my first pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Josh B.

my first pipe

Post by Josh B. »

this is my first pipe. I'm still working with only files and sandpaper other than than a drill press. i'm fully open to any critique, its ok to make it sting a bit. I'v really found my passion in pipe making and i want to do it well.

and p.s. i know this isnt the place for advice but any bits of info you may have to help my stem/shank junction tighter would be greatly appreciated. i always seem to put a small cut in one side of the stem while shaping the face where the shank meets and it makes a gap. i spent 4 hours and 3 premold stems to get it to this point
Attachments
IMG_6978.jpg
IMG_6978.jpg (58.19 KiB) Viewed 478 times
IMG_8933.jpg
IMG_8933.jpg (66.53 KiB) Viewed 478 times
IMG_4238.jpg
IMG_4238.jpg (71.94 KiB) Viewed 478 times
Josh B.

Re: my first pipe

Post by Josh B. »

more pictures
Attachments
IMG_7209.jpg
IMG_7209.jpg (82.07 KiB) Viewed 477 times
IMG_6905.jpg
IMG_6905.jpg (70.12 KiB) Viewed 477 times
mrsmitty

Post by mrsmitty »

For your first pipe I say you done pretty good. Did you make the stem or is this a pre-made stem?
Josh B.

Post by Josh B. »

its a pre mold but i thinned it to a much milder oval and thinned the taper of it a good bit and reworked the button. found out even with pre-made its still alot of work to get it where you want it
Gethenet

Post by Gethenet »

I can only hope my first one looks as nice!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

To improve the junction between the stem and shank, use a flat file and file from shank to stem diagonally using a light touch. File around the diameter of the stem. For round shanks, give the stem a 1/4 turn after each time around the shank to keep it symmetrical. After roughing with a file, do the same with each grit of sandpaper. Never file, sand, or buff that area without the stem attached.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com