1402 - George

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
T. Suominen

1402 - George

Post by T. Suominen »

Hi.

Here's the second one for the year. Why is it named george? I really don't know, somewhere along the way it just came to me that this here's a George :).
It's the first one i've fitted for a 9 mm filter.

Sadly the alignment with the tobacco chamber and the draft hole are off about an millimeter and a half, so i'll be trying to sell this one for discounted price. Boy it would be nice to have some market for them... It's a very fullfilling hobby but it would feel good to have some actual sales also...
Oh well.

Fire away! Be truthful without any fear of hurting my feelings.
Jump on me like piranhas on a swimming cow!

And thanks for looking!
When you abstain from shouting, you embrace hearing.

http://tspipes.kuvat.fi
LatakiaLover

Re: 1402 - George

Post by LatakiaLover »

Now, this is a first. :lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
UncleDraken

Post by UncleDraken »

I like that contrast! How did you go about doing it?
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
millerman

Post by millerman »

I know I am still new to this hobby, so I may not offer a lot of constructive criticism, but I like it. I like the flow, and the stain. I have been thinking of doing a filter pipe myself. You have given me inspiration. Thanks fer sharing.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I will love him and squeeze him and call him George.

That's a good looking pipe but I don't like the stem. It looks like it can't decide if it wants to be a taper or a saddle. If you're going for saddle then commit big otherwise don't do it. You have a couple small flaws that would probably be mostly concealed with a darker stain. I like the bowl shape a lot although it looks like you may have taken a touch too much off the port side cheek. Nice work overall.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
T. Suominen

Post by T. Suominen »

LatakiaLover wrote:Now, this is a first. :lol:
:lol: . Please don't be offended, i wasn't thinking of you. Unless you really REALLY like it, in that case i was thinking just you and no one else :)...
UncleDraken wrote:I like that contrast! How did you go about doing it?
With black, brown and yellow stains.

Thanks Wayne.
wdteipen wrote:it looks like you may have taken a touch too much off the port side cheek.
I did notice that when posting the photos... I'm pretty sure it's a lightning problem, but must check out once i get back home...

pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Thats a very nice pipe.Wayne has a point.I make a lot of 9mm pipes and find You have to commit, especially on more classical shapes.It stood out also to me.
On free hands, even you still have rules, even when bending them.The Pipe is gorgeous.I'm thinking of buying a bulldog and naming him George :I want to pet it too, I wont hurt it. :lol:
Yak

Post by Yak »

Nice design sense ! And nice execution.

Except the stem. Everywhere else on the pipe you have graceful, flowing curvature that stops abruptly at edges and intersections. But the articulation of the round stem into the flat part is blobby. It spoils the rest.
Those edges want to be similarly curvacious (IMO) and terminate just as abruptly & clean-edgedly.

FWIW
T. Suominen

Post by T. Suominen »

Thanks for the comments!

I initially had a saddle stem in mind, but then realized that it couldn's be done without cutting into the filter-hole... so i ended up with this compromise, which more often than not is a bad idea.
The round part of the stem could've been longer but then i think it would've looked proportionally off and silly. Maybe some sort of wide accent ring to ease up the length, dunno...

Luckily, there's always the next time :).

BTW, i checked the cheekilesness problem and can't see it while holding the pipe in hand... Maybe i have crooked eyes, or it is a light thing.
On the other hand i also think that these light thingies accentuate problems rather than create them.
Light it the liqueur of pipes :).

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

wdteipen wrote:I will love him and squeeze him and call him George.

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.