Looking for some insight

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Looking for some insight

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I was wondering if you guys would have an opinion on this shape. It is made by someone you may know, but I tried to disguise the "branding" so we can focus on the shape of the pipe(who made it isnt important, no, it wasnt me). I know it makes it hard to pick out the lines, especially at the bottom but what do you think? I made A similar pipe recently, but in my "style". what makes these lines appealing or unappealing to you? This isnt a trap or a setup, i dont plan on revealing the maker, and if you know or think you know please don't reply publicly.
The Smoking Yeti

Re: Looking for some insight

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Ha! I know who it is cus' I saw this pipe today! Everything about this pipe is cut really well- there is certainly a lot of finesse that goes into a shape like this though. It's VERY easy to leave to much meat on the pipe. I think ********** did a great job with it.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The front of the bowl looks a bit too flat and the stem taper is too steep and changes direction. Otherwise, I think it looks good.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I've got mixed feelings on the front of the bowl line I think more angles are helpful here. This pipe was classified as a billiard- which is wrong, it's a dublin. I see what you mean by the shank taper though.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Joe Hinkle Pipes

I was confused by the billiard label too. Maybe its a little ambiguous and somewhere between a dublin and a billiard? Something seemed off, and I wasnt sure if it was just lightyears beyond my capability, or some of the lines were truly weird.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I like the shape. It's definitely a Dublin though and the stem bend could be done better. It kinks in the middle instead of a more graceful, flowing curve that it could be. Still a handsome shape and pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

It's almost a graceful combination between a Stanwell and a Peterson shape-wise.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
BobR

Post by BobR »

My gut feeling is it's not esthetically appealing. YMMV.
Bob
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Thats it! i thought it was the billiard/dublin thing, but its the shank/stem lines along with the silver band that looks like A peterson.
bob, i think the same thing every time i see a volcano. It always looks like a billiard that is stuck inside an unfinished block.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

This is the kind of pipe I make pretty often, and the kinds of errors I make pretty often are showing up here too.

Overall: Proportions are pretty good if a little chunky, a little Italian, but the whole vibe is not a lean English pipe so that's cool. It's a dublin, not a billiard. There's no arguing that it's a billiard. Billiards are not larger at the rim then in the mid section.

Stem: button looks great, the line of the bottom of the stem is perfect, nice curve. Top of the stem has an "elbow" where it transitions onto the metal. Works on a straight pipe, on a bent you need a bit more grace in the shaping, especially tough in conjunction with the band. I'm not super fond of how it's bent, the bend moves back into a straight section toward the button, I'd rather see the curve continued/hinted at all the way.

Shank: Works with the overall aesthetic and the slow curve is nice. Doesn't go far enough imho and the heel/chin of the bowl is still too pronounced. "Castello" rather than "Stanwell" in this way.

So this looks like a quality piece to me, but not a perfect piece in certain ways, whatever that's supposed to mean. And anyone who has tried to put a metal band (which looks very nicely done) on a sweeping curve knows it's nearly impossible to get all the elements right.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

You guys have pointed out what was bothering me, but I couldn't place. The abrupt bend was obvious to me, the other things are visible, but hard to articulate why they look odd. Thanks for the input Sas!