Great vice for the hobby pipe carver

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Mrpickwick

Great vice for the hobby pipe carver

Post by Mrpickwick »

Hi Everybody

Since I have been carving pipes at home I have been looking for a good vice that could hold the stummel while filing & sanding it on odd angles. Recently I saw that Proxxon had just released a new vice called the FMZ which has a ball clamp system but it wasn't available here in Japan so I ordered one from a online woodworking supply store in Australia. It's very well made and has been of great use to me while filing & sanding etc. It also comes with rubber covers to protect the jaws as well so you don't mark the wood you have spent hours sanding etc . If you are a hobby pipe maker at home this would be a good purchase I think. You can check out a link showing a picture of it here

http://naturecoast.com/hobby/pr28608.htm

Happy pipe carving

Don Speden
Spedenpipes :D
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I thought for sure this was going to be a thread about drinking heavily :)
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

This does look like a great vice and a very reasonable price!!!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Seems to me that Scotch and Bourbon are the number one vices of pipe makers but then again.....

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
jeff

Post by jeff »

sagiter wrote:Seems to me that Scotch and Bourbon are the number one vices of pipe makers but then again.....

Neil
We know of at least one for whom this may be true. 8O
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

I prefer Highland Park 12 y.o. myself.

:thumb:
rathpipe

PIpe vise

Post by rathpipe »

Don Speden
Spedenpipes

Hello Don,
I bought a vise, like the one you picture, at Lowe's and have seen them at Menard's, in the States. Mine does not clamp on but has a base with a place for three screws to attach it to your workbench, it holds very well and has a large threaded collar that can be adjusted to change the angle of the jaws. The instructions say not to use a hammer to tighten the collar but I do and have not had any problems, about $20. With a wooden dowel in the jaws, it serves me very well.
The guys had a good time with this vise thing, to let you know, I had to use Webster's to figure out that I have both a pipe vise and a pipe vice.

Happy Puffin'
Larry
NvilleDave

Re: PIpe vise

Post by NvilleDave »

rathpipe wrote: I had to use Webster's to figure out that I have both a pipe vise and a pipe vice.

Happy Puffin'
Larry
LOL! Good one!

Dave
Nick

Post by Nick »

LOL!

Too funny Larry!

I toy with the idea of a vise every now and then, but I just haven't gotten around to one. I seem to do Ok without it. Does using a vase make a big difference?
rathpipe

Post by rathpipe »

Hello NIck,
A vise does work for me ( I might need to get Websters out again) since I am hand filing when I get close to the desired shape. I can work a bit on one side and then rotate the pipe on the dowel to another position for more filing. I find that it saves on my hands, also. I have had Carpal Tunnel surgery on both hands and two fingers and am doing my best not to get it back.
Larry