patience and careful measuring you can do it. Even if the holes aren't perfect the pipe will still smoke well enough. The holes need to be pretty far out of whack for the pipe to not function. Drilling your own blocks will open up a lot more design possibilities.

My two cents,
Rodney
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

Thank you sir and I understand. My comment was mostly just my poor humor. As far as the color of the stem goes
I have no way of telling, I'm colorblind. Reckon I ought just stick to brown pipes. :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club