bevel vs dome

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
notow1

bevel vs dome

Post by notow1 »

Recently there was some discussion about a bevel or dome on top of the bowl. I think I like the bevel more but haven't made a pipe with a domed top, so I thought maybe I should try to make one of each. I decided to use two very similar blocks and try to make identical pipes except one will have a beveled top and the other a domed top. This will take Me a while but I thought I would throw the idea out there for other novice pipe makers that are looking for a challenge to develop Their pipe making skills. When I am finished I hope to get someone to take photos I can post, thanks, Norm.
caskwith

Re: bevel vs dome

Post by caskwith »

I like domed edges (on the right pipes) but my customers seem to prefer bevelled or chamfered rims. Dead easy to do on the lathe ;)
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Anything to make the pipe easier to stuff, whether a bevel or a dome is important in my opinion. I personally prefer the look of a dome, but it does vary by the shape of the pipe.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

dome all the way. I am making a small Dublin right now with a beveled rim and I think it looks like shit. but that's what the guy wants so who am I to tell him differently.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

You're the pipe maker, wisemanpipes. That's who. And if you don't like the bevel, you're silencing your voice in the briar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

sandahlpipe wrote:You're the pipe maker, wisemanpipes. That's who. And if you don't like the bevel, you're silencing your voice in the briar.

Sometimes you have to set aside personal preference to give a customer what he wants. :wink:

Rad
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

RadDavis wrote:
sandahlpipe wrote:You're the pipe maker, wisemanpipes. That's who. And if you don't like the bevel, you're silencing your voice in the briar.

Sometimes you have to set aside personal preference to give a customer what he wants. :wink:

Rad
Ding ding ding!

Make your customer happy then make something expressive. It's good for you to create something you wouldn't naturally do. That's one way that we learn, even if you learn not to do something in the future.

You can also recommend what you think would look best. The worst they'll do is say no.

You can always walk a sale if you are completely unwilling to comprise but I wouldn't recommend that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I vote dome but bevel can look good if applied to the right design.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

The same pipe can might look good with either a dome or a bevel but it just gives a different general "feeling" to it, depending also on the choice of color, stem material, etc. A dome gives a more modern, "danish" look, as well as making the bowl look a bit chubbier. A bevel looks more classical and understated. You just have to choose which look you're trying to achieve.

About making the customer happy- it kinda depends on what the customer wants and whether it's really against your aesthetic sense. I usually try to find a compromise, the only thing I always refuse to do is that ridiculous invention of a 9mm filter.
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

keilwerth wrote: the only thing I always refuse to do is that ridiculous invention of a 9mm filter.
The only thing 9mm is good for is shooting, and not even that if there is a .45 around. :P

I like both domes and bevels. I think it depends on the rest of the style of the pipe.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Bevel or Dome depending on shape, but I will adamantly say that convex is always going to look better than concave. And a convex surface is much easier to polish and finish.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

IAWR&P

bevels are a bitch to polish and i am not "silencing my voice" i just am doing what he wants and thinks looks good (hes the one with the money, remember). Have you ever had a customer say i want a billiard and go nah ill make you a dublin because thats what i think looks better? obvious extremes but its the same principle. if your customer wants something, who are you to say otherwise (9mm filters and churchwardens are exceptions)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

What's the big deal with filters? You guys are funny. Drill the goddam stem out. It ain't rocket surgery.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I like a nice domed bevel on some pipes; and I like a nice totally domed rim on others. The thing I really don't like at all is a flat bowl rim. That will make me crazy.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Suck me.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Or, put slightly more politely, this whole conversation should be seen as completely empty of content because no specific shape of pipe is being talked about.

It's like asking whether you prefer coke or milk. Well, do you have rum or kahlua to put in it? This is important.

I see the fact that people are talking about this as though you could possibly be making sense in an over-arching way as proof that in fact this domed rim shit is a fad generated by some (very nice) recent Danish uber-high grades. Everyone's excited about it, and like a bunch of schoolgirls, flock to the master's feet.

"Domed, oh yeah."

You know what that sounds like to me? It sounds like someone who doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about.

That's as polite as I'm gonna get on this. You can make an awesome pipe with a domed rim. You can make an awesome pipe with a bevelled rim (flat) a bevelled rim (concave) a bevelled rim (convex) and you can make an awesome pipe with a flat top. The rest of the shaping, the rest of the aesthetic will determine which might be the most suitable. OR you can make a pipe with the domed (or whatever) being a dominant feature and make the rest of the pipe around that. It still doesn't make it right for some other pipe.

I'm sorry, but there it is.
Yak

Post by Yak »

Couldn't agree more strongly.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sasquatch wrote:Or, put slightly more politely, this whole conversation should be seen as completely empty of content because no specific shape of pipe is being talked about.

It's like asking whether you prefer coke or milk. Well, do you have rum or kahlua to put in it? This is important.

I see the fact that people are talking about this as though you could possibly be making sense in an over-arching way as proof that in fact this domed rim shit is a fad generated by some (very nice) recent Danish uber-high grades. Everyone's excited about it, and like a bunch of schoolgirls, flock to the master's feet.

"Domed, oh yeah."

You know what that sounds like to me? It sounds like someone who doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about.

That's as polite as I'm gonna get on this. You can make an awesome pipe with a domed rim. You can make an awesome pipe with a bevelled rim (flat) a bevelled rim (concave) a bevelled rim (convex) and you can make an awesome pipe with a flat top. The rest of the shaping, the rest of the aesthetic will determine which might be the most suitable. OR you can make a pipe with the domed (or whatever) being a dominant feature and make the rest of the pipe around that. It still doesn't make it right for some other pipe.

I'm sorry, but there it is.
I'm just glad you think it's a fad...six months ago no one was talking about rims at all.

My work here is done.

8)
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I so glad to be a repairman. :lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

LatakiaLover wrote:I so glad to be a repairman. :lol:
You started it posting the bevel on your Dublin. (Which in that case was a good move,IMO...it suited that pipe.)

Every freaking pipe since then has been beveled. It has been my life's goal ever since to stop that train.

:D :D :D