Better briar than normal

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
notow1

Better briar than normal

Post by notow1 »

Because I am still learning and cheap I order smaller briar blocks. Somehow a nice piece of small plateaux ended up in My order and I didn't know how to work it. I decided to try and work with the grain and shape first ( spooky for Me ). I would appreciate any suggestions on what I could and should have done better. Thanks for Your time, Norm.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
wisemanpipes

Re: Better briar than normal

Post by wisemanpipes »

FOCUS!!! :twisted:
notow1

Post by notow1 »

I know I'm not good at taking photos but I have improved and thought they were good enough for someone to view a pipe for critique. Maybe I misunderstood You and You were telling Me to focus on My pipe making. Thanks for the advice, Norm.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

I mean you need to learn to use your camera. it makes it that much harder to say anything about a pipe when you cant see it clearly.

-woods nice from what I can see, but thast basically what all plateaux cuts look like.
-the shank transition is awkward and pinched into both the bowl and shank
-you need to take a lot off that stem behind the button. its pretty darn thick. (reoccurring thing?)
-your symmetry looks to be off a bit in the 3rd and 4th pic
-your pipe outline does not flow very well and has a lot of abrupt stops.

Not to be mean Norm, that's just what I see

PLEASE PLEASE use your focus (directed at everyone). its not hard. My phone can take much better pictures than this because I use manual focus.

hope this helps

-evan
notow1

Post by notow1 »

I don't think Your being mean, I think Your being honest. Where the shank looks pinched do You think I should have left more meat there or taken more off the bottom of the bowl? I am using My Son's camera and only know how to use auto focus. When He comes by next week I will get a crash course in using the manual focus. My eyes are bad to start with and I really thought the pictures were not that bad, everything looks fuzzy to Me. Thanks for the advice, Norm.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

notow1 wrote: Where the shank looks pinched do You think I should have left more meat there or taken more off the bottom of the bowl? .
Both. the bottom side of the shank could have used material to come off.

also, the back of the bowl could use a little bit more material for a smoother transition