Pipe reviews?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
E.L.Cooley

Pipe reviews?

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Hey all,
So wandering online I saw a review of a pipe by a known maker on PMF. I read it as the owner was saying it was favorable. But kind of nitpicking the pipe. Some of the things he said about it, would possibly steer away potential clients from the maker. I had a hard time believing some of the things he said.
Now, if there was a review that reads as less than favorable of one of your pipes would you want it copied and pm'd to you so you could decide if the owner was for real and if he could be tarnishing your reputation? Or if you needed to reach out to the pipe owner?
Eric

Sent from my banana phone.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Re: Pipe reviews?

Post by NathanA »

I would want to know, but that might just be me. I can't speak for everyone.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
DeflictedPipes

Pipe reviews?

Post by DeflictedPipes »

Ccoolee wrote:Hey all,
So wandering online I saw a review of a pipe by a known maker on PMF. I read it as the owner was saying it was favorable. But kind of nitpicking the pipe. Some of the things he said about it, would possibly steer away potential clients from the maker. I had a hard time believing some of the things he said.
Now, if there was a review that reads as less than favorable of one of your pipes would you want it copied and pm'd to you so you could decide if the owner was for real and if he could be tarnishing your reputation? Or if you needed to reach out to the pipe owner?
Eric
I was thinking the same thing as I read that. He was seriously nitpicking it and it would make anyone think twice.
(majkeli on reddit)
Mike
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

DeflictedPipes wrote:
I was thinking the same thing as I read that. He was seriously nitpicking it and it would make anyone think twice.
(majkeli on reddit)
I thought it was crap (the review) like he was saying it was great, but then nitpicking it at the same time. Weird, maybe I should go read it again. I might be over reacting, I'll go read it again.

d.huber

Post by d.huber »

If it were mine I'd want to know immediately so I could address my customer's concerns.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Just read the thread on reddit. I'm familiar with the author. The pipe in question is not mine, but the guy is being very nit picky and things sound way worse than they are, based on the photos. None of the commenters seem concerned about the issues he saw and seem to doubt their existence. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Yeah huber I could see no fault in the photos. But we all know my eye is not calibrated.

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Yeah, it was mine :lol: Just read the review (thanks David). Don't really have much to say. Other than there is no light gap unless you stick the junction up to a 1000 watt light bulb. The tenon shoulder is still something that I struggle with. But, I'm cutting my tenons by hand on a wood lathe. The maple gave me fits. The tearout was pretty bad on one end. If I had used clear epoxy this would be a non issue. It is NOT drilled croocked.....it has a plateaux to and I oriented the grain correctly :twisted: .

Okay.....gonna go eat some ice cream now and calm down. All press is good press. :thumbsup:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Sorry for bringing it up Scottie. But I didn't think it was fair esp if he didn't contact you and posted a review like that. Eating chili but would rather have ice cream

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

No worries. I had a nice little rant in the shop. Took my frustration out on a stem and now all is right in the world again. Tomorrow is a new day and there's no such thing as bad advertising :)
www.ladybriar.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Scottie, You get stronger every minute.The wood lathe is harder, But so are you.I like your pipes of late.You clearly have a dream and you are making it happen.You are a good example for women and for that matter men too in the philosophy of success.
you are a winner,You make it happen.I Know you are a perfectionist, but cut yourself some slack.It's not going to happen, It's Happening! Enjoy you're journey,respectfully john.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

I agree with john. You're an example for me. Probably why I got annoyed about it.

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

By any chance would any of you still have a link to this review on reddit?
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

No after you killed that guy and his family and everyone he'd ever been friends with, things got awful quiet. :shock:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I would want to know as well, both so I could address the concerns with the customer, and know where the perceived faults lie. scottie, didnt you buy a metal lathe a year and a half ago? are you still waiting for parts?
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Yeah, I got a little Craftsman 109. It is almost up and running. I have gotten a lot better turning tenons on the wood lathe while I wait.

This guy was just really picky with a pipe that he paid less than $300 for. So I used the wrong color of epoxy....shoot me dead. My biggest problem with the entire thing was he had sent me an email about how perfect the pipe was and how much he loved it. Then 2 days later he trashes me on Reddit. I learned from it....and I won't ever make another pipe for the guy.
www.ladybriar.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

i see. It makes life so much easier, i just assumed you are using the craftsman for tenons. I searched for the thread, but didnt have any luck finding it.