Odd shape

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
lancefisher51

Odd shape

Post by lancefisher51 »

Lance
Using Tapatalk
lancefisher51

Re: Odd shape

Post by lancefisher51 »

ImageImageImage
What would you do with this for the shape?

Lance
Using Tapatalk
baiguai

Post by baiguai »

That is really cool! Might be sweet to keep the top flat and glossy smooth, then round the bottom, and go to a point and rusticate the bottom leaving all the top smooth. That's what I'd probably try with a shape like that.

Can't wait to see it finished!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

We really aren't going to be able to give you any direction with this one. There are no rules in shaping a freehand. As much as you really want to express your creativity, try making a classic shape next. It will help when it comes time to start making freehands. Most of us here (myself included) have been down the road you are currently on. It's not pretty and soon you will wish you had made a billiard or two before you tried something outside the shape chart box.

Hope this helps.....seriously
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Sine you asked... Something like this is all I can see you turning that into

http://www.vauen.de/photo/detail/en/Pur ... .4.10.html

Listen to Scottie

James
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

I understand about the traditional shapes an what have you. However once my brother saw what I was doing he insisted I make him similar to this shape an pattern. Only messing around with this one. My next one will a tradition shape like a poker probably.

Lance
Using Tapatalk
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

It's really hard to tell whether that's going to look good or bad before we see a stem in it. The stem is always part of the overall shape, never just an afterthought.

The hook shape at the bottom is aesthetically interesting, and it has potential. A straight stem would set it off well, especially if the stem were the same length as the rest of the pipe. In fact, a stem that is square in cross-section might work. Regardless, the lines on the top of the stummel should flow directly into the stem. Otherwise, the junction will be too visually abrupt.

While it's probably true that there are no set "rules" for shaping a freehand, I think most of the folks here would agree that some freehands look better than others. Aesthetic principles of balance, proportion, and consistency, as well as practical considerations such as mechanics and overall size, are still fully relevant to freehand pipes.
- Steve S.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Sometimes harsher judgement may be forthcoming on a freehand, since Quality and craftsmanship still must come into play. :evil: