Dust Collection Vs. Dust Expulsion

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Growley

Dust Collection Vs. Dust Expulsion

Post by Growley »

There are a lot of conversations about dust collection, but I don't recall seeing one about dust expulsion I figured I'd start one.

Baseball cards are great collectibles and coins are nice, but who wants to collect dust??? You just throw it away anyway. :D I practice dust expulsion. It's a highly technical setup that requires an open garage door and a high powered fan. I started this practice when I first got up and running because I didn't have the money for a dust collector. I mounted my shaping wheel on a movable cart, so when I'm shaping, sanding or buffing, I move it out to the edge of the garage (where the light is nice) and blow all the dust into the driveway. I use THIS FAN because of it's very direct output and the additional outlets it offers. As a southerner, who doesn't have an air conditioned shop, the fan is also just an obvious choice.

Obviously this won't work for everybody, but I thought I'd mention it for those who have similar set-ups and haven't thought of it.

...when I get a real shop that's a closed environment, I'll definitely invest in a dust collector.
billiard

Re: Dust Collection Vs. Dust Expulsion

Post by billiard »

Growley wrote:There are a lot of conversations about dust collection, but I don't recall seeing one about dust expulsion I figured I'd start one.

Baseball cards are great collectibles and coins are nice, but who wants to collect dust??? You just throw it away anyway. :D I practice dust expulsion. It's a highly technical setup that requires an open garage door and a high powered fan. I started this practice when I first got up and running because I didn't have the money for a dust collector. I mounted my shaping wheel on a movable cart, so when I'm shaping, sanding or buffing, I move it out to the edge of the garage (where the light is nice) and blow all the dust into the driveway. I use THIS FAN because of it's very direct output and the additional outlets it offers. As a southerner, who doesn't have an air conditioned shop, the fan is also just an obvious choice.

Obviously this won't work for everybody, but I thought I'd mention it for those who have similar set-ups and haven't thought of it.

...when I get a real shop that's a closed environment, I'll definitely invest in a dust collector.
It's 31 degrees outside you jerk ;)
Growley

Post by Growley »

billiard wrote:
Growley wrote:There are a lot of conversations about dust collection, but I don't recall seeing one about dust expulsion I figured I'd start one.

LOL, we'll be in the 70's this week. ...but don't get me wrong, I sweat my tail off in the summer...and spring, and fall. This here is prime pipe making weather for me.
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

I actually do both. My cyclone is set up to vent to the outside. I create less dust in a year than the farmer across the road does in a day when he is plowing, and my closest neighbor down wind is over 200 yds away and on the other side of trees. Big shavings and such go into a bucket. The only down side is, sometimes my truck is coated with whatever I am sanding. I've got radiant heat in the shop, so even on cold days the air exchange is not a huge issue.

I use a window fan setup like you describe for spraying finishes. As long as the fan goes on before I start spraying, there are no concerns about fire, explosions, etc. 8)
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I do the Growley method also, works great, except when the temp. Plunges down past 68 degrees.Then I have to use my dust collector.Fla. is a good place for pipe carving.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

My shop space is tiny, like 8'x6'. So I make due with a barrel fan pointing out the door, set up right next to the lathe, as I use it for nearly everything including mounting a sanding disk to it. Someday I'll have a real shop!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

billiard wrote:
Growley wrote: :D I practice dust expulsion. It's a highly technical setup that requires an open garage door and a high powered fan.
It's 85 degrees outside you jerk! :lol:
billiard

Post by billiard »

WCannoy wrote:
billiard wrote:
Growley wrote: :D I practice dust expulsion. It's a highly technical setup that requires an open garage door and a high powered fan.
It's 85 degrees outside you jerk! :lol:
I sure wish it was that warm here. Went out to my shop to try to sneak in a couple hours last night and it was 29 degrees in there. I was wondering why I was getting chatter on my lathe and then I realized it was just me... so I went back in the house ;)
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

billiard wrote: I was wondering why I was getting chatter on my lathe and then I realized it was just me...
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

This post makes me sick. You guys are whining about 29 degrees?! I will remind you that Montana was recently the coldest place on earth with -51 wind chill. My shop hit a solid -20, and I sanded right on through it! Yessir I did!

Grump.

Yeti
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The Smoking Yeti wrote: My shop hit a solid -20, and I sanded right on through it...
...to the airway. 8)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

I have my shop sealed up pretty good in the winter. I have a gas well and have an old school (early 1900's) natural gas heater that gets the frost and some humidity out of the air, then I have an electric space heater ill add to it if it gets into the teens or lower. The only thing I have in the wintertime for dust collection is a shopvac and some modified collectors that I can use with my sanders, saw, and lathe. It works ok, but I still get some air born dust. In the summertime it's a wide open with fans to direct the stuff out and the shopvac.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
Alden

Post by Alden »

LatakiaLover wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote: My shop hit a solid -20, and I sanded right on through it...
...to the airway. 8)
Nice. :thumbsup:
billiard

Post by billiard »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:This post makes me sick. You guys are whining about 29 degrees?! I will remind you that Montana was recently the coldest place on earth with -51 wind chill. My shop hit a solid -20, and I sanded right on through it! Yessir I did!

Grump.

Yeti
yeah, I'm a wimp about it...

It's been in the 20's here and I have been digging a trench through frozen solid, pea gravel. I've got 90' to dig, 18" deep. I get all sorts of pretty sparks off the pick axe when it hits the frozen rocks... but I've learned if I hit it just as hard as I can that I can knock off about a 1/4" at a time... Digging the tunnel under the side walks was the best part. Yeah I know, a summer project, but I have even less free time then ;)
Growley

Post by Growley »

billiard wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:This post makes me sick. You guys are whining about 29 degrees?! I will remind you that Montana was recently the coldest place on earth with -51 wind chill. My shop hit a solid -20, and I sanded right on through it! Yessir I did!

Grump.

Yeti

It's been in the 20's here and I have been digging a trench through frozen solid, pea gravel. I've got 90' to dig, 18" deep. I get all sorts of pretty sparks off the pick axe when it hits the frozen rocks... but I've learned if I hit it just as hard as I can that I can knock off about a 1/4" at a time... Digging the tunnel under the side walks was the best part. Yeah I know, a summer project, but I have even less free time then ;)
That sounds like fun :filth-n-foul: I had to dig irrigation trenches in frozen clay in Colorado a long while back, and eventually resorted to renting a ditch witch, that still struggled to do the job. I don't envy you, but I wish you the best!
Alden

Post by Alden »

billiard wrote:

Grump.

Yeti

Bill I did the same thing when I ran electric to my shop, except I did it as a summer project in Texas. Was 108 degrees the whole week and we are in heavy black clay. Every clump that came out of the ground had to be scraped off with a second shovel. I had about 60 feet to dig, thats a butt kicking job right there. My electrician was impressed with the quality of my trench, he offered me some side work digging them at his jobsites. I told him in the politest way possible to go f himself :lol:
billiard

Post by billiard »

Growley wrote:That sounds like fun :filth-n-foul: I had to dig irrigation trenches in frozen clay in Colorado a long while back, and eventually resorted to renting a ditch witch, that still struggled to do the job. I don't envy you, but I wish you the best!
Alden wrote: Bill I did the same thing when I ran electric to my shop, except I did it as a summer project in Texas. Was 108 degrees the whole week and we are in heavy black clay. Every clump that came out of the ground had to be scraped off with a second shovel. I had about 60 feet to dig, thats a butt kicking job right there. My electrician was impressed with the quality of my trench, he offered me some side work digging them at his jobsites. I told him in the politest way possible to go f himself :lol:
I'm about 3/4 of the way done but it's suppose to warm up and rain tomorrow and Friday night. So I will finish it up on Friday night in the rain and mud.. that might not sound like fun, but it will be Friday night, so I'll be drinking and won't give a rat's azz :) This and next weekend equal shop upgrades, then hopefully back to pipe making :)