I need your opinion and criticisms...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
randyhoguepipes

I need your opinion and criticisms...

Post by randyhoguepipes »

These are some of my first pipes. They are no where near perfect but I would imagine them to be good smokers. I am a beginning pipe maker from Georgia and would greatly appreciate any thoughts and/or criticisms you might have. Please be gentle.

Randy
Charl

Re: I need your opinion and criticisms...

Post by Charl »

Put them in the Gallery.
And read the Sticky first.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Not bad for first few pipes. Keep at it. This forum has a near endless supply of information, so do some reading when you have spare time. Also, take a look at other pipes that many retailers sell for ideas of what looks good.

Criticism is rarely gentle.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Welcome.
Best regards.
Félix

Bienvenido.
Saludos.
Félix
randyhoguepipes

My apologies for posting these images in the wrong arena. I am unable to delete them. Mr. Moderator, would you please do so? Thanks.

Randy
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

It's not that it's the wrong arena. You should post each pipe in its own thread. With a series of pics of each one. In the top of the gallery for there lives a sticky thread that gives good advise as to what photos of a pipe help to determine how it is. I'll go look it up. That is all Charl was getting at. If you post them like that it is easier for someone else to critique it

Sent from my banana phone.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

randyhoguepipes wrote:My apologies for posting these images in the wrong arena. I am unable to delete them. Mr. Moderator, would you please do so? Thanks.

Randy
viewtopic.php?t=8876

Yeah that's the one go read that. If those are all the pics you have of each of those. At least post them separately so some one could actually respond. That's all I thought they looked ok but didn't stop because I didn't want to try to remember was that #3 or #4. Good piping

Sent from my banana phone.
Frank

Post by Frank »

randyhoguepipes wrote:Please be gentle.
Actually, you don't want the critiques to be gentle. You want all the flaws pointed out - that's how you learn to get better at it. The critics here can be brutally honest, but never rude. The rude ones are soon told to GTFO!

I will leave others better qualified to point out other flaws, but I did notice a novice mistake in your stem to shank transition/s. The edges of the shanks on all three pipes are rounded over. This usually happens when you buff/polish the shank with the stem removed. You should always sand, buff & polish the shank/stem joint with the stem in the shank. That is how to avoid "roundover" where you want a nice sharp, crisp edge.

It also looks like the stem in the third/bottom picture is slightly wider at the shank transition. Same remedy as above - sand both shank and stem together with the stem attached to the pipe.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
randyhoguepipes

All good information. Thank you all for your time. I will read read the sticky on the proper way to post. Good info on sanding the stem with the pipe attached. See you soon.

Randy