need some help sourcing materials

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
wisemanpipes

need some help sourcing materials

Post by wisemanpipes »

okay, so I need help from you guys. ive been trying to source and find a decent supplier of both cow or oxen horn tips, as well as some bakelite/catalin in decent sizes, that aren't stupid expensive. ebay is so overpriced and annoying.

ive looked at American arts plastics but really would like vintage stock in straight colours, not mottled and swirled

if anyone has a good source and doesn't mind sharing I would appreciate it.

thanks guys

Evan
PremalChheda

Re: need some help sourcing materials

Post by PremalChheda »

wisemanpipes wrote:okay, so I need help from you guys. ive been trying to source and find a decent supplier of both cow or oxen horn tips, as well as some bakelite/catalin in decent sizes, that aren't stupid expensive. ebay is so overpriced and annoying.

ive looked at American arts plastics but really would like vintage stock in straight colours, not mottled and swirled

if anyone has a good source and doesn't mind sharing I would appreciate it.

thanks guys

Evan
Good luck. I think most people hold their supply dear due to the price and availability. I do not currently have a source.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

yeah I didn't think that a lot of people on here have a source for vintage bakelite or horn. and those that do, hold the source tight to their chest. thanks anyway Premal.

Evan
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

I get some of my horn from the local butcher shop... the last batch I got still had all the gunk up in the hollow part..

Lovely, I say
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

jogilli wrote:I get some of my horn from the local butcher shop... the last batch I got still had all the gunk up in the hollow part..

Lovely, I say
that is so cool and extremely creepy :shock:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Buffalo (American Bison) are once again raised as food animals throughout the northern Great Plains states. If I was still in North Dakota, I'm positive I could hook all of you guys up---I had a friend up there who raised several hundred head just outside town.

Nothing says you can't contact a meat processor in the region to see what becomes of the horns, though.

Here's one of many:

http://marmacfarms.com/bison.htm
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

How does bison horn compare with water buffalo horn color-wise?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I never got close enough to see shading, streaking, or anything like that. From a distance of a few dozen yards they just looked black.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:How does bison horn compare with water buffalo horn color-wise?
who cares.. its horn... white, brown, black, marbled... its horn.. and I love them all... got a several pieces of white horn given to me.. looks nice polished up ;-)

james
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I'm not sure how it works in the US, but as far as I know you cannot source horn from meat processing companies in Europe- by law the horns must be accounted for and passed on to companies that process them further into animal food, they grind them into powder together with bones I think, quite disgusting stuff...

More importantly, I would be very careful about putting "fresh" horn on pipes. IHorn should be given some time to dry properly, as it cracks very easily with changes in humidity. I would keep "fresh" horn for at least a year or two in my shop before using it on pipes...
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

keilwerth wrote:I'm not sure how it works in the US, but as far as I know you cannot source horn from meat processing companies in Europe- by law the horns must be accounted for and passed on to companies that process them further into animal food, they grind them into powder together with bones I think, quite disgusting stuff...

More importantly, I would be very careful about putting "fresh" horn on pipes. IHorn should be given some time to dry properly, as it cracks very easily with changes in humidity. I would keep "fresh" horn for at least a year or two in my shop before using it on pipes...

been drying for a year (so far) out side.. just need to boil them... local butchers can sale the horns.. not meat processing plants as you mentioned above... but Farmer Fritz and Aunt Matilda

James
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

jogilli wrote:
been drying for a year (so far) out side.. just need to boil them... local butchers can sale the horns.. not meat processing plants as you mentioned above... but Farmer Fritz and Aunt Matilda

James
I see. The smell when boiling must be simply wonderful :lol:
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

keilwerth wrote:
jogilli wrote:

James
I see. The smell when boiling must be simply wonderful :lol:
that's why they are outside.. the wife will not let me do it inside... the neighbors really love me though ;-)
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Why do you boil it out of interest?
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

yeah this is curious! boiling? :? as for getting the horn from a farm, It might not be such a great idea for me as id rather not have the stuff sit for a year.

hell, id even buy some horn off makers on PMF for a premium.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

get the stink out... and you can use the portions that aren't solid and flatten them out for end cap rings etc...

from Boonetrading

If the horn looks funky, dull and flakey, fear not. First soak it in soapy water overnight, which will soften it up nicely, then scrap off the flakey stuff with a knife. Then use a palm sander or wet/dry sandpaper 120 grit sand until smooth. Then jump to 240 grit paper till those scratches are gone, then finish with 400 paper or finer. You can then rub it out with 0000 steel wool for a pioneer finish or continue to rub compound and paste wax for a hand rubbed sheen. If you have a cotton buffing wheel (preferably clean, not a blacked one from using on metal) on an electric motor, you can get a glassy smooth finish using polishing compound (comes in a waxy bar or stick form) and can skip the rubbing compound and paste wax. From funky to thing of great beauty just like that!

Boiling a horn in water for a couple hours or soaking it in ammonia for a couple weeks will render it temporarily soft for bending or flattening. For more information search the web for “working with horn” and go to: www.personal.utulsa.edu/~Marc-Carlson/horn/horng.html

and follow the second link also.. I mean that poor little moooo cow gave me their horn, I might as well not waste too much of it

:-)
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Check this out for horn. Its straightened and turned round already.http://www.pennstateind.com/store/BHORN.html
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

thanks for the info James. and fuchi-im not looking for buffalo, i really want creamy/marbled cow horn, but thanks for the link.

evan