Is This Ruined?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Literaryworkshop

Is This Ruined?

Post by Literaryworkshop »

A small drilling mistake in this briar block:

I don't know if it's clear from the photo, but the airway doesn't meet the center of the chamber. It's off to one side by maybe 1/8". I can't imagine it could be fixed, but will this pipe smoke okay? Or do I have my first piece of briar firewood?
- Steve S.
RadDavis

Re: Is This Ruined?

Post by RadDavis »

As long as the hole is on the bottom it will smoke just fine.

Rad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Do you happen to have any spoon bits?
Literaryworkshop

It is right at the bottom of the hole, which I scooped out with one of the Pimo bits. I wish I had some spoon bits, but not yet.

I'm still looking for somebody who makes a 3/4" spoon bit, which would be equally useful in making tobacco pipes and Windsor chairs. You could use those two items at the same time, too, come to think of it.
- Steve S.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Literaryworkshop wrote:It is right at the bottom of the hole, which I scooped out with one of the Pimo bits. I wish I had some spoon bits, but not yet.

I'm still looking for somebody who makes a 3/4" spoon bit, which would be equally useful in making tobacco pipes and Windsor chairs. You could use those two items at the same time, too, come to think of it.

Actually, the spoon bits to which Ernie refers and the spoon bits for chairs are two different things. For pipe making, no where can you buy the right ones off the shelf. Every now and again some will be made available by a kind pipe maker who has several sets machined in order to sell a few. Currently, your best bet is: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=8602
Literaryworkshop

Ah, I learn something new every time I log in here! :oops:

Google Images cleared it all up for me. Still, I'll bet an oversized chairmaker's spoon bit would bore a nice chamber in briar if you could do it accurately enough.
- Steve S.
andrew

Post by andrew »

The chair makers spoon bits will work. They're just slow and can't be used in anything but a brace. They can be had in 3/4", but the only place I know of that sells that diameter is a place out of Japan. Plus, the tip was round, kinda restricts your shape styles.
Literaryworkshop

Oh, I've got some braces. :lol:

I'm kind of a hand tool nut, really.

I've even used my Pimo bits in a brace to finish off a chamber I started with a Forsner bit on the drill press. A sharp bit worked okay in an ebuchon block, but not so great in a plateaux block. Probably has something to do with grain direction.

Anyhow, my limited experience with chairmaker's spoon bits suggests they wouldn't be all that slow. But after all, when you're getting down close to the airway, it's nice to be able to go slowly so you don't overshoot the airway. Maybe one day I'll look into it, but not now. Too many other things about pipe making to figure out first.
- Steve S.
leafdobson

Post by leafdobson »

drill a larger hole centered on were the airway came out. as long as the wall doesn't get too thin.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

leafdobson wrote:drill a larger hole centered on were the airway came out. as long as the wall doesn't get too thin.
That would work, but I'm not sure how one would go about it and come out with a round hole.

Rad
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

Steve S,
That's some nice looking paneling in your shop and a nice set of braces you have. Do you have any more pics of your shop?
Rodney-another hand tool nut.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

LW just leave it as is and smoke it. it will smoke fine like rad said. if you were trying to bore it to a larger dimension, youd need a big bit to keep it somewhat round and its not worth it, it will probably screw something up. most of my shop pipes look like that at the bottom and I have no complaints
Literaryworkshop

Well, it's drilled with my biggest bit (7/8") or I would probably try to re-drill the chamber. I know exactly how it might be done--carefully.

Anyhow, my "shop" is a workbench, a tool chest, and a couple tool racks on one side of a family/dining room in my house. It's lovely. And climate controlled. The paneling is original '50s vintage.

The natural light is wonderful. My wife can come work beside me if she likes. She does a bit of woodworking now and then, too.

My kids can run around and distract me whenever they like.

But sometimes they like to help out.

My drill press and band saw are in an attached shed, but most of my work is done by hand at that bench.
- Steve S.
jjpipes
Site Supporter

Post by jjpipes »

They're adorable kids,
I think it's great, that you can spend time with your kids and work too.
how old are they?
Artisans never finish their work – they merely abandon it.
Ideally, they abandon it at that point, where they are not sure if change, will improve or diminish it.
(Paraphrase from an unremembered source).

Steve / jjpipes
Literaryworkshop

In that picture, they're 5, 3, and 1 1/2. All daddy's girls.
- Steve S.
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

Thanks for the shop tour. You have a very nice workspace and it's good your whole family takes an interest. My wife will barely set foot in my shop but my 9 year old daughter is starting to crowd me out of it. One of our long term projects has been to build a decent set of tools of her own.
Rodney
Charl

Post by Charl »

Hmm! If only I can find a way of keeping my little one busy in the shop.. Been thinking of giving her a hammer and couple of nails, but then there'll be murder in the house. First off when the little one hits her fingers and then when my wife gets to hear of it.