Thickness of bowl?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Vermont Freehand

Re: Thickness of bowl?

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I sold him the kit, as the cheapest block and cheapest kit available anywhere. If one would like a flawless chamber, I recommend buying a predrilled kit that has already been inspected. If one requests a particular block to be drilled, then that is what I do. Here's the block that I was told to drill. If a customer every buys any product from me and doesn't like it, they are more than welcome to send it back for a refund, as long as it is sent back in the condition it was sent out in.
Attachments
222.jpg
(137.75 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

I have no complaints what so ever from vt free hand. It my own mistake. Newbie remember. I didn't know better now I do. Vt freehand was an excellent source for me to buy materials an would recommend them to anyone I know.

Lance
Using Tapatalk
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

uniquebriar wrote:Good effort in trying so hard but whoever sold you that block knew it was full of bad flaws if i was you i would contact the vendor and tell him or her how you feel about the order.
Vermont Freehand is a slippery, wily, profit-minded, takes-no-prisoners, shady-dealin' freebooter. And a spiteful, ornery, and disputatious cuss besides. The PipeWorld's supply equivalent of Steve Fallon the re-seller. Ain't nobody gets along with that guy.

So, I'm not surprised at all that Lance got took by that snake. VF probably saw a newbie comin' and pulled out his worst stuff outa spite.

As for briar, everyone knows it's as regular, even, and predictable as top quality particle board... smooth and blemish-free as a baby's butt. That it's NOT is just a story trumped up by VF and his thievin' kind to get in yer pocket.
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I'll throw my support behind Steve's integrity as a businessman here. It's exceptionally high. I deal almost exclusively with him and he's as honest, kind, and generous as they come.

The flaw in that chamber doesn't look awful for a cheap pipe kit that you're going to smoke yourself. Briar is a fickle mistress. It sucks when you run into a big flaw like that, but it's nothing we haven't all experienced before.

Even Rad: http://pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewto ... f=9&t=6917
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

Ok guys listen. Steve was very generous an kind an answered any questions I had regarding the purchase. As said in post prior. It was extremely cheap block an I asked for him to drill it for me. Steve in no way did anything wrong as a business man. He told me when I asked him that I could have returned the purchase after I inspected it as long as it was for most part in same condition. As you all can see I did alot of carving to this piece an its way past ths point of return. Like I said I have no complaints of Steve. In fact will recommend him to my friends an he will receive my future business. I never had any intent to sell this piece. This was simply a piece of briar block for me to practice on an see what I could come up with. I plan on continuing to wprk on it as I could use the practice. As well as smoke it myself. I had someone once tell me "roll one, smoke one, roll one, smoke one" as a learning process I plan to use this. It might not be best looking or best smoking pipe but it will be a pipe. As for VT FREEHAND I have every intent on bringing my buisness back there because the cost was great, customer sercice was excellent, an shipped extremely quick.

Lance
Using Tapatalk
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

lancefisher51 wrote:Ok guys listen. Steve was very generous an kind an answered any questions I had regarding the purchase. As said in post prior. It was extremely cheap block an I asked for him to drill it for me. Steve in no way did anything wrong as a business man. He told me when I asked him that I could have returned the purchase after I inspected it as long as it was for most part in same condition. As you all can see I did alot of carving to this piece an its way past ths point of return. Like I said I have no complaints of Steve. In fact will recommend him to my friends an he will receive my future business. I never had any intent to sell this piece. This was simply a piece of briar block for me to practice on an see what I could come up with. I plan on continuing to wprk on it as I could use the practice. As well as smoke it myself. I had someone once tell me "roll one, smoke one, roll one, smoke one" as a learning process I plan to use this. It might not be best looking or best smoking pipe but it will be a pipe. As for VT FREEHAND I have every intent on bringing my buisness back there because the cost was great, customer sercice was excellent, an shipped extremely quick.

Lance
Totally understood. I think we're all making sure if anyone "on the outside" reads this thread that they understand what is reasonable in terms of complaints when purchasing briar. Nothing what-so-ever in response to what you've said. You've been very clear about your positive experience with Steve.

-Tyler Beard
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

It'll smoke fine just how it is. Have you read anything about bowl packing?

Sent from my banana phone.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

And George is just busting Steve's balls a bit......because that's what he does.

Most of us here on the forum buy a lot of materials from Steve. Above and beyond is a good way to describe his customer service.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

ImageImage
Saved?

Lance
Using Tapatalk
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Looking good lance, a little think on the sides. Are you going for a prince, or an apple? Put them stem in for the next pics though ok. We really need to see the whole thing. ;)

lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

I was thinking apple only because I know what the basic apple shape looks like. Dont know the Prince. Ill have to look at that one. I know I'm not too close to a perfect apple but.... I'm just going for a shop pipe as long as I saved that block. I know i won't get too making smoke out of it. It is what it is.

Lance
Using Tapatalk
E.L.Cooley

Thickness of bowl?

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Are you having a good time lance?

E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

[url=http://www.daskunstportal.at/pipemaker/ ... =85&t=1390]http://www.daskunstportal.at/pipemaker/ ... =85&t=1390

Mcgregorpipes gave me this link last week. It's in German/some English. When I want to translate one that has not been yet I use my phone w/a translator app. But the descriptions are helpful as to what is expected of a classic shape. Good reading it inspired me. Now I'm only wait on briar. I guess that is how you spot a noob. "Waiting for briar" ha. Do any of you pros ever type that?
You already know this thin walled sucker is better than your last. This one has a stem. Awesome!

PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Hello Lance,

By taking a look at your work and the questions you are asking, I would advise to practice practice research practice, ask a few questions. Also, make sure to research and practice proper file and tool use, how to work wood, and safety procedures. Do not worry so much of making the pipe shapes correct or proper at this moment. It will happen in time. Keep it simple to learn fundamentals.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

uniquebriar wrote:Good effort in trying so hard but whoever sold you that block knew it was full of bad flaws if i was you i would contact the vendor and tell him or her how you feel about the order.
You're a dork.

I feel better now! :D
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:
You're a dork.

I feel better now! :D
Yes, yes.....the briar is the problem here. :roll: :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Not that it's necessary but I thought I'd add that I've done a lot of business with Steve (Vermont Freehand) from the very beginning of my pipemaking journey and can vouch for him. He's one of the best guys in the business. I just thought I'd add that in case someone in the future reads this thread and doesn't know that George is busting his chops.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

On that note Vermont freehand has always been good to me, I'm at the beginning of my journey. Thanks for everything Steve.

lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

ImageImageImage

No were near what I wanted or was hoping for. For my second pipe ( first proper ) I just wanted to be able to save that block a make myself a shop pipe. Practice makes perfect. I can already see a shit ton of flaws, but that's ok because I. Still learning. Just wanted to let you all know. I took off the plateau an went to work to save the pipe. What you all think?

Lance
Using Tapatalk
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Looks pretty much the same as your first one, only with a stem on it. That alone is a big improvement!

Follow Premal's advice. Research research practice practice research practice.

-Tyler Beard