Empty your dust collector!

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
sethile

Empty your dust collector!

Post by sethile »

This tip courtesy of Rad Davis, who mentioned he let his go too far... If you wait until you can see stuff in the little window there is no way you're going to be able to lift the bag to empty it! While pipe making we make mostly very fine sanding dust, which is really dense once it collects for a while. This is much different than saw dust or planer shavings, which these things are designed for. So, I finally got around to emptying my dust collector this morning. It only had about a foot of accumulation in the bottom of the bag, but I was barley able to lift it! Must have weighed close to 100 lbs!

On a related note, I finally got around to buying a fire extinguisher for the shop, also due to a cautionary tale from Rad. Turns out he's not only a fantastic pipe maker, but he also learns from a few mistakes made along the way, and is willing to pass that hard earned knowledge along to the rest of us. Thanks, Rad, I owe you a beer, if not something older and stronger ;)
Last edited by sethile on Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
andrew

Re: Empty your dust collector!

Post by andrew »

Thanks for the reminder. I need a fire extinguisher too.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I look forward to seeing you in Chicago, Scott! :wink:

Rad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Thanks for the reminder, Scott. I've never emptied mine. I think I might be in trouble. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

This would probably be a good point to ask how Rad got it emptied. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'm asking for a friend of course.
Wayne Teipen
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

wdteipen wrote:This would probably be a good point to ask how Rad got it emptied. :lol:
I emptied mine once when it was almost full. :lol:

First, you wrestle the bottom bag off the collector onto the floor. Take a 50 gallon black plastic yard bag and slide it over the top of your dust collector bag as far as it will go. Then put a 50 gallon trash can over this whole mess and then tip them over. Get someone to help you turn the can upright (trust me, you can't do it by yourself) and use a sturdy hand truck to cart it to the street. Don't hurt yourself.

If you're lucky, you'll only get about 5 gallons of suspended particulate into the air in your shop. If your unit has wheels, you might want to disconnect it and take it outside to do this. Your neighbors may laugh at you though. :P

Rad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The good news is that my dust collector has wheels AND I don't have neighbors so I can generally look as silly as I want. Thanks.
Wayne Teipen
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I empty mine regulalrly, I find the efficiency really takes a hit the more dust is in it, I think it gets stirred up and blocks the filter. Of course it is helped a great deal now by having the cyclone separator in line too.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

caskwith wrote:I empty mine regulalrly, I find the efficiency really takes a hit the more dust is in it, I think it gets stirred up and blocks the filter. Of course it is helped a great deal now by having the cyclone separator in line too.
Oh shut up.

Rad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Most experienced shop guys already know it, but since beginners read this board too, it's worth repeating that you should

NEVER

...connect a metal bench grinder or similar to a dust collection system. No machine that produces significant sparking and a shower of hot bits.

Stem material curls and shavings are damn near as inflammable as gasoline, and having a canister full of them torch off is a great way to burn your house down.
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

LatakiaLover wrote:Most experienced shop guys already know it, but since beginners read this board too, it's worth repeating that you should

NEVER

...connect a metal bench grinder or similar to a dust collection system. No machine that produces significant sparking and a shower of hot bits.

Stem material curls and shavings ares damn near as inflammable as gasoline, and having a canister full of them torch off is a great way to burn your house down.
On the other hand, smoldering briar dust is kinda' pretty to watch...

Just sayin' :D
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

RadDavis wrote:
caskwith wrote:I empty mine regulalrly, I find the efficiency really takes a hit the more dust is in it, I think it gets stirred up and blocks the filter. Of course it is helped a great deal now by having the cyclone separator in line too.
Oh shut up.

Rad

Duly noted. :)