Finished this one Saturday

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
millerman

Finished this one Saturday

Post by millerman »

Well, I finished this one Saturday. This was the shape that the block screamed to me that it wanted to be. I wanted to do a more classic shape, but the block just didn't want to cooperate, while sketching. So it is what is it. I'm kinda on the fence about it. One day I'm happy with it and like it. Next day I don't like it at all. It's comfortable in my hand. I may just put it away for awhile. Sometimes when I do that, when I pull it back out I find that I like it. Or I may just decide I hate it. Then again I might just get rid of it. Anyways thanks fer looking.

As always feel free to critique. I think I need my legs beat with a rose bush for this one.
Josh B.

Re: Finished this one Saturday

Post by Josh B. »

iv always pondered making a pipe with a very wide shallow bowl but never could think of a way to make it not look like big frying pan or something but i think you've found something that works really nice. its funky but i like it, as far as any critique i would just say bring the top of the stem/shank junction down and make it a sharper transition. other that its a very unique pipe that i think looks quite nice
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Well millerman, I really know nothing. The profile shots make me want to hold it. I think the color and grain are great. I agree with josh on the sharper transition. However, from the top I really want it to be round even with the bowl. I think if you put it away for a while when you took it back out it would say to you, "sorry, I said Dublin not freehand." As always a grain of salt from me. But it would be a lovely Dublin. Ps really like the stem too.

Sent from my banana phone.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I concur with Ccoolee in that my eye is really wanting the bowl to be round looking at it from the top. You're on the right track though. Keep making more pipes.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
millerman

Post by millerman »

Thanks guys. I see what you are saying. And I tend to agree. I'm going to try to put it away and see what I think in a month or so. Again thanks fer looking and giving advice.
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

Regarding the top of the bowl; yes round, or exaggerated oval.
Shank to bowl trans, yes sharper.

Otherwise, nice work, please continue.
Yak

Post by Yak »

I think the irregularities in the profile (top view) aren't justified by what you're showing of the grain doing it that way.
Josh B.

Post by Josh B. »

when i saw this pipe something with lines closer to this is what i saw in my head almost instantly for some reason
Attachments
IMG_0260_zpsaa92f6a7.jpg
(69.41 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
IMG_0265_zps2677ad50.jpg
(72.87 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
millerman

Post by millerman »

Yep, I agree with yall. I didn't realize how bad the top looked until I looked at the pictures. I'm planning on revisiting this pipe for sure. I just need to take a break from this one. Actually, I've got one I need to do fer a friend. So, I probably rushed this one towards the end. I do really appreciate everyone's comments. I'll be showing the improved model in the not so distant future.