shank & bowl

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
sgillett

shank & bowl

Post by sgillett »

Hello to all.....

I've been enjoying learning about pipe making by reading the knowledge-filled posts on this site. Thanks to one & all :thumb:. If this has already been asked & answered, please point me to thread(s) that I overlooked.

I was curious about this particular pipe: http://www.knoxcigar.com/estatepipes.html

It's the egg shape at the top of the page. Is this pipe made out of two pieces of briar where the shank & bowl meet? If not, what technique is used to get the multi-colored band between the shank & bowl? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Thanks for your time, Steve
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

hmmm... that's hard to tell. I'd say it's one solid shape with something painted on or "bent" over the shank. I only say that because it looks like paint or plastic which would leave me to believe there's not a touch enough material there to support such a hefty shank. As far as how he'd do it...

Carefuly!

:P
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

for as long as they host it:

Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'd be shocked if it wasn't two pieces of briar.

That is a great way to make a small block of wood into a large pipe. just make the bowl from the small block, and use a scrap for a separate shank. For decoration, and to make the transition look good, slap some acrylic in between.
sgillett

Post by sgillett »

The pipe is cool 8) . To join the pieces, I assume that a mortice & tenon joint would be the way to go?

Steve
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

It is probably mortised on both the stummel and extension with a tube epoxied in the mortises for a strong joint.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

really? Huh... I just didn't figure there was enough room in the bowl for a long enough mortise/tenon to be inserted... I'm not the one with the big "how to site" tho :)
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

random wrote:It looks pretty clear that it's two pieces, the grain on the extension looks way different from the bowl. Some kind of mortise/tenon joint. I'd never buy it, I don't like having epoxy that close to a heat-source. (I also don't care for the blue color but that's beside the point.) Of course the joint at the bowl could be a press-fit and not epoxied at all, which would be "safer" from a hot-epoxy point of view.
It wouldn't really be safer, as even with a tube there is certainly still the press-fit aspect. Also, if there is a tapered bowl, there is plenty of meat left on the side of the bowl to glue in a tube that wouldn't be too close to the heat.

Let me clarify that by a mortise, I don't mean a necessarily larger hole than the draught hole. With a tube that fits in the draught hole, you effectively have a mortise, though not in the standard way we think of it.

As for the grain, that is unclear. I don't think that pipe is blasted. I think that is Vesz's rustication.
sgillett

Post by sgillett »

Is it unsafe to smoke a corncob pipe?
jeff

Post by jeff »

sgillett wrote:Is it unsafe to smoke a corncob pipe?
Yes, you might get cancer.

Jeff
sgillett

Post by sgillett »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good answer, Jeff!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve